Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Comment on them? i'm about to go buy a red and yellow singlet.
    Titan Pete scares me DB
    So I limit my Suns references so I don’t poke the bear into severe consequences

The Suns example is fair enough and I’m sure they would be worrying our administration but I would be with Pete on this ... start a thread about the shirt lifters if you’d like but I don’t want to see conversations about them here ... it’s like peeing in the punch.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post

I think Brennan has to be persevered with for now but he really needs to prove he has the nuts to make tough calls. I don't know what he can do to get the forwards playing with a bit of power but the first move I'd make is sack James as captain. That might send a message. My concern with Brennan is that he just doesn't seem to want to make tough calls. Not selecting one hooker is a start, buying Boyd, staying with James as captain who has done nothing for over a season now. I have watched every game so far this round and without exception every side has shown more intensity and drive than us. When we take the field we don't seem ready to roll up the sleeves and get physical. That must be down to the coach. Why he was given a one year extension before this season started is beyond me - it's not if he was going to be poached by another club.
    The most frustrating thing about Brennan is he loves talking about how he isn't scared about making the tough calls but never backs up what he is saying with his actions - with the exception of Cartwright last year, although he was pretty much forced into that when Cartwright refused to tackle. That and his favouritism of players are the two things that bug me the most.

He also doesn't demand the respect of his players either. Watch any of the games live this year and you'll see the shortcuts that they are taking on the field. There is no way that Bellamy, Bennett or even Madge would let their players get away with the things ours do. Instead of ripping into them like he should he covers for them. Take Wallace for example; He took shortcuts last pre season so Brennan comes out and says that he acknowledges that he took advantage of him so needs to do better. But instead of dropping him, he lauds him for the effort he put in this pre season. Now if you watch any of the games this season, can anyone actually tell me that he is in any better shape this year? He's still overweight. He's still haunched over on his hands and knees more than anyone else. And he is still giving away penalties because he is tired and fatigued (or incredibly stupid but he wasn't like that at the Bronco's).

The biggest problem I have with this club is we are intent on settling for mediocrity - but most of the time we don't even achieve that. We are happy to accept players from other clubs that no body else wants. We are happy to present our likeable grafting winger as one of the best players to ever play for the club. We are happy to write off each year as a developing year. And we are happy to be proud of having one of the best rugby league nurseries in the country so every other club can poach those players.

Players go backwards when they get to the Gold Coast. It is a known fact now. The club needs to know that this isn't acceptable and we as a community need to demand better from the team and coaching staff. One of the first things Mal said when he got here was that we need to make the 8 this year. Anything short of that would be a fail. He knows how important these results are and he knows that we have a limited amount of time to get things right. In response to that I think we have seen the worst rugby for the Titans that I think we have ever seen. Aimless, directionless, unimaginable, soft and damn right mediocre from a professional outfit. All this from what is meant to be one of our best rosters ever.

I don't know what to do about the coach. There doesn't seem to be a lot of alternatives out there. But what I can float out is this.. Nobody wanted to take a chance on the Walker Bros because their methods were different and untraditional. Nobody wanted rookie coaches who promised to bring an attacking style of rugby with them because that meant defence might suffer. Nobody wanted to go in a different direction because of the unknown.

What we have been left with is a coach who has the most boring game plan imaginable. A defensive record that rivals probably the worst the game has ever seen, and a safe, mr. nice guy guy coach that keeps bleating on about 'positive signs' and 'when we get a bit of luck things will be different'. If things are going to get better, then we need change now. If this coach is too weak to do it then get somebody who can.

Amen Brother

Inactive User

NZFan is the man

Did anyone else get the Titans email with the subject "Do you believe in Magic" and think, jeez doesn't look like Mal is holding out any hope either. Then the follow up email regarding Grand Final tickets? Bit optimistic.

Amen NZFan. Does anybody remember that Brennan's one promise was that the Titans were going to play "an exciting brand of footy" and be an attacking powerhouse team? Well we are still waiting...we look like the most boring team with the football I've seen in years. All of the commentators comment on how lateral and sideways our attack is and how we play way too far before the line. Instead of taking it right up to the line and hitting the line at speed, often in our backline shifts Gordon will get the ball 10m back and will pass straight to the centre who catches it stopped, giving him no chance. Everyone can see this except Brennan it seems.

And don't even start with our marshmallow forwards. The only one who runs with intent is Arrow (surprise surprise, still think he should be skipper). James and Wallace get through the metres but both run about as hard as Nate Myles, Proctor has been better imo but still is not hitting gaps like he's known for and Cartwright is basically a third half as he tries to link into the backline instead of tucking it under the arm and charging like a forward should.

Brennan needs to man up and make some big calls this week. AJ must start at fullback and Gordon either drops out or goes to the wing, Wallace to the bench and King/Boyd starting. But even those changes might not make enough difference as it seems the coaching is just not there.

Brennan needs to throw the playbook out the window and just get rein to bring the forwards Over the advantage line, tell ash and Tyrone to play off the cuff and give peach Kelly and AJ early ball, none of this stupid slow block plays that the opposition just watches and slides and shuts us down every time

Block plays schmock plays ... GCTTSD has stolen my ‘playbook’. Dig out the old contract Rugby League invented in Toowoomba and made famous by the ‘Berries in the late 50’s. Every coach worth his salt has studied this. In summary, tackle for your brother, stand deep and run onto the bloody thing, only pass to someone in a better position than you and run in support of every play both sides of the ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Did anyone else get the Titans email with the subject "Do you believe in Magic" and think, jeez doesn't look like Mal is holding out any hope either. Then the follow up email regarding Grand Final tickets? Bit optimistic.
    Yeah I got those emails and wondered where Mal's Monday one was. He's probably out of believable excuses. He must be close to the email that says "the bloke calling himself a coach has no idea and I'm taking over".

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    The Suns example is fair enough and I’m sure they would be worrying our administration but I would be with Pete on this ... start a thread about the shirt lifters if you’d like but I don’t want to see conversations about them here ... it’s like peeing in the punch.
    Turn it up Titanic....the point had already been made in a not too subtle manner to keep the references minimal.

- - - Updated - - -

I’d hate to be Mal today and try and write a hope building email to members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Turn it up Titanic....the point had already been made in a not too subtle manner to keep the references minimal.
    Turn it up yourself Bodsie I'm just stating my position too.

From the outside looking in there has to be something going on ? To not get a win in the first 4 rounds is pretty disheartening for everyone involved with the club. Positional and coaching changes aside I wonder with the return of Roberts if the roumoured factions of 2017 have came about again as Roberts and Stockwell have links to Brennan ??? I don’t know but I wonder ??

I have never been for or against Brennan’s appointment as his past results in the NSW Cup speak for themselves. However in those situations he had a core group of good players and then the ones that didn’t get picked for first grade so in this instance it’s an easier place the stronger players in the team.

IMO it’s a struggle to find a suitable coach to replace Brennan as the quality of coaches out there at the moment is very thin. I think as Gill said or someone Adam O’Brien is the only Assistant Coach that would do a good job. But the way I see it we are stuck with Brennan until at least the end of the year at least. I’ll just get behind the boys and cheer loudly, drink a few and wait for the season to turn around.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Why is Taylor taking goal kicks?

4. Gold Coast Titans
    Michael Gordon: 654/807, 81%

Tyrone Roberts: 230/311, 74%

Ash Taylor: 83/116, 71.5%

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/12/...-at-your-club/

Gordon was off