Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast
    Immortal

Feel for Jamie McCormack in the discussion about juniors, he has been doing an outstanding job for the last couple of years with limited resources (until our new owners) and has done an outstanding hob,

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Feel for Jamie McCormack in the discussion about juniors, he has been doing an outstanding job for the last couple of years with limited resources (until our new owners) and has done an outstanding hob,
    Totally agree was very disappointed not to see him mentioned

I personally think we should lock in Justin Holbrook asap before any other club is in a position to.
    We won't find better

BRENT READ
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    @brentread_7
    12:00AM JULY 20, 2019

Former Penrith coach Royce Simmons concedes his memory can be a little scratchy these days but he does his best where Justin Holbrook is concerned.

“I remember him, yeah,” Simmons said.

“He played at Penrith for maybe a year, maybe two. It wasn’t long. He is a smart operator. When he came along I was probably not thinking about him being a coach but he was very smart, he knew the game.

“He was just on the edge of being a regular first-grader. He knew how to play the game but maybe lacked a bit of pace.

“But when you talked to him, he knew what you were talking about.”

Nearly two decades after Holbrook played eight games at Penrith under Simmons, the former halfback has become the hottest property in the coaching game.

He has been linked with a succession of clubs in recent months, first Cronulla, then Canterbury and of late Gold Coast.

All have had their interest piqued by the 43-year-old’s remarkable record in England, where he has led Super League side St Helens to 61 wins in the 76 games on his watch — a stunning 80 per cent record of success.

Saints have offered him a contract extension and given him until the end of the month to accept the deal or they will look elsewhere.

Holbrook’s reluctance has suggested he is keen to return to Australia and he seems likely to be accommodated, if not now then at some point in the near future.

The Titans are expected to shortlist him to replace the sacked Garth Brennan. Canterbury will keep a watchful eye on proceedings given his pedigree — he is a Bulldogs junior and was once on their coaching staff, in charge of their NSW Cup side.

From there, he bounced to St George Illawarra and Parramatta as under-20s coach. Former Dragons coach Steve Price was responsible for luring him to St George Illawarra, the pair having a friendship that stretched back to when they won a grand final in under-7s in the Canterbury junior competition.

“The players loving playing for him,” said Price, who as coach of Warrington is now Holbrook’s chief rival in Super League.

“They play a fast brand of football his teams. Everything is about playing quick. He’s ready for (coaching in the NRL). He’ll do a good job.”

Having made a big impression at the Dragons and Eels, Holbrook found a home at the Roosters alongside Trent Robinson. Robinson and Holbrook had history.

Growing up in Sydney, Holbrook lived over the back fence of Robinson’s cousins in the suburb of Revesby in Sydney’s southwest.

“I always knew of Justin and I always followed him,” Robinson said.

“But I also followed his teams and the way they played. They consistently circled at the top so I always knew Justin had something about him.

“He had obviously played at the Roosters. He understands the game really well but his strength is his ability to put it into words that footballers understand consistently. He understands the wider part of rugby league really well but he has a really simple approach to getting it across to players.”

Holbrook’s path to the NRL is eerily similarly to Robinson’s. Neither had noteworthy careers as players — Holbrook played 17 games across four years in the top grade at Newcastle, Penrith and the Roosters.

Robinson played four games for Wests Tigers and Parramatta. Both dipped their toe in the water as assistant coaches before moving to Super League, Robinson spending time in the south of France including two years with Catalans.

Robinson has been a spectacular success since his return to the NRL, no doubt fuelling the belief in clubland that Super League is a proven testing ground for future head coaches.

“It is not given enough respect, the Super League competition,” Robinson said.

“Because of the length of the competition you have to have consistency. It is a long competition through all different conditions with less finances.’’

“He knows footy. He knows the tactical side of the game but he also knows the player.”

Holbrook’s own playing career no doubt helps on that front. He started his first-grade career at Newcastle under Warren Ryan, backing up the Johns brothers. He moved to Penrith and then finished at the Roosters under Ricky Stuart, his four games in first grade more often than not playing alongside club legend and now NSW coach Brad Fittler. On occasion, he roomed with another Roosters giant, Luke Ricketson.

“He was a champion, a great guy,” Ricketson said.

“He was a real football brain and a lover of the game. He was one of those guys you relied upon to be first to training and talking in the sheds afterwards talking about football and about the players and plays.

“He has a great rapport with the blokes. Culturally he would be fantastic to have at the top of your club.”

We may find out soon enough as the Titans close in on their replacement for Brennan. Holbrook has been hailed as the frontrunner for the Gold Coast job, although the club is expected to follow a process before declaring their new coach.

Crucially, Holbrook has worked in a system where money doesn’t grow on trees. St Helens are a giant in the English game but they are self-sufficient. They stay within their means.

The Titans aren’t among the most freewheeling clubs in the game.

BRENT READSENIOR SPORTS WRITER

First Grader

Id be absolutely stoked with him. Give him complete control...players get moved on not the coach. I honestly feel hes the best bet after bellamy. What other coach (that has been discussed) has proven anywhere near what he has done?

Inactive User

I sure hope Daryl/Rebecca/Mal pitched something to Bellamy today. I’m sure he enjoyed seeing his kids and the Beautiful GC weather.

Holbrook could be our Trent Robinson, hes my choice. Most of the top teams the past few years have all had coaches with little nrl experience. Guys like Toovey and griffim got sacked for a reason

First Grader

Thought this was an interesting comment on reddit regarding holbrook

Holbrook is supposedly a great man manager. He demands excellence at St Helens, and recruited extremely well for them, pretty much saved them from relegation and made a Dynasty. I've read he has a very stern but respected relationship with players. It says in the article he won back to back premierships with the Doggies in lower grade, and was the Juniors Kangaroos coach and won three in a row against the Kiwis, where he also coached Ash Taylor...

He was also assistant coach to Trent Robinson before he went to St Helens.

He also was a halfback and is supposedly a great halves coach. Which is good since Ash needs a good mentor, and Brennan was everything but that for Taylor.

Holbrook is my pick of the litter. I hope he gets it. He'd most likely bring a few of his favourite players from the Saints too.

Rep Player

Yeah I’m on the Holbrook train now. Hope we get him.

Luke Lewis says Gold Coast Titans should hire Craig Bellamy as coach

WRITTEN BY
    SPORTING NEWS

Rugby league legend Luke Lewis says the Gold Coast Titans should attempt to hire Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy after the sacking of Garth Brennan last week.

The last-placed Titans parted ways with Brennan after last weekend's 24-2 defeat to the Panthers.

After another defeat this weekend, this time to the Melbourne Storm, sees the Titans with just four wins from 17 matches in 2019.
    A few names have been mentioned as possible replacements for Brennan, with two-time premiership winner Lewis saying Bellamy is the man for the job.

"They need success, and the only way they're going to get success is with a really good coach," he said.
    "For me, it's Craig Bellamy. Craig Bellamy is the man the Gold Coast Titans need.

"If they can get Craig Bellamy and get him to instill culture - which he's super good at - he knows how to attract players and they'll get players to the club and not have to pay crazy money for them.

"Because players want to be coached by Craig Bellamy.

"If I was at the Gold Coast and I was controlling them, I'd be making every play possible to get Craig Bellamy there."
    Lewis explained that Bellamy's history of breeding young players could be the key to the Titans climbing the competition ladder.

"The one thing I like about Craig Bellamy, is he brings it from a young age," he said.
    "It's not bought from outside - he builds it from the inside.

"For me, at the moment, I feel like the Titans are just buying for the sake of buying and pulling people in for the sake of pulling people in.
    "They really need to narrow the focus to who we need at the club, why we need them at the club and how they're going to make it successful.

"Then we can build up all the young kids from around there, bring them through the grades to have success and to create that culture that Melbourne have done."

Bellamy had been linked to a move to the Broncos last season, but re-signed with the Storm on the three year deal.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...11gg8myoq8gknt

Thought Mr Bods might like this.
    Psmitty

Rep Player

What’s in it for Bellamy?

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    What’s in it for Bellamy?
    Happy wife. Moving to the Coast as she wants to move to the coast to be closer with their kids here.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Bellamy is signed through 2021. Cam Smith is signed through 2020 and is apparently already making noises about playing on in 2021. When Bellamy gave some of the reasons he was happy to sign his current three year deal he was quoted as saying “It would've been very hard to coach against guys like Cameron, Billy and Hoffy who were all here when I started in 2003.”

So, as much as many contracts in rugby league are not worth the paper they are printed on these days, given Bellamy’s ongoing rhetoric about the values underpinning a strong club, it seems unlikely to me that he would break his contract, particularly while Smith is still there.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    Bellamy is signed through 2021. Cam Smith is signed through 2020 and is apparently already making noises about playing on in 2021. When Bellamy gave some of the reasons he was happy to sign his current three year deal he was quoted as saying “It would've been very hard to coach against guys like Cameron, Billy and Hoffy who were all here when I started in 2003.”

So, as much as many contracts in rugby league are not worth the paper they are printed on these days, given Bellamy’s ongoing rhetoric about the values underpinning a strong club, it seems unlikely to me that he would break his contract, particularly while Smith is still there.
    Yeah regardless of reasons why not you just have a crack

Happy wife
    Access to kids
    Access to grandkids
    A chance to be undoubtedly the greatest coach in history
    And be a dead set legend in the community you plan to spend your retirement years in
    Plus throw $$$$$$$ at him

You gotta try rather than be defeatist
    Have a crack
    Never give up

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Yeah regardless of reasons why not you just have a crack

Happy wife
    Access to kids
    Access to grandkids
    A chance to be undoubtedly the greatest coach in history
    And be a dead set legend in the community you plan to spend your retirement years in
    Plus throw $$$$$$$ at him

You gotta try rather than be defeatist
    Have a crack
    Never give up
    Since we're dreaming, why not go for Bellamy with Cam Smith as his assistant? If only Brenno had lasted another year, we could've gone at them for 2021!

Also from memory the football department salary caps start to get tighter as well. So you may see some head coach contracts come down abit to fit in the cap. I will report back what is included in the cap so we all know.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady