Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast

Justine Holbrook (obi one kenobi) is our only hope and in fact I think it would be a watershed moment for this club.
    He is the only candidate whom has turned a rable of a team into winners in a very short timeframe.
    I believe both Kevvie and Griffin would be a nightmare for this club or any NRL club for that matter.

Immortal

Agreed mate, I like your thinking

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Justine Holbrook (obi one kenobi) is our only hope and in fact I think it would be a watershed moment for this club.
    He is the only candidate whom has turned a rable of a team into winners in a very short timeframe.
    I believe both Kevvie and Griffin would be a nightmare for this club or any NRL club for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    So you think Justine would do a better job than Justin?

Inactive User

I’ll welcome whoever it is. We need to fully back the new Coach as he needs full autonomy and not have us as the leading voices in the fan base undermining him from the get go.

Immortal

Great words from the great man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’ll welcome whoever it is. We need to fully back the new Coach as he needs full autonomy and not have us as the leading voices in the fan base undermining him from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I agree with you Bods but I think just about everyone on here would back whoever gets the job once the decision is made.

Let's face it, a new coach will not have to do much to impress. Just two or three wins in the first 6 weeks together with a bit of team energy would be an improvement.

First Grader

Interesting article on Holbrook from Lachlan Coote in the Telegraph saying he is best coach he has ever had including Green and Cleary

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Interesting article on Holbrook from Lachlan Coote in the Telegraph saying he is best coach he has ever had including Green and Cleary
    Add to that the fans at their last game were chanting his name and begging him to stay..

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Now that’s a wrap.

Why Justin Holbrook is the man to turn the Titans into a premiership force
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    July 27, 2019 1:58pm
    Subscriber only

Former Cowboys premiership-winning fullback Lachlan Coote has hailed Justin Holbrook the best coach he has worked with and says the St Helens mentor is the man to turn the Titans into a title force.

Speaking to The Sunday Mail from St Helens, Coote gave a fascinating insight into Holbrook’s skill set and why Titans powerbrokers cannot ignore the hottest coaching prospect in the English Super League.

Coote had a distinguished career in Australia, playing 166 NRL games for Penrith and the Cowboys, helping North Queensland break their 20-year title drought with their epic grand final defeat of the Broncos in 2015.

During his 10-year first-grade career, Coote was mentored by some of the NRL’s most experienced coaches, starting under Matthew Elliott and Ivan Cleary at Penrith before working with Paul Green at the Cowboys.

After a frustrating 2018 season at the Cowboys, Coote joined St Helens this year and is in career-best form, helping Saints to the premiership lead as Ben Barba’s replacement with 14 tries from 20 games.

Coote has great respect for Elliott, Cleary and Green, the latter of whom helped him win a premiership ring, but the 29-year-old says Holbrook is in a league of his own.

“Justin is the greatest coach I’ve had,” Coote said from the UK.

“I’ve been lucky in my career to work with some outstanding coaches but Justin is on another level.

“To be honest, I will be filthy if he leaves St Helens to go to the Titans because I’ve only been here one year and I don’t want to lose him as a coach.

“I’ve spoken to some of the St Helens boys who have been here for 10 years. They’ve had a number of coaches and they say Justin is the best they’ve had, so that’s an indication of how popular he is.”

The Titans’ previous two coaches, Neil Henry and Garth Brennan, were sacked partly because of some unrest from the Gold Coast playing group.

Coote says Titans culture chief Mal Meninga would not have to worry about the prospect of a dressing-room mutiny if Holbrook was appointed.

St Helens are a staggering 10 points clear at the top of the table, with Holbrook on course for his second consecutive minor premiership, having won 46 of his past 53 games.

“The big thing for me is Justin’s honesty and integrity with the players,” Coote said.

“It’s a small world in rugby league and coaches get a reputation pretty quickly if they aren’t honest with players.

“Justin is a great communicator and he respect you as an individual, he cares about your welfare and doesn’t try to make you something you’re not.

“There’s certainly less pressure here on coaches because the Premier League is massive and gets all the media attention, but Justin has the temperament to handle the NRL.

“He would be great for the Titans. I have no doubt he will succeed one day as an NRL coach.”

St Helens have offered the off-contract Holbrook a two-year extension and Saints CEO Mike Rush told BBC Radio the club wants an answer soon.

“We don’t need to sell him a dream, he’s living it with us, and that makes it challenging for him,” Rush said.

“What he does next is his decision. He’s got an 80 per cent win rate in Super League so he’s going to attract attention so when a job comes up, he’s naturally going to be linked to it.

“He loves it here but if, suddenly, a big NRL club comes then I’d be surprised if he didn’t listen but there has to be a time frame for when all this comes to an end.”

- - - Updated - - -

I'll support any coach except Walters.

I’m interested in Hail Sezers opinion on who should be coach however I’m now in the Holbrook way camp. Walters has turned me off with the way he has been speaking in public re the coach gig.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Word is the QRL are looking to extend kevvie as we speak.

All aboard the Holbrook Hype Train ��

Apologies for being a bit late here Bodsy,

The reasons I don’t want Kevvie are two-fold.

The first is I don’t believe there is any evidence to suggest he is a good coach at all. The obvious points are his winning records with both Queensland and Catalans. 50% win rate at origin level? Sure, I always try to avoid putting too much stock into Origin coaching results particularly when the Maroons have had some of the most sound infrastructure regarding staff, resources and talent Rugby League has seen especially in recent seasons. But coaching origin is a completely different ball game to running an NRL club’s on-field operations, and he was just flat out bad in the Super League. It baffles me how on earth any NRL club could hire someone who had a 37% win rate in the Super League to a head coach role. Catalans were better pre and post Kevvie Walters as the head coach.

So what would he offer that Garth Brennan couldn’t? I suppose the experience in managing egos? But there hasn’t been much to suggest he can do that. Respect of his players? Maybe?. Is it being able to attract marquee Queensland players? You could make the case that Kevvie and Mal would be a serious tandem at the negotiating table in order to attract a high calibre player, but firstly I don’t have the confidence that either could maintain an unbiased standpoint and would open up a chequebook for any player that has played for Queensland at any level, and I don’t believe the ‘sign marquee players’ angle has worked for the Titans AT ALL, in fact the case that we shouldn’t be taking such a path is stronger. I always thought a valuable strategy would be taking in quality veteran players that have been overpaid but bought out slightly by their club and would have value here on a smaller contract and help lead GC talent coming through into the 17 (but it seems all those guys are playing for Brisbane or Melbourne but I trust mdrew’s word the future in looking bright regarding Titans youth prospects). One of the issues the club has and hasn’t seemed to realise based on the history of the club is that the better buys have been players on the cheap that are fighting to maintain their spot in the 17, the Dave Taylor’s, Tyrone Peachey’s et al were rep players that had great value as their contracts were cheaper now overpaid (because the club just loves bidding against themselves), the value of these players takes a hit as they don’t live up to expectations for whatever reason (could be alluded to weak coaching, staff, resources etc). Whereas the Titans have found excellent value in Agnatius Paasi’s, Leivaha Pulu’s, Ash Taylor’s (before the supermax or whatever that contract is), Nathan Davises in recent seasons (christ, even in the glory days I LOVED Sam Tagataese for whatever reason) because they were all value guys that desperately needed an opportunity and not overpaid mid to good tier level players. I don’t believe the smart thing to do is overpaying mid-career players that MIGHT be good, to me, this club doesn’t have the infrastructure in order to continue their development as representative players, coupled that by perhaps players see the Gold Coast as a bit of a relaxed lifestyle and don’t take their footy as seriously? I couldn’t comment as I’m not a Gold Coaster nor am I an NRL player that has been in a previous NRL system. To me Titans history suggests its better to buy low almost always. Apologies for being so tangential however back to the point, I would get the sense Mal and Kevvie would be almost always tempted to blow cap space on those mid to good tier level players in order to quickly draw crowds in (which by the way has never worked except for Jarryd Hayne). The Titans would almost always be overpaying anyway as let’s be fair, why would players want to play for this team? It’s only showed incompetence season after season. Sure the weather is nice and its the beautiful city (Hello Bodsy) but could you imagine if the club has been seen as at least decent? Players would be lining up to sign on the dotted line for cheaper, play for a respected club, rail those white lines in Surfer’s every coupla’ weeks and live by the beach. Tangential again, but in my opinion Kevvie isn’t going to alleviate any of those issues for me, only exasperate them.

The second reason is a philosophy-based one which probably doesn’t make much sense as its more of an NBA type of thinking when searching for a GM or coach, but hiring Kevvie would be a sign to me that this club has no real AMBITION, it’s happy to just sign someone close to their Front Office and have them under their thumb, he’s Mal’s friend and I would wager that Mal has been wanting to hire Kevvie since day dot. It would be similar to surrounding yourself with a bunch of ‘yes’ men in a business. Perhaps that’s exactly what the club wants, which is what it is, but it screams to me that they’re fine with being mediocre or playing it safe. Which could suggest to me they’ve been very scared off by the Garth Brennan era and their nervousness at hiring another ‘rookie’ coach (which Holbrook isn’t really, he’s constructed a pretty serious St.Helens playing side which boasts a 79% (!!!) winning rate), which is understandable but with the rumours of how the hiring of Garth Brennan took place, they should’ve expected it.

I would like to trust the Titans to do the correct thing here which would be to surround themselves with a legitimate search party constructed of some actual legitimate advisors but basing off of the Brennan hiring previously, I don’t get the sense that’s going to happen which is not only disappointing but will eventually be devastating for the Gold Coast Titans as there is a very significant chance that this may be the final Titans coach ever, even though I know we all probably don’t want to admit it but this club probably can’t survive another couple years of whatever ‘this’ is post the 2017 season.

TL;DR - Signing Kevvie just shows the club has no ambition by not researching his previous coaching resumé and being content with mediocrity. Kevvie and Mal have positives but I also get the sense the disappointing trend of overpaid mid to good level players will only continue. There’s a legitimate possibility this is the final coach the Titans ever have so they HAVE to get this right.

Ok ok ok let’s put it out there. For those of us old enough to lean on history let’s not forget that the great coaches all had great starts but not because of their playing or rep coaching bios. Even Bennett was a coach not an extraordinary player. Gibson, Ryan et al were better coaches than players. Meninga has had the soft ride since retiring as a player. Walters has shown little. I backed Brennan and am happy to say “my bad” but I’d make the same decision again and so Holbrook is my choice. I don’t disrespect ESL but it’s not the NRL nor the Titans but bring him on.Hey Bodsy, love your call for supporting the new appointee ... grand irony from the leader of all “sack the movements” ... just saying brother :-)
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Ok ok ok let’s put it out there. For those of us old enough to lean on history let’s not forget that the great coaches all had great starts but not because of their playing or rep coaching bios. Even Bennett was a coach not an extraordinary player. Gibson, Ryan et al were better coaches than players. Meninga has had the soft ride since retiring as a player. Walters has shown little. I backed Brennan and am happy to say “my bad” but I’d make the same decision again and so Holbrook is my choice. I don’t disrespect ESL but it’s not the NRL nor the Titans but bring him on.Hey Bodsy, love your call for supporting the new appointee ... grand irony from the leader of all “sack the movements” ... just saying brother :-)
    They always get my full support for a minimum of 12 months
    Brennan was a shocker
    I got Henry wrong. No doubt.

But yeah the new Coach will get all of 2020 without me riding him