Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

I have been saying for a while Brennan isn't the one. People say we haven't got the money for a top coach well we will have to find the money from somewhere otherwise it will he more of the same. Big name coaches attract good signings. We have to move heaven and earth to get a good one. The owners have the money to get a good one. I just dont think we could survive another rookie coach again like Walter's. Even Mal has had limited coaching experience on a week to week basis and when he coached Queensland to the decades of wins he had a team full of future immortals. I'm not saying he wont be ok but it's a risk and I dont think we can take any more gambles. Pay the money and get a good coach.
    Psmitty

We missed our chance when we sacked Henry, if we had waited a little longer we had a shot at Bellamy. Him, Robinson and Maguire are all locked up until the end of 2021 so we are really no chance of getting any of them.
    The only coaches available next year are Stuart, Pay and Brown. No thanks to the first 2 and if Brown gets Newcastle to the finals he will most likely get an extension and I also doubt that he would want to go back into a development role.
    Mal has stated many times over the years that he doesn't want to be an NRL coach and the kangaroos role is a full time position which may mean he would have to decide between us or the top job. Doubt he would quit as kangaroos coach.
    Walters applied and then withdrew before we appointed Brennan so IMO he has already demonstrated that he isn't committed to us.
    If Toovey is so good why is he still unemployed?
    There is NO standout option that is currently available in my opinion and that means we would have to try and poach someone and that can get very ugly and I doubt that the club would want to heap that pile of negative publicity on themselves.

I think the short term solution is that the players need to held accountable and dropped if necessary regardless of statue or salary and if we have to play rookies then so be it. Newcastle went through it and they are now starting to see some rewards.
    Brennan needs to have his recruitment scrutinised more by people like Mal. We cant afford anymore duds.

Kevin Walters?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    I think the short term solution is that the players need to held accountable and dropped if necessary regardless of statue or salary.
    This. If Brenko Lees form warranted a drop, than so does Peacheys. Ridiculous if hes still named at centre next week.

Quote Originally Posted by TitansState View Post
    This. If Brenko Lees form warranted a drop, than so does Peacheys. Ridiculous if hes still named at centre next week.
    Our problems run a lot deeper than one or two players being dropped. The only players that don't deserve dropping at the moment would be Arrow and Brimson. The players have no sense of pride in the jersey and our coach is clueless full stop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    Kevin Walters?
    Don't rate him as a coach imo. He showed last year during Origin how smart of a coach he is. Put Ponga on in origin 2 whilst Queensland were defending set after set by the Blues who were full of momentum, then he was too tired to attack when QLD started getting a roll on. Plus listen to him on Fox Sports and his analysis is not brilliant at all.

Reckon we need a hard edge coach who will rev these players up, rather than a Mr nice guy. The players might sook but it's what they need. That's the only slim hope we have of getting this club to survive.

Brian Smith
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Not yet, but he has to act now.
    Proctor out.
    AJ fullback. Sorry Mick but we need him there.
    Wallace to Burleigh/Tweed.
    Arrow captain.
    Ryan James put on notice. Get your mongrel back or join Wallace.
    Hipgrave starts. At least he puts in an effort.

I agree with ozy, I don't really see any other viable options to be honest. It's not too late for Garth, start making players accountable. Make them give a damn.

Wallace learnt nothing from his cataclysmic fall from grace during Origin ... he is the Polar Bear with teats.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Now that the disappointment has waned, I can't help but think that Brennan needs a little more leeway. We've only seen his first pick side for 80 minutes, but they'll be better for it next week. He has assembled a good squad, let's give them more than a game before we start baying for blood. There are 26 rounds in the comp, who knows what will happen.

OK, like others, I've had a sleep and some reflection, and revisited this post by Mr Bods in another thread. Interesting if you read the expectation. His KPI's can't be looking good for 2019 though.

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan signs contract extension amid finals expectations

TITANS owner Darryl Kelly has challenged Garth Brennan to deliver the club a finals berth in 2019 after granting the Gold Coast coach a contract extension.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Brennan has secured a one-year extension that will keep him at the helm of the Titans until at least 2020.

Brennan had a performance clause in the two-year deal he originally signed to join the Titans, but club powerbrokers have opted to extend his tenure to bring stability to the Gold Coast.

The decision will allow Brennan to focus on next year without the worry of being off-contract after the Titans finished 14th last season in his first year at the club.

But the show of faith brings higher expectations with co-owner Kelly declaring he wants to see the Titans play finals football for the first time since 2016.

Brennan couldn’t take the Titans back to the finals in his first year as coach. AAP Image/Dave Hunt.
    MORE NRL NEWS

BRENNAN WON’T GIVE UP ON CARTY

BRONCOS BOSS SAYS THEY DIDN’T SNUB KEVVIE

“Garth was a first-year coach and has been reviewed,” he said.

“We believe he made some first-year coaching errors during the year. We’ve discussed those with him and expressed our point of view.

“He tried to spread himself too thinly. We want him to get back to coaching more and not worrying about some of the things he was worried about.

“A vast improvement (in the team’s performance) is exactly what I’m expecting and I’ve had those conversations.

“We’ve been talked about as having all this potential and it’s time to produce.

“It’s all about mindset and achieving the one-percenters. The level of professionalism needs to be lifted right across the organisation. That’s our focus for the next 12 months.

“The next step for us is the top eight and that would be a pass mark at this stage. It won’t be for much longer, but it will be for next year.”

The Titans showed some promising signs last season after Brennan took over the reins from sacked coach Neil Henry.

However their defence simply wasn’t good enough and offset any attacking brilliance as the Titans slumped to an 8-16 record.

Brennan has been handed a one-year extension. Picture by Jerad Williams.
    Brennan unearthed some gems in young guns Jai Arrow, AJ Brimson and Phillip Sami, but his recruitment of Panthers forwards Bryce Cartwright and Leilani Latu backfired.

Brennan has signed former Test prop Shannon Boyd (Raiders), NSW Origin utility Tyrone Peachey (Panthers) and brought five-eighth Tyrone Roberts back to the club from Warrington to beef-up his squad.

Brennan, 46, said he has been buoyed by the contract extension but admitted he had to deliver next season.

“It’s a show of faith in me from the club which is pleasing,” he said.

“The club knows the results weren’t the best last year but the foundations were laid for us to build on.

“That’s what I said from day one - we’ve got to start from scratch. It’s not going to happen overnight.

“It’s about building foundations. We did that last year and this year will be another year of continuing to improve on what we’ve been doing.

Peachey is Gold Coast’s marquee recruit. Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images.
    “Our ambition is to play semi-final football and we’re no different to the other 15 clubs in the competition.”

The Titans will begin their 2019 campaign when the players report for pre-season training on Monday.

Executive chairman Dennis Watt said the decision to extend Brennan was to bring long-term certainty.

“It’s a vote of confidence from the club and board in Garth as an individual and also as a coach,” he said.

“We see him very much as a coach of the future. We’ve really liked what we’ve seen this year.

“We expect that he will be the long-term coach of the Titans. There is a lot to be said about not looking too short-term.

“At this stage we’re a bottom-of-the-table club but we certainly don’t intend staying there.

“We’re doing everything we can to be contending for the prize.”

I don't know where else to raise this, so I'll throw it in here.

Something I mentioned about the club's focus as a brand was that it seems to me that it has had only one eye on football and one eye on social engagement.

Even after a social media fan/member meltdown on Facebook, the Titans are advertising on their own page about a magician performing shows at Dreamworld throughout April, which in this time of turmoil almost seems inflammatory to fans and members who are screaming for answers and accountability.

It seems to me that football and what happens on the field is almost getting to the point of being second to other advertising and cross promotion and it's been happening since last year. Nothing to do with coaching, but my point I raised somehwere else is that I wonder if getting players to be upstanding community role models is possibly infringing on their ability to be 1st grade football players?
    I understand they are not mutually exclusive, but no one is expecting Andrew Fifita to be a gentleman and change his nature, or others who have created some headlines outside of football, but also create headlines on the field as well.

My point is that maybe the club needs to get back to focusing on footy and less about community engagement, at least during pre-season and regular season. I think it's a major distraction. I was happier when I was dissapointed about Greg Bird p!$$ing on cop cars but at least he was performing on the field.

The conundrum of having your cake and eating it too.

I certainly can't understand the support for Toovey on here. A competitor for sure but he was given a premiership winning side at Manly and they gradually got worse.

I think Brennan has to be persevered with for now but he really needs to prove he has the nuts to make tough calls. I don't know what he can do to get the forwards playing with a bit of power but the first move I'd make is sack James as captain. That might send a message. My concern with Brennan is that he just doesn't seem to want to make tough calls. Not selecting one hooker is a start, buying Boyd, staying with James as captain who has done nothing for over a season now. I have watched every game so far this round and without exception every side has shown more intensity and drive than us. When we take the field we don't seem ready to roll up the sleeves and get physical. That must be down to the coach. Why he was given a one year extension before this season started is beyond me - it's not if he was going to be poached by another club.

Our defence out wide is hopeless and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. The attack is a mess. I think I've convinced myself we need a new coach! But who. (I assume Titanic was taking the p1ss when he mentioned Brian Smith).
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 06-04-19 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    I don't know where else to raise this, so I'll throw it in here.

Something I mentioned about the club's focus as a brand was that it seems to me that it has had only one eye on football and one eye on social engagement.

Even after a social media fan/member meltdown on Facebook, the Titans are advertising on their own page about a magician performing shows at Dreamworld throughout April, which in this time of turmoil almost seems inflammatory to fans and members who are screaming for answers and accountability.

It seems to me that football and what happens on the field is almost getting to the point of being second to other advertising and cross promotion and it's been happening since last year. Nothing to do with coaching, but my point I raised somehwere else is that I wonder if getting players to be upstanding community role models is possibly infringing on their ability to be 1st grade football players?
    I understand they are not mutually exclusive, but no one is expecting Andrew Fifita to be a gentleman and change his nature, or others who have created some headlines outside of football, but also create headlines on the field as well.

My point is that maybe the club needs to get back to focusing on footy and less about community engagement, at least during pre-season and regular season. I think it's a major distraction. I was happier when I was dissapointed about Greg Bird p!$$ing on cop cars but at least he was performing on the field.
    I see your point C-Whiz but I can also see what the club is trying to do. We have barely 6000-700 members which is far and away the worst in the comp (Manly are the next lowest with 11000ish from memory) and the club is trying to win over the 550000 odd people who live in the GC. They are trying to connect with the community and especially impact schools to win over kids (aka the next generation of Titans fans they hope).

But also I think it is a lost cause somewhat. I don't live in the Gold Coast personally (as the name suggests) but we are not a rugby league heartland. Despite having one of the broadest and best junior areas, the GC people don't seem to care for rugby league. You look at the Cowboys and Newcastle for example. In their first 5 years the Cowboys won 2 wooden spoons and Newcastle won 3 wooden spoons straight between 2015-2017. Yet still the fans turn up and support because both areas live and breathe rugby league. They don't care and will cheer their team either way.

Switch over to the Titans and we barely scrape in 10000 to home games and most of the fans there are the away fans. With every year gone by we have lost hundreds of fans and probably thousands of potential new fans through our disgusting on field performances. And if we don't see a bit of success soon it might only be us few blokes on the forum left. It's a tough one but the club needs to focus on the on field stuff as the priority.