Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 LastLast

I think saying we won’t be competitive until 2023 is ridiculous. Just remember that this team was tipped for the 8 by most people and it’s obvious that they stopped playing for Garth a long time ago. With Arrow and James back we will have a great pack, AJ is a gun, Kelly and Watkins look solid enough out in the centres. If Holbrook is really that good he should be able to get the best out of Ash and Cartwright who can be weapons. Obviously we have a lot of plodders in the squad so injuries would really hurt us, but theres enough talent in the top 17 to compete. The main thing we need to improve is defence.

Quote Originally Posted by hangingon View Post
    I think saying we won’t be competitive until 2023 is ridiculous. Just remember that this team was tipped for the 8 by most people and it’s obvious that they stopped playing for Garth a long time ago. With Arrow and James back we will have a great pack, AJ is a gun, Kelly and Watkins look solid enough out in the centres. If Holbrook is really that good he should be able to get the best out of Ash and Cartwright who can be weapons. Obviously we have a lot of plodders in the squad so injuries would really hurt us, but theres enough talent in the top 17 to compete. The main thing we need to improve is defence.
    Don't think most people had us in the 8, was just looking and most had us from 10th-14th but we've definitely finished lower than even them expectations. That being said I do agree we have the roster capable of challenging for the 8 if we clear a bit of deadwood and pick up some quality in return. We have a good building base of guys like Arrow, Wallace, James, Kelly, Brimson, Taylor (when he's on) etc. But until we clear the rubbish it will drag the good down and we won't be improving much. So hopefully this "not letting players go" stuff is us fibbing to the media.\

Looking at players I would try to clear over the off season are ones that are off contract in 2020 with Copley, Latu and even Peats are the ones I would look at. Means we will only be paying freight for one season rather than 2 or 3.

Yeah definitely mate I can’t disagree with releasing those players. I’m really hoping we can pick up Kurt Capewell. Koroisau would also be exactly what we need at hooker but I can’t see it happening with both Peats and Rein here till the end of 2020

I'd pay to move Shannon Boyd on. Peachey will be gone of his own accord and I'd add Hipgrave to that list.

Inactive User

No hard feelings I guess.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Two things. Firstly, I found our CEO, secondly, it's nothing I haven't said previously, but when the CEO says it sounds way worse. Putting a team together for 2023-24. Ouch

Gold Coast Titans chief executive Steve Mitchell discusses their impending NRL coach appointment
    Connor O’Brien, @obrien_GCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
    25 minutes ago
    Subscriber only
    TITANS chief executive Steve Mitchell stopped short of confirming Justin Holbrook’s appointment but declared the club will work with their new coach to build a playing roster with the 2023-24 seasons in mind.

Mitchell said an announcement would not come on Tuesday as had been predicted but possibly by the end of the week.

When asked directly whether Holbrook and the club have agreed to terms, Mitchell responded: “The process isn’t finished so we have still got to get to the pointy end of that before we can actually comment on it because of the confidentiality of the whole process and everyone involved.

“Holbrook brings a lot out of what he has done and where he has come from and what he has done with St Helens but so do all of the other parties.

“We have had some wonderful candidates come through.”

Holbrook, a 43-year-old former NRL player, has made a name for himself coaching St Helens to a supreme run of success since the start of 2017 and Mitchell admitted that winning culture was an attraction.

“Definitely but a number of the candidates bring that sort of culture with them as well that have come out of systems that have won premierships at NRL level,” he said.

“A winning culture is fundamental to what we want and we need that culture through the high performance system to complement everything else we are doing in the community and that’s a big part of the criteria.”

The Titans appear unwilling to part pay players to join rival clubs, meaning there is little wiggle room for their new coach to ring the changes for 2020.

Rather, that squad remoulding process will come with a long-term view – and the coach will be given time to see out that vision, unlike Garth Brennan was.

“I think you would have an expectation that the coach will have input into reshaping of a roster but that happens over a period of years,” Mitchell said.

“Strategically we probably have to look forward to ’23 and ’24 as to what the roster looks like then, who is coming through locally, where we sit with regard to the composition of the squad across the paddock.

“The coach would have some input into that but he would have a part of that, not drive the whole lot.

“…There’s a genuine understanding, desire and intent from the club to have a long-term coach, a coach who can set culture and build a squad over a three to five-year period.”

Mitchell added the club believes they have a desirable project for a coach to take on, with an abundance of rising talent and the prospect of being their maiden premiership mentor, and hailed leadership and culture as the two key qualities they were pursuing.

“We need someone who can grab our player cohort over a long period of time, get the very best out of them and take the Gold Coast onto the national platform,” he said.
    Under Brennan the narrative was we had a good roster and expect success within 2 seasons

The narrative being sold to us has now changed to that Brennan/Annesley have created an almighty salary cap and roster mess and that we all need to be patient and stick fat for a few years.

It takes the pressure off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Sarcasm me thinks.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Sarcasm me thinks.
    Yeah I agree. It’s pretty sour.
    I mean Chris did play for us and he lives here so he could try and be a bit more sporting and it’s not as though his Brothers ever played for us or coached Burleigh or Tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    @RavShamrock your batting average isn’t looking too healthy if this is true. Hopefully your Arrow prediction is wrong too.
    You seem to have selected memory syndrome or you just don’t read properly.
    Every bit of inside info I’ve passed on has been on the money thus far.
    If you're going too be so bold and call me out then back it up by posting the quotes of which have not eventuated.

Yep, I like it too. It also gives us leverage over underperforming players who know they will be punted to reserve grade rather than subsidised at another club with the overall same salary. Not having the expectation of immediate success is a (small) blessing in disguise in that regard.
    I reckon it is a great theory but it will not happen. Why keep a bloke that doesn't want to be here and if we could free up a fair chunk of a players salary by getting rid of them I'm happy.
    Do we really think any of us on here would be happy to say "well we are still running last but we showed 'em, those bludgers who are running around in QCup." Great in principle and if I was the owner and wanted to just burn money to stand on a point of principle then I would......but it doesn't win comps.
    I think the secret is doing better due diligence on blokes that we might want to sign. What I'd give for a bloke like Bull Bailey at the moment. Not only gave his all but I wouldn't want to be near him if he didn't think your heart was in it. More blokes like him who were really hurt by a loss, not the current crew who stay on the field laughing with the opposition after we have just been flogged.
    I'd like to leave this to the new coach, in that if he doesn't think he can get a player to perform at his best and wants to cut them, then let him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    If you're going too be so bold and call me out then back it up by posting the quotes of which have not eventuated.
    Mate I know we have butted heads recently, but what inside info have you passed on before that was on the money. I'm not trying to be smart, just can't recall.
    As for your Arrow call, I sincerely hope you are wrong, but some of the paper articles have me getting more concerned by the day. I will be the first to apologise if your call was right......but I'll give it to you if you're wrong.

All good MT. Lets see what Willheim brings to the table I'm sick to death of defending my position

Rep Player

Literally every rumour you’ve vaguely hinted at has been in the media for days to weeks before you posted it. You always couch it in language that you can point back to later for plausible deniability like this post about Kevin Walters:

Well Bodsie my mail is you will get your wish shortly.

Brennan is a dead man walking with a disgruntled playing group forging the final nail.
    Origin 3 can’t come quick enough for most except Brennan whom will be replaced soon there after by Kevie (undecided) or Mal will step up.
    You always get so defensive if anyone so much as questions you which indicates to me that you’re not telling or at least embellishing the truth. I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier but after the Walters hot tip turning out to be rubbish I’m ready to call your bluff. I reckon you’re just an attention seeker LARPing as a journo. Even if the Arrow rumour turns out to be true, it doesn’t mean your info is legit, just that you hedged your bets and one finally paid off. Broken clock etc. Maybe go back to spruiking Jackson Hastings as the solution to our centre woes. That at least provides some laughs.

Literally every rumour you’ve vaguely hinted at has been in the media for days to weeks before you posted it. You always couch it in language that you can point back to later for plausible deniability like this post about Kevin Walters:

You always get so defensive if anyone so much as questions you which indicates to me that you’re not telling or at least embellishing the truth. I gave you the benefit of the doubt earlier but after the Walters hot tip turning out to be rubbish I’m ready to call your bluff. I reckon you’re just an attention seeker LARPing as a journo. Even if the Arrow rumour turns out to be true, it doesn’t mean your info is legit, just that you hedged your bets and one finally paid off. Broken clock etc. Maybe go back to spruiking Jackson Hastings as the solution to our centre woes. That at least provides some laughs.
    Hahahhahahaa classic.

Inactive User

That will do you blokes. Let’s just kick back now and wait on Arrow and talk footy.