Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Mal's email had me very perplexed. Like I said after the watching the press conference, maybe I need to take a step back from league etc but if our club has gone from wanting a winning culture and taking the two points home through effort to what appears to be an attitude of well we didn't win but we didn't walk off the field in disgust of ourselves and the bad calls from the refs.

I don't get it. What am I missing? Yes our attack looked a hell of a lot better when AJ came on, Taylor played a hell of a lot better too, but look at the team we were playing!!!! They were below us on the table and in a form slump and we still can't beat them. Imagine if we played that game against the Rabbits or Roosters, it'd be a massacre.

Couldn't agree more JunctionBlock I am a little lost on what direction this club is taking, Mal's email was very underwhelming so it seems to me the new culture at the club is that winning doesn't matter any more, not sure what to think at the moment

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Mal's email had me very perplexed. Like I said after the watching the press conference, maybe I need to take a step back from league etc but if our club has gone from wanting a winning culture and taking the two points home through effort to what appears to be an attitude of well we didn't win but we didn't walk off the field in disgust of ourselves and the bad calls from the refs.

I don't get it. What am I missing? Yes our attack looked a hell of a lot better when AJ came on, Taylor played a hell of a lot better too, but look at the team we were playing!!!! They were below us on the table and in a form slump and we still can't beat them. Imagine if we played that game against the Rabbits or Roosters, it'd be a massacre.
    Mal’s email made me think he has run out of ideas and words of comfort. I think he’s over Brennan like the rest of us.

QLD Cup

Any chance someone could post the email?

Dear Shaun,

After a very disappointing Anzac week, what I wanted to see from the Titans against the Cowboys was a show of desire.

What I saw jump through the TV screen on Friday night was that the message of making performances matter is resonating with this team.

While leaving Townsville with the two points was the ultimate goal, being able to walk off the field with their heads held high was almost as important.

Yes, it was another loss.

But the performance of the team showed me the Titans have the attitude to want to get better, and get the best out of themselves.

I thought the game against the Cowboys was our best of the season so far to be honest. It was the most dangerous I have seen them in 2019.

They showed great character for the entire 80 minutes to keep hanging in there, when they had so many things going against them.

The Titans were down to 14 men at one stage because of HIA and injury. They were on the wrong end of some tough refereeing decisions, and luck was not on their side.

But they kept persevering. They kept themselves in the hunt.

They kept trying.

Yes, they made things tough for themselves as well – a 65 per cent completion rate was never going to cut the mustard against a team like the Cowboys who were there to just complete their sets.

But here is the thing – and you won’t hear a rugby league coach say this too often: I would prefer to see them play that style of footy and come up with errors, rather than tuck the ball under their arm and play safe to get to a completion rate of 80 per cent.

The only way this Titans team is going to consistently win matches is by playing to its strengths – and what we saw in Townsville is an indicator of what they are capable of.

They looked dangerous with the ball, they asked questions of North Queensland’s defence. They played with freedom and confidence with the ball, and showed great intent with their defence as well.

Yes, there were too many mistakes. But the last thing I would want to see this weekend against the Sharks is for them to go back into their shells because they are afraid of making errors.

The more they play to their strengths and back themselves, the better they will get at it, and the less mistakes they will make.

Perfect practice makes perfect. It starts at training. With a willingness to keep persevering, the rewards will come.

There are still plenty of things to work on as Garth Brennan and his team prepare the team this week. Our discipline is nowhere near where it needs to be.

We are the most penalised team in the competition, and that is
    just not good enough.

We are making too many errors with and without the ball to be able to challenge the better teams ahead.

There’s a call within the side called “Scrap”. We need to “scrap” better.

Each player makes it their responsibility to win the contest when the ball is on the ground, a kick comes their way, or an effort is needed. Beat your opposition in every moment.

You must earn the right to win a game.

Like I said, in the game against the Cowboys, I saw a lot of those qualities in the way the Titans played. It is why I think the team is on the right track.

There is still plenty of time to achieve something this season if the players want it badly enough.

While I said all 17 players contributed to the loss to the Tigers, all 17 were responsible for a pleasing display of intent and purpose against the Cowboys.

The key now is for us to build on it, not go backwards because we are worried about making mistakes.

Our key word is accountability to make the right decision, and to execute the right skill when needed. If we have that desire to keep playing with similar intent, the more we will get it right.

Mal Meninga

QLD Cup

Thanks mate. Thats a very interesting take from Mal. Seems like he is running out of things to say

I think he was just saying what he could to keep some forward momentum ... let's not forget that AJ only got on there because of an injury ... this is perplexing to say the least. I can't believe that Matthews hasn't made it back yet.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

It wasn't surprising to see Mal end up in this situation. There is only so many things you can say, especially with things not changing much in recent history. Being forced into a weekly email when the results really are going in the wrong direction can be a trap. I think Mal should just hold fire and chime in when he can and needs to, his impact would be greater. He doesn't need to tie himself to the week in week out results.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER