Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 47 53 54 55 56 57 58 LastLast

Gee you guys are hard markers.
    My recollection was that the Titans offered to give Brennan the extra year to ensure that potential recruits had some certainty who the coach was going to be.
    Hindsight is a splendid thing and history now shows that it was a poor decision.
    A plan to ensure the capture of quality recruits which turned to custard, who would have guessed?

Except that the club has come out and said that the reason they extended him was because he felt threatened by Mal's presence and wanted the extra year as insurance..

Rep Player

Have they actually said that? That doesn't sound like something professional administrators would say.

Junior

'He's ready': Why the Titans believe they got the right man

Author
    Mal Meninga
    NRL.com Columnist
    Timestamp
    Sat 3 Aug 2019

There is so much more to being an NRL coach than having NRL experience.

The coach we chose to lead the Titans – Justin Holbrook – has had NRL experience, he knows what is required from the first day of pre-season training to the last day of the club football calendar. But his other skill sets are what attracted us to him.

He has been a seasonal coach in control for a long period. He has done his apprenticeship, he has worked at clubs like the Bulldogs, Dragons and Eels, he’s coached the Junior Kangaroos and been an assistant at the Roosters.

Then you add in his exceptional work with St Helens in Super League. We believe he is ready.

There is a whole set of skills you need to have as an NRL coach besides coaching prowess.

Your ability to handle pressure and stress is paramount at the elite level. To have strong people, communication, leadership and teaching skills to name a few. To love what you do is really important as there is much duress a NRL coach is under - while it’s also strangely cathartic for them.

People have asked why a two-year deal initially.

There are incentives built into his contract so Justin can have the job for as long as wants it. This is our desire, we will do everything possible to support him so he becomes a long term coach. But at the same time, we also want success, that's the very innate nature of a NRL club and its members.

He knows all of this. He also knows the Titans are not at breaking point.

We are in for the long-haul in making this club a great community club. We are focused on making the Titans a real success story, and dispel the theory that national sporting clubs won’t survive on the Gold Coast.

We needed the right person. We make decisions in the best interests of the club and our two owners, the Kelly and Frizelle families. They have put their reputations and hard-earned into the Titans and made many sacrifices for us to continue in our pursuit of excellence.

That’s why we entered into the process we did. We were the head-hunters. There were many justifiable worthy candidates. Our approach was exhaustive in our search for the person we wanted, we did our due diligence, we controlled the process and then we formally interviewed Justin Holbrook.

We were always very mindful of the speculation that surrounds such an appointment. We chose to keep it in-house at the Titans as we had been entrusted by the owners to find the right person.

It was decided there is very little good in interviewing a whole range of people. What are the repercussions of not getting the job? More speculation, why didn’t they get it, they should have got it, why wasn’t he interviewed? I can go on about the what if’s and maybes.

At the end of the day, our decision was the only one that really mattered. We will easily live with that. We are employed by the club to make these types of decisions – and in this case probably one of the most important decisions in the club's history.

We canvassed that among ourselves, privately, confidentially and diligently.

And we got the right man to be our coach.

I can’t read the article , however on the CM it’s saying that the Walker Bros are splitting up. Interesting seeing how they threw their hat in the ring to coach us !!!
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

One walker is staying on wit the jets and ones going back to the family business and will only coach if a NRL opportunity arises. I wonder how true it is about Furner and Iro coming on-board as assistants as their has been no further information/speculation on Holbrook assistants

Inactive User

We only have the Storm in Melbourne this week. No problem.
    Mal Meninga/Jimmy Lenihan need to be the Coach’s.

Let Hodges/Burt/Ferris carry the equipment and mix the drinks and work on updating their CVs.

Mark Hammer of Tweed Heads Seagulls can do the fitness and conditioning till seasons end
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 18-08-19 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    We only have the Storm in Melbourne this week. No problem.
    I had to look it up. The record for an NRL match is 74-4.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    I had to look it up. The record for an NRL match is 74-4.
    Was that Parramatta v Cronulla?

If so I remember it well
    Shane Hayne sent off two Cronulla players and sin binned two other Sharks.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 18-08-19 at 08:23 PM.

That's the one. The all time record of 91-6 is probably safe though. Too much time wasted in the modern game to get to 91.

Inactive User

I’m amazed Garth hasn’t done an interview since we punted him

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’m amazed Garth hasn’t done an interview since we punted him
    Probably not asked to do one or not interested in doing so.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Probably not asked to do one or not interested in doing so.
    I’m pretty confident the likes of Badel Kent Rothfield etc would love to do one

He's probably still on holidays in NZ enjoying a paid vacation.

First Grader

I bet Holbrook is kicking himself with the Newcastle job available and him being a former player.