Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 ... LastLast
    Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Whilst I'm unsure about Kevvie, I'm willing to give it a chance and trust our board one last time. The more I think of it, are any coaches really a standout?:

Toovey - good disciplinarian but took over an already established + finals definite Manly team

Hook - sacked from two clubs and a lot of his wins came from the team being behind and the players throwing the gameplan out the window in the final 15 mins

Sheens - getting a bit long in the tooth

O'Brien, Fitzgibbon etc - a big no to young rookie coaches. Rebuilding a club should not be their first head coach role as look how that went for Brennan

Holbrook - had success in the super league but that doesn't mean much really. Probably would have been a good choice but must be a reason if the club doesn't choose him

Not saying Kevvie is the perfect choice or best option but I guess there's nothing we can do about it and I'm willing to give it a chance. We could definitely do a lot worse. We will soon see how it all turns out.
    Not sure I agree with your comment on Holbrook. Could've said the same thing about Trent Robinson only having Super League success prior to the Roosters hiring him. While the competition is easier with less focus on defense, it doesn't make managing men any easier. Anyway, Walters' only head coach experience is in Super League where he did worse than Holbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Not sure I agree with your comment on Holbrook. Could've said the same thing about Trent Robinson only having Super League success prior to the Roosters hiring him. While the competition is easier with less focus on defense, it doesn't make managing men any easier. Anyway, Walters' only head coach experience is in Super League where he did worse than Holbrook.
    I see your point and I agree his record is absolutely superb. But my main point is it's not like he is a Bellamy who is just a must get and is no risk at all. He's still risky as he's never coached in the NRL before. The same goes for Walters but he's coached Origin which I can imagine wouldn't be an easy job. Definitely agree Holbrook is probably my preferred choice too but just confused how some people are absolutely in love with the idea of a coach who has no NRL experience.

Inactive User

The choice of assistant coaches if it is Kevin Walters will be vital

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Which way are you leaning Bods? Still set on Kevvie?

Someone like David Furner would be a good assistant under Walters

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    Which way are you leaning Bods? Still set on Kevvie?
    Yes I am. And I’m a Blue originally from the Tweed. I don’t think Northern NSW people who are GC fans will give two hoots that that he’s a Maroon.
    Kevin is a great guy that will appeal to women and family people.
    I thought he did so well to ensure Origin was competitive this season.
    I think Mal/Kevin working together know exactly how to breed that successful culture they are all too well aware of through their playing and QLD coaching experience.
    I think He can draw players in to sign with us.
    He’s the best coach to mentor our halves.
    I think he will appeal to sponsors.
    He will probably be able to attract good assistance right throughout the footy dept.

And my wife who’s track record of telling me who is good and who’s a bust when it comes to GC sports is eerily accurate Is voting for him very strongly.

Of course I’ll welcome whoever it is.

Not Kevvie Walters

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by NZTITAN View Post
    Not Kevvie Walters
    How come it says u r a junior?
    You’ve been posting for years.

I’m surprised how strong some people are in the no to Walters camp.

Rep Player

I'm not strongly against him as I think he will be good for Ash. I just dislike the way he has played it out in the media, essentially showing us no respect while secretly wanting the job (apparently). Loyalty is also an issue as I think he will head up the road as soon as he has the chance and wouldn't hesitate to thumb his nose at the club on the way out. Holbrook seems a much better prospect too.

How come it says u r a junior?
    You’ve been posting for years.

I’m surprised how strong some people are in the no to Walters camp.
    I'm not that keen on Kevvie but I don't think he will be a disaster, however that post about his Catalan days sends a loud alarm bell in my opinion. I know nothing about Holbrook and agree with whoever said him not having NRL experience is a concern. I've said before that I probably lean to Griffin because he appears not to tolerate sooks and doesn't need to hug players, which is what we need.
    Probably, my overall view is that in the absence of Bellamy, Bennett, or Hasler we are getting second tier and I just hope like hell that whoever gets the job is successful.

First Grader

Talkingsport had gerad condon on and he said kevie walters is expected to be announced as early as tomorrow. Hes been locked in for weeks apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    I'm not strongly against him as I think he will be good for Ash. I just dislike the way he has played it out in the media, essentially showing us no respect while secretly wanting the job (apparently). Loyalty is also an issue as I think he will head up the road as soon as he has the chance and wouldn't hesitate to thumb his nose at the club on the way out. Holbrook seems a much better prospect too.
    I'm pretty sure that if you have a current job with another employer, you can't just come out in the media and say "yeah I'm looking at the Titans job and want it". That would possibly be a breach of contract and the best way to piss off your current employer (especially if he doesn't get the job). Plus I don't buy the apparent "Broncos love", yes he's had a history and past with them but they've turned on him enough times that I think he would love to stick it to them. Plus they aren't getting rid of Seibold for a long long time.

I don't like the Walters decision if it's true. For me he hasn't really proven himself as a first grade coach. Also, I don't think he has the confidence to take on the coaching role. He just doesn't seem like he actually knows what he's doing at times. Just my opinion, but if he gets the gig I'm not going to call for his head immediately.

First Grader

How has kevie got NRL experience? Being an assistant coach is not the same as being HC. Its easy to be mates with the players but HC have to be the authoritarian. Im extremely worried if we take a chance on kevy and I wont have any sympathy for this club if it all explodes in their face. Holbrook is still man managing. Hes been incharged of every aspect of st helens and hes turned the club around. How people could even consider a person with no HC experience is beyond me.

Once again theyd be going with the sponsorship big name dollars instead of doing the smart option, typical of this club.

How much coaching do you really need to do in an origin team? They a re all at the top of their game. I'm really suspect on his appointment if it happens.