Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast
    First Grader

For all the people unsure about toovey, i found this interesting...

58% success rate in the NRL - thats pretty good

2012 - finished 4th and made prelims

2013 - finished 4th and made grand final

2014 - finished 2nd and semi's

2015 - 9th (2 points out of the top 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post

What was Hasler's record before Toovey replaced him. Helps that he had already built something strong before he got there.

Edit: so just checked, Hasler left right after they won the grand final in 2011. That helps. Hasler also proceeds to take the Bulldogs to the Grand Final the very next season.
    Last edited by TitansState; 15-07-19 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post

Took over a premiership winning team. In 2014 although we finished second Manly went out in straight sets, Souths put 40 points on in the first semi and manly were beaten by the Dogs in the 2nd week and they had finished 7th. My point is after taking over the results got worse as players moved. To be fair Hasler left the cap in a mess and there were issues with a couple senior players who wanted highly paid farewell seasons, however i didn't think he had it tactics wise once things got tougher.
    To a point I'd love him to bring some of the Manly culture here but I feel that there is better out there.
    Feels like we had this type of conversation only a couple of years ago!!

Whoever takes over as coach has at least 2 yrs of emptying deadwood and salary cap management so it's no wonder Walters has said no.

The next coach is in a bloody terrible situation
    Kumuls Up !!! RLWC 2017

[IMG][/IMG]

Inactive User

Or get the list to be determined, cohesive and playing to their potential

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Well Bodsie my mail is you will get your wish shortly.

Brennan is a dead man walking with a disgruntled playing group forging the final nail.
    Origin 3 can’t come quick enough for most except Brennan whom will be replaced soon there after by Kevie (undecided) or Mal will step up.
    Now it’s offical I'll elaborate a little.
    Seems Brennan was a SCREAMER (who would have thought) and in front of other players to boot which had a lot of the playing group off side.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by RavShamrock View Post
    Now it’s offical I'll elaborate a little.
    Seems Brennan was a SCREAMER (who would have thought) and in front of other players to boot which had a lot of the playing group off side.
    And is Walters still a done deal?

Junior

Wow so many things I’d like to reply to.
    To simplify though.
    Kev says he isn’t interested. Boom gone.
    Margeux Parker and Luke Bradnam say the team should fold.... not exactly unbiased opinions. Bradnam used to constantly profess he was a Broncos fan on Hot Tomato.
    Anything “League Insider” Dobbo says is rubbish! He started off flogging beef on the footy show! Which itself was a piss poor reflection on rugby league by then!
    I think the Walkers and Jimmy L have a place I need the NRL, but not as head coaches... yet... as was mentioned maybe as assistants. They have there strengths!
    Toovey...not sold on, but not completely against. But I think he’d be walking in to a similar situation rosterwise (overpaid back ended contracts, although his weren’t all donuts) but with out the previous success ( premiership)
    I feel there is a place for Griffin. Whether as an assistant with a junior development/welfare role or head coach with the right assistants..
    Same with Henry. Both have qualities we need. Discipline , hard work!
    What we really need though, is a way to build KPI’s or metrics in to players contracts, and the ability to terminate them.
    unfortunately we are stuck with a bunch of donuts on high paying contracts that we can’t get rid off. I can’t see any decent coaching option saying , yeah I can turn that around!
    While there is a lot of calls for Bellamy, our club is the opposite of his mantra/ethos. He has thrived on a couple of high paid superstars, and surrounded them by low paid bit players. Cheap guys that can perform a role.
    We have a roster of over paid bit players and no stars!
    The sad thing is Jamie McCormack, Ezra Howe and team have done so well building an excellent program in the junior space in the last couple of years that we became appealing as an option for juniors, but I think we are going to lose a lot of them because they’d rather be/go somewhere successful!
    Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    And is Walters still a done deal?
    Never said it was Bodsie.
    They wanted him don't worry about that.
    I hope he doesn't. Anyone whom made cheery wanker captain of Qld lost me.

First Grader

Brennan a screamer...? The players dont like getting yelled at? Toovey would ruin them then

Junior

It angers me to hear NRL supporters yet again screaming for the removal of the Titans. The "perennial wooden spooners." Really? How many spoons? It saddens me to hear this hysteria given breath on a forum such as this. Call me naive, but I don't think we need to worry too much about folding in the immediate future. We are not insolvent and the NRL will not remove us for performance based issues.Whilst we may not be the jewel in the NRL crown that we would like to be, in our 12 short years we have not done badly enough to warrant eviction. Especially at a time when expansion talks are on the table. We have played finals in multiple seasons (including a prelim), and whilst we may have collected one wooden spoon along the way, we need to consider that Parramatta collected 3 and Newcastle 3 (in a row mind you) in the same period. No-one is discussing the removal of these clubs. Rest assured that the NRL will not abandon Australia's 6th biggest city and 2nd biggest nursery to the AFL unless they have absolutely no other choice. A change in coach at the Titans may be dire straights to us, but not to the NRL. Not yet anyway. Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin the Titan View Post
    It angers me to hear NRL supporters yet again screaming for the removal of the Titans. The "perennial wooden spooners." Really? How many spoons? It saddens me to hear this hysteria given breath on a forum such as this. Call me naive, but I don't think we need to worry too much about folding in the immediate future. We are not insolvent and the NRL will not remove us for performance based issues.Whilst we may not be the jewel in the NRL crown that we would like to be, in our 12 short years we have not done badly enough to warrant eviction. Especially at a time when expansion talks are on the table. We have played finals in multiple seasons (including a prelim), and whilst we may have collected one wooden spoon along the way, we need to consider that Parramatta collected 3 and Newcastle 3 (in a row mind you) in the same period. No-one is discussing the removal of these clubs. Rest assured that the NRL will not abandon Australia's 6th biggest city and 2nd biggest nursery to the AFL unless they have absolutely no other choice. A change in coach at the Titans may be dire straights to us, but not to the NRL. Not yet anyway. Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture.
    Awesome post! Puts a lot in perspective! Thanks you!

The Courier Mail at it again

Taking on the worst job in rugby league would be a titanic mistake for Kevin Walters

Gold Coast are a one-way road leading nowhere and Kevin Walters should give the Titans the biggest sidestep since Reg Gasnier hung up the boots, writes MIKE COLMAN
    Courier-Mail

Don’t do it Kevvie. No matter what they offer you. A million bucks a year, two penthouses overlooking Main Beach and a lifetime family pass to Sea World … nothing is worth it to coach the Titans.

It wouldn’t be the start of your NRL coaching career, it would be the finish — just like it has been for everyone who has gone before.

The place isn’t a footie club. For players it is a poker machine that always pays, no matter what you put into it, and for coaches it is a one-way dirt road that leads nowhere.

In its short history the Titans have had three head coaches. John Cartwright who took them to the finals twice but departed when the club’s core group of good players either retired or left and weren’t replaced, and Neil Henry who was handed a dirt sandwich called Jarryd Hayne and was shown the door when he refused to chew on it.

Then of course there was the recently departed Garth Brennan who was on a hiding to nothing from the day he unpacked his bags.

What has happened to them since? Cartwright has never managed to get another head coaching job and is currently assistant to Des Hasler at the Sea Eagles; Henry has vanished without trace, and while it is early days for Brennan don’t expect any clubs to come calling any time soon.

And that’s just those who have had the dubious honour of coaching the Gold Coast in its most recent guise. Those who were in charge of previous incantations the Seagulls, Gladiators and Chargers fared equally poorly with not one — including King Wally Lewis and 1996 ARL Coach of the Year Phil Economidis — establishing a coaching career at any other club.

Which is why Kevin Walters is 100 per cent right in saying he is not interested in interviewing for the job regardless of any interest the club might have in signing him.

Kevvie has never made any secret of the fact that he would like to coach at NRL level but the Titans aren’t the entry point for someone like him.

After all, it’s not as if he doesn’t have a reasonable gig at the moment. As Queensland Origin coach he gets an open cheque book to put together one of the two best teams in the country.

He deals with talented players who are totally committed to the cause, has the support of the entire State and gets to hang out with his old mates.

Best of all, it only lasts three games a year, not the endless drain and pressure of a 25 game season (plus finals which, in the Titans case is immaterial).

On top of that he earns good money flying around the country watching and talking about footy for Fox League.

And he’s being asked to toss that all in for the most poisoned chalice in rugby league?

This is a club that has a director of culture and performance, but no culture or performance. One that asks its overpaid, under-committed players what they think of the coach — and believes them when they blame him for their own shortcomings.

He should give it the biggest sidestep since Reg Gasnier hung up the boots — and the Walker brothers should do the same.

The only person who should even consider taking on the Titans is someone who has been there and done that before — an experienced coach with the scar tissue to show for it.

Someone like Anthony Griffin or Geoff Toovey. Or maybe Neil Henry or Phil Economidis.

Anyone but Kevvie.

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Kevvie needs to accept that he'll never lead a QLD squad to a Origin series win. So enjoy the position while you hold it. Hopefully the Donkey's carry out a full review in their camp over the off season, and put the broom through the place as well. Then Walters can be in the plum job better suited to him. But yeah, this tripe about making amends with the QLD Origin squad next year be best put to bed as soon as possible, as I highly doubt a series win will happen under his watch any time soon.

Give the gig to Bennett or Bellamy for a year or two, and piss Kevvie off.

As for coming here, I'm glad he's come out nice and early and announced his opinion. FFS, don't backflip later. Listening to his commentary while calling our games clearly shows he likes taking a piss at our expense.

Blows me away we'd even consider him on that aspect alone.

Yep I’m with you Toads. Great post
    I’ll go on the record that Kevvie has no chance of winning a SOO series whilst he chooses the cheery wanker as captain.
    NOT A QLD CATPAIN”S BOOT LACE

(Showing you poor decision making attributes there old mate)

Wow...Toovs just said on NRL 360 he'd throw his hat in the ring for us.