Page 20 of 58 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 ... LastLast
    First Grader

From a poster on LU

Get ready for the latest saga in the NRL's coaching merry go round.

Rumour doing the rounds that Kevin Walters will replace Garth Brennan at the Titans after origin 3. I can tell you this will not happen. I do know that the coach is skating on thin ice and disgruntled players, board members are fermenting another ****show at the Goldy which could result in having the first coach sacked this year.
    Here is the gist of things;
    If Garth Brennan finishes at the bottom four this year again then he will be fired after the 2019 season is over.

Kevin Walters will not coach the Titans at all. He not only rejected them previously when Henry was sacked but also again earlier this month when Titans hierarchy discussed the possibility of replacing Brennan should they fire him. Walters not only will be coaching the Maroons next year but he is watching Seibold's position just in case he doesn't see out his Broncos contract. So no chance.

But this is the best part; The Titans have already shortlisted three coaches to replace Brennan at the end of this season. They've already held preliminary discussions with these coaches just recently. GET READY. The three coaches are Anthony Griffen, Jason Taylor and Trent Barrett.

QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    From a poster on LU

Rumour doing the rounds that Kevin Walters will replace Garth Brennan at the Titans after origin 3. I can tell you this will not happen. I do know that the coach is skating on thin ice and disgruntled players, board members are fermenting another ****show at the Goldy which could result in having the first coach sacked this year.
    If Garth Brennan finishes at the bottom four this year again then he will be fired after the 2019 season is over.

Kevin Walters will not coach the Titans at all. He not only rejected them previously when Henry was sacked but also again earlier this month when Titans hierarchy discussed the possibility of replacing Brennan should they fire him. Walters not only will be coaching the Maroons next year but he is watching Seibold's position just in case he doesn't see out his Broncos contract. So no chance.

But this is the best part; The Titans have already shortlisted three coaches to replace Brennan at the end of this season. They've already held preliminary discussions with these coaches just recently. GET READY. The three coaches are Anthony Griffen, Jason Taylor and Trent Barrett.
    Things arent looking good for our future.

Oh boy. I guess this schmozzle falls squarely on the administration of our club who ignored Bennett knocking on our door willing and able for a reduced rate.

At least if the Bears don't get a team they may get a coach back in the NRL and I hope the rumours about Walters are correct. He's a Bronco and would sabotage our roster for the sake of keeping the Broncos chiefs happy for a chance to coach their one day.

Jason Taylor, that would be the end of us. He is cancer to any club, his record speaks for itself.

First Grader

If they hire any of those three coaches just fold the club now and relocate us

Inactive User

Do you think fans of Cronulla or Wests or Manly when things get tough talk about folding their footy team??? No they dig in. I understand the lack of motivation with renewing memberships as it’s a financial
    Burden but in all other ways you fight on and never give up.
    Titans fans harden up a bit.

This is coming from the bloke that was piled on along with MT all off season for not being positive about our prospects for this season.
    We have issues-we deal with them and have another crack.

We have Parkwood facilities, our beautiful City to entice people to, our great stadium, great juniors under a much better program and a Leagues Club on the way.

Fire Up.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/t...52237/page-442

Sounds like the guy knows what he is talking about. The best three out of those is Griffin. I would stay far away from Barrett and Taylor. I think Barrett is playing for his next coaching job like Henry did to Cartwright. He sees the writing on the wall so if he joins as assistant it would make him a shoe in for the top job when they sack Brennan. I say a big no to Barrett as assistant.

There is not much out there in the way of coaches and that is what a lot on the forum have been saying is there concern. Griffin maybe the best option and he has a much better record then the other two.

My concern with Walters is that he is unproven like Brennan was. Yes he has some experience as an assistant and is coaching Queensland other then that it is a huge risk. I think at this time in our history we can't afford to take these big risks. It may pay off and he maybe good but I think the choice of the coach now is probably one of the most important decisions we as a club have ever made.

Even though Griffin may not be perfect he should start to improve us and get us up the ladder and possibly into the 8. If we can start to do that over his tenure in the next 2 or 3 years then someone better maybe available to take us all the way from there. We need improvement as a club otherwise we will continue to hemorrhage fans, sponsors and members.
    Psmitty

QLD Cup

I'm with you on those points psmitty. Griffen's record isn't outstanding but it isn't bad either. Let us keep in mind that he got booted when Penrith were well inside the top eight and they have only gone backwards since. We haven't been in the top eight (even on a temporary basis) for years now.

It is slim pickings for coaches at the moment but I think that we can all agree that we need someone experienced. Barrett and Walters aren't experienced, Taylor is but can't seem to get on with anyone, so it looks like Griffen is the only remaining option. What I do like about him too is he is the complete opposite to Brennan. He wouldn't pick favourites and he is a bit old school. We need that here, we need to install a roll-up-your-sleeves and get stuck into the hard work mentality. Yeah he might piss some players off and get on the wrong side of people, but it is better than sitting back and praising the boys for trying their best and waiting for some luck to change.

But hey what do I know. I thought Brennan was a good appointment at the time. Why couldn't we have been in this predicament when Bellamy was off contract.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I'm with you on those points psmitty. Griffen's record isn't outstanding but it isn't bad either. Let us keep in mind that he got booted when Penrith were well inside the top eight and they have only gone backwards since. We haven't been in the top eight (even on a temporary basis) for years now.

It is slim pickings for coaches at the moment but I think that we can all agree that we need someone experienced. Barrett and Walters aren't experienced, Taylor is but can't seem to get on with anyone, so it looks like Griffen is the only remaining option. What I do like about him too is he is the complete opposite to Brennan. He wouldn't pick favourites and he is a bit old school. We need that here, we need to install a roll-up-your-sleeves and get stuck into the hard work mentality. Yeah he might piss some players off and get on the wrong side of people, but it is better than sitting back and praising the boys for trying their best and waiting for some luck to change.

But hey what do I know. I thought Brennan was a good appointment at the time. Why couldn't we have been in this predicament when Bellamy was off contract.
    I think you and Smitty have summarised how I feel as well. I'm not disappointed that Walters may not come (if the above post is true) and would take Griffin over the other two, who I would not touch. Even though options are thin at present I don't know why anyone would even talk to Taylor and Barrett. Maybe they do that to keep the price down.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 01-07-19 at 12:48 PM.

Inactive User

If it’s true that Walters doesn’t have the Kahunas to Coach us then can we just please sack Brennan today and immediately start Griffen on the job.

kevvie > Griffen >>>>> Brennan>>>>>>>>fold the club>>>>>>>>>>>barrett / jt

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    From a poster on LU

Reading this guys post history, pretty sure he's a troll. Wouldn't take anything he says (or anything on the LU forums) seriously at all.
    Last edited by NYCDB; 01-07-19 at 09:37 PM.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by NYCDB View Post
    Reading this guys post history, pretty sure he's a troll. Wouldn't take anything he says (or anything on the LU forms) seriously at all.
    I think that the fact the Owners/Board are deafeningly silent and we have the Walters Post Origin 3 rumours points in that direction still.

And Mal's denial when asked on fox league wasn't very convincing either.

the sad thing is that with ANY showing of competency in close games we would be sitting top 6 or so and won double the amount of games. that's a double edged sword though as this is the absolute weakest NRL comp since 2010 or so. there's 3 goods team, 2 ok teams and then basically steaming piles of crap the rest of the way. to not make the finals in this rabble says volumes and we don't have major injuries until Arrow recently, but the season had already sailed anyway.

With Kevvie and maybe Griffen i will contemplate renewing membership - anything less and ill just pick and choose games to attend as my time is hard to free up as it is - its not worth the pressure and effort when there isn't enough coming from their side of the fence.

and i don't mean just effort in games. they often try and a lot of players try really hard - it keeps us in games when we otherwise don't deserve sometimes, so i mean more application to training and discipline, execution of skills. its all a shambles really.

Must keep players for me -

1. Brimson
    3. Kelly
    8. Mofo
    9. Peats and Rein are fine -ish. dont have a problem with them, more how they are used and cant see anyone else on horizon for us.
    10.James
    13. Arrow

Would like to keep Carty to be honest - and there are guys that im ok with - Copley, Tyrone etc that can play roles under the right coach but arent vital to our success

QLD Cup

That about sums it up for me as well DB. I'd only keep one of Peats and Rein though, I don't think we need both and should bring a youngster through off the bench to fill that role. I'd preferably keep Peats because I think he is a better defender and leader and Rein tends to gas a bit in games. In saying that though, Peats really needs to work on his passing to get back to where he used to be.

I'd also like to add a list of players that we need to get rid of if we are ever going to be able compete at NRL level.

Boyd - Massively overpaid and one dimensional.
    Don - I've moaned about him enough but to some up he personifies mediocracy.
    Latu & Stockwell - Not NRL standard. Taking up too much cap space.
    Matthews - Obviously.
    Roberts - He just cannot stay when Brennan goes. Sure he has had some good games this year but when he plays bad he is really bad. He demands so much of the ball so when he's off the whole team suffers. Not only that but during his first stint here he was detrimental for the culture of the team, so when he is no longer the teachers pet I can imagine him slipping back into those ways.

Others that would need to prove themselves very quickly:

Proctor - Yes he's been a plodder but he hasn't been working off a decent game plan or playing outside a permanent half. I actually think that if you can put a decent game in front of him then he will respond. But also he should be trialled on the left edge also.
    Wallace - Should be dropped to the bench and told to improve his discipline (also should develop a fend!)
    Peachey - If he improved his attitude and bought into the place he would make a great 14.
    Taylor - Give him a decent coach and take his safety nets away from him (Eg. Roberts, Brennan) and I firmly believe he will bounce back.

The rest I am niether here nor there on. I like the additions of Whitbread and Arthars this year but niether are week in-week out first graders yet. They will be but they need to earn their stripes first.