Page 39 of 58 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    ^^^ might want to add a zero to that crowd figure.

Bellamy is up here this weekend. If we don't attempt to talk to him (the same way we let Bennett slip by I might add) then the club is run by buffoons. He's contracted till 2022 so any coach coming on only gets 2 years and we work our asses off for Bellamy from 2023 onward.
    i had similar thoughts about pre signing Cam Smith for 2021.

Hes not Bellamy, but would Bellamy even be Bellamy without Smith? or would Smith be Smith without Bellamy? argh my head hurts

The more I think about the future coach the more I think experience is what we need. That really means for me it has to be either Griffin, Toovey or Sheens. Sheens is growing on me as he has a huge amount of experience including multiple premierships and the coaching of Greg Alexander and Scott Prince in the halves.

His record is:
    YEARS TEAM GS W D L W%
    1984–87 Penrith Panthers 98 43 4 51 44
    1988–96 Canberra Raiders 220 148 3 69 67
    1997–01 Nth Qld Cowboys 103 27 4 72 26
    2003–12 Wests Tigers 250 122 0 128 49
    2017–19 Hull Kingston Rovers 78 44 2 32 56
    Total 749 384 13 352 51

Representative

YEARS TEAM GS W D L W%
    1991 NSW City 1 0 0 1 0
    1991 New South Wales 3 1 0 2 33
    2006–08 NSW City 3 2 1 0 67
    2009–15 Australia 31 26 1 4 84

I think all those with experience have been booted from teams for different reasons and have had teams where they had no success but it is hard to go past his experience. Apparently he has a good relationship with Mal and Scott Sattler in the Gold Coast Bulletin believes he is the man for the Titans to chance. Not a perfect option but I am warming to him and Toovey.
    Last edited by psmitty; 16-07-19 at 09:23 AM.
    Psmitty

First Grader

Not a fan of sheens. Hasnt done anything for a long time i believe. Stand to be corrected though

Yea I'm not excited about the prospect of Sheens either.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans can’t afford another rookie coach’: Sattler anoints Gold Coast’s saviour
    As the race for the vacant Titans coaching job heats up, Scott Sattler has urged the club to chase one of the NRL’s most successful coaches who holds a long relationship with Mal Meninga.

The Courier-Mail

Former Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens and Ipswich Jets duo Ben and Shane Walker have been mentioned in the mix of potential new Titans coaches.

The Walker brothers have thrown their hats in the ring for the vacant Gold Coast job following the termination of Garth Brennan’s contract last weekend.

Overlooked by the Titans in 2017 following Neil Henry’s sacking, the brothers have bided their time with Queensland Cup team Ipswich.

Shane Walker said the disappointment of being beaten to the role by Brennan hadn’t put him and his brother off the Titans position.

“No, not at all. It’s a bit like when you ask a girl out on a date, sometimes she rejects you and then you end up marrying her,” Walker said.

“All I can say is we are 100 per cent keen on getting the job … we’ve been involved in NRL systems since we were 14.

“We haven’t had the need to take the traditional route of being an assistant to someone.

“It was a conscious decision to set ourselves up that way.”

The pair have been in charge of Ipswich for almost a decade, leading the club to the Queensland Cup premiership in 2016.

However, Titans’ foundation football manager Scott Sattler has called for Sheens to be appointed as head coach of the struggling Gold Coast club.

Sheens has had an illustrious coaching career – steering the 1985 Penrith side to their first finals’ berth, coaching Canberra to premiership wins in 1989, 1990 and 1994 and taking the Wests Tigers to their 2005 NRL premiership.

The 68-year-old has also notched up an 83.87 per cent success record at a representative level.

Sattler said Sheens would be the perfect partner for current Kangaroos coach and Titans’ head of performance and culture Mal Meninga in steering the club to success.

Sattler has warned against signing another rookie coach. Picture: Darren England.
    Sattler has warned against signing another rookie coach. Picture: Darren England.
    “The Gold Coast can’t afford to sign another rookie coach,” he said

“They have to find someone with experience and success.

“Sheens and Meninga have tasted more success than most other coaches.

“They have this synergy that has existed between themselves since the 80s that I believe would bring success quicker rather than long-term.”

Sheens was also able to develop young prospective halfbacks, in Scott Prince and Greg Alexander, into a premiership-winning captains and award-winning players.

Sattler said he could have the same effect with young Titans halfback Ash Taylor.

“Sheens understands the human side of things,” Sattler said.
    “He coached a young half by the name of Greg Alexander in 1985.

“He developed Scott Prince into a premiership-winning captain within the space of 18 months.

“There’s so many synergies here with Ash Taylor, Scott Prince, Greg Alexander.

“He knows how to make things work and, more importantly, sets up a succession plan so the club remains sustainable.”

Sattler also admitted Kevin Walters, who has been touted as a potential successor to Brennan, has unfinished business in the Origin arena and won’t likely take the role this year.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-gol...b-77601b159ca0

Interesting discussions from Wally and Lockyer and Gus.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-gol...b-77601b159ca0

Interesting discussions from Wally and Lockyer and Gus.
    Of course Gus would take aim defending his good mate Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Of course Gus would take aim defending his good mate Brennan
    Absolutely mate. From memory Gus gave him a nudge this way.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

First Grader

Everything gus said is right though. Id rather clear the roster then deal with another player revolt. Next coach needs full control of the dressing room, the ability to dropped a player if he sees fit for any reason. Be their friends but keep it completely professional. Sir alex fergusons book is a good insight into succesful dressing room dynamics

If only sacking players was as easy as blaming and sacking the coach. We'd see a different attitude in the team every week that's for sure.

Glad you said it Upthetits, I couldn't bring myself to say I agree with Gus.

Probably not the most appropriate thread but I expected to come on here and see outrage over the second story on the 9 news tonight about us going to Brisbane and playing at least 8 games there and be called the South East Qld Titans. Apparently Ribot and (oh Christ I can't remember but he's an ex Bronco with arrogance to match) so greed would figure heavily in their plans based on their Super League form.
    Hopefully the story is a kite flying exercise to see what reaction it gets but my reaction is not printable.
    It really sh1ts me about how a lot of these relocation stories are centred around the fact that our crowds have halved. I defy anyone to show me a club that has still held average crowds of 11,000 after the crap we have been through.
    Hopefully someone can upload the news story, but it's scary stuff.
    Last edited by Mexican titan; 17-07-19 at 06:11 PM.

Inactive User

There’s a separate thread on it
    What bastards

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    There’s a separate thread on it
    What bastards
    Yeah sorry mate, it was put up while I was typing my post. Effwits. However our new coach and the other issues we have are insignificant if the story has legs.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Yeah sorry mate, it was put up while I was typing my post. Effwits. However our new coach and the other issues we have are insignificant if the story has legs.
    No way does it have legs. It’s just the pile on of the envious condescending douche bags up the M1

is it Chris Johns? haven't read it - i just remember he and Ribot were thick as thieves back in the day.

yeah these make me feel sick - but its just the cycle. We had the Perth Sharks going on for ages in last couple of years due to financials and their other problems with cheating.

We are an easy target, but we are much more stable now we have owners committed to coast.

When NRL was putting us out to tender, THAT was frightening cos these consortium's could have bought us and shipped us anywhere, but we have owners and as long as they stick fat and pay the bills, we arent going anywhere. who can make us?

We aren't disgracing the game with bad behaviour or cheating, we just sacked a coach for performance issues and have spent ONE WEEK on bottom of table. the feeding frenzy will move onto someone else very soon.

The only pause for concern would be if Daryl or Rebecca indicated they didnt want to stump up cash anymore, but no way they give up after 2 years or whatever