Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Thanks Bundy

Wasn't a bad player in his day to.

Rep Player

@RavShamrock your batting average isn’t looking too healthy if this is true. Hopefully your Arrow prediction is wrong too.

@badel_cmail
    Justin Holbrook has just received a phone call from the Titans informing him he has the coaching position in 2020. Titans management will formally announce his signing in the next 24 hours. Kevin Walters was never approached. More to come @cmail_sport

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    @badel_cmail
    Justin Holbrook has just received a phone call from the Titans informing him he has the coaching position in 2020. Titans management will formally announce his signing in the next 24 hours. Kevin Walters was never approached. More to come @cmail_sport
    Yeah, and 3 hours ago the Titans Executive Chairman said that they would not be making an announcement today, it's an important decision, they will let the fans know after due diligence/proper process/yada yada... And now the NRL and other sources are making the announcement ahead of them.
    This club is a f$%#ing joke when it comes to running itself like a professional outfit.

Tony Iro brother of Kevin and both pretty fair players. Played against them both at Lloyd Robson in my twilight years.
    Last edited by Titanic; 30-07-19 at 01:23 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think you’ll find that St. Helens May be the leakers right now C-Whiz. They are peeved and probably will release a statement of release before us.

HOW ****ING GOOD THOUGH BOYS! HOPE IS BACK ON THE MENU

Kevin and Tony were pretty good kiwi players.

One often makes the retro flashbacks when he ran backwards for 70m to run down the clock playing for the Adelaide Rams.

I recall Warriors players were FILTHY when Iro was overlooked for the head coach role there for Andrew McFadden so hopefully he is a quality coach to back up Justin.

Can somebody close this thread and open one for the new coaching team. The sooner we forget the “Walter” Brennan days the better.

Junior

Can somebody post mat rogers article from the bulletin

‘Absolutely dreaming’: Titans great weighs in on coach change
    Connor O’Brien, Gold Coast Bulletin
    July 29, 2019 10:10pm
    Subscriber only
    GOLD Coast have found their new NRL coach but Titans legend Mat Rogers believes club administrators “are absolutely dreaming” if they think that alone will fix things.

The Titans will shortly announce the coach to lead the club forward from 2020 after three disastrous seasons.

Reports have emerged that Justin Holbrook has held off Kevin Walters for the role.

Asked what is needed of their next mentor, Rogers said: “I think he certainly needs to be pretty firm in his direction and with his confidence in what he is doing.

“He needs the support of the board to let him do his job and he needs a leadership group of players that are going to lead the club.

“If you don’t have the answer to get yourself out of it or you don’t have the group of players that can pull together in that tough time, you’re paddling up stream really.

“A lot of things need to change at the Titans – one coach is not going to do it unfortunately.”

Rogers declared powerbrokers must instil faith in the new coach to build a roster to his liking.

“The administration need to give the coach the opportunity to get to a point where he has got the team he wants, not the team they have put in there that are overpaid,” he said.

“I’ll never bag a player for getting overpaid because I was a player and I would have loved to have been overpaid.

But he said that when the decision making on salary allocation wasn’t up to scratch “then you end up in a situation where you have got a sub-par team that is getting paid more money than what they are worth”.

As for rectifying the Gold Coast culture, Rogers said it was concerning that while players tend to improve upon joining Melbourne, the only player he has seen improve at the Titans is Jai Arrow.

“Something has got to change and if they think it is just the coach, then they are absolutely dreaming. It is so much more than that,” he said.

“We need the Gold Coast to succeed. I’m sick to death of hearing that it’s a geographical thing because it’s not.

“In the middle of a Global Financial Crisis, the Gold Coast Titans that I played with in those first four years were doing pretty bloody well.

“We had 20,000-plus people at games, we were winning games of football and were overachieving from a talent standpoint because the culture was right, they had great leadership in the playing group.

“They have got to get back to that.”

Beat me to it ... thanks for posting. Not much really in it that we didn't already know ... but it's a shot at Brennan and his policies amongst other stuff ... personally I'd let Rogers loose on the whole mob.
    Last edited by Titanic; 30-07-19 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Beat me to it ... thanks for posting. Not much really in it that we didn't already know ... but it's a shot at Brennan and his policies amongst other stuff ... personally I'd let Rogers loose on the whole mob.
    Whats scarier is the Stockwell article from last week regarding him making the starting squad for three weeks in a row and if he keeps playing good footy he should prove himself for a contract extension.....

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Whats scarier is the Stockwell article from last week regarding him making the starting squad for three weeks in a row and if he keeps playing good footy he should prove himself for a contract extension.....
    You have to start playing good footy before you can keep playing good footy...

For every ones amusement

Gold Coast Titans prop Jack Stockwell credits former coach Garth Brennan for lifting his game
    Connor O’Brien, @obrien_GCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
    July 25, 2019 10:00am
    Subscriber only
    HULKING prop Jack Stockwell is in line to start three consecutive NRL games for the first time since 2016 as he builds a case to extend his tenure on the Gold Coast.

Standing at 192cm and 110kg, Stockwell has flown under the radar amid the Titans’ on-field troubles to find regular first grade game time.

Often hampered by injuries throughout his career, the 27-year-old has played in 11 of the club’s last 12 matches and has forced his way into the starting side in recent weeks.

Stockwell feels those opportunities have come on the back of some improvements he has made to his game following a chat earlier in the season with ex-coach Garth Brennan.

“Me and him talked about when I was coming off the bench at the start of the year just doing a couple of little things to improve and tweak my game a bit, which I think has really helped,” he said.

“I was doing that consistently over the last couple of months and have just built on games each week and I think it has started to show.

“I have started the last couple of games; there has been a couple of injuries and that which has obviously been not good for the boys but good for me. I’m just happy to get the opportunity to start and hold my spot there for a few weeks.

“My game plan is run as hard as I can, find my front, play the ball fast. If I do that, it gets the ball rolling for the boys to attack and then obviously in defence just staying strong, getting my time on the ground, wrestling properly, doing all of the little things.”

Off-contract at season’s end, Stockwell hopes to push for a new contract in the coming weeks.

“That would be ideal,” he said.

“I don’t know what’s happening next year but if I just keep playing good footy and keep starting, hopefully it will sort itself out.”

The veteran of 90 NRL games will have a fair task on his hands in this Saturday’s NRL derby against the Broncos at Cbus Super Stadium, with Matt Lodge and Payne Haas to start in the front-row for Brisbane.

Gold Coast can get off the bottom of the ladder if they beat Brisbane for the second time this year and Canterbury lose to the Roosters on Sunday.