Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast
    Inactive User

if you are going to bring up the Walker Bros then how about Jim Lenihan?

Just thinking overnight regarding the article Upthetits posted yesterday about Mal review etc. Two players supported Brennan. Arrow and Roberts. If I'm reading between the lines this gives Arrow a reason to go to the open market. Good ploy by his management if this is the case.

As for a coach. Dunno and honestly, it doesn't seem to matter, we now have a case of the tail wagging the dog and the club has shown twice it will choose players over coaches.

I have bolded the part of the article that should show everyone just what he thinks about coaching us...….

Gold Coast Titans identify frontline contender to replace Garth Brennan
    Despite Kevin Walters’ passion for the Queensland State of Origin team, he remains in the sights of Gold Coast powerbrokers following Garth Brennan’s sacking.
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail

Subscriber only
    |
    July 14, 2019 5:58pm

The Titans have identified Kevin Walters as a frontline contender to replace sacked Garth Brennan despite the Queensland Origin coach insisting he is committed to the Maroons.
    The Courier-Mail understands the Titans have Walters firmly on their hit list and will immediately shortlist the Broncos legend if he is prepared to parlay his Origin successes with the Maroons to the NRL arena.
    Titans culture-and-performance chief Mal Meninga will table his review to the Gold Coast board today before club bosses begin ramping-up the search for Brennan’s successor.
    Despite Walters’ passion for the Queensland Origin team, he remains in the sights of Titans powerbrokers.
    Walters is reluctant to publicly spruik his claims for an NRL coaching job after the machinations of two years ago, when he was urged not to apply for the Titans post following the sacking of Neil Henry and instead aim to become Wayne Bennett’s successor at the Broncos.
    Walters was subsequently left shattered when he missed out on the Broncos job to Anthony Seibold, leaving him wary of formally applying for any NRL position.
    If the Titans want their man, they will have to make the first move to secure Walters, who has done a fine job with the Queensland Origin team, winning two of four series and blooding 21 debutants during his 12-game tenure.
    Walters is contracted to the Queensland Rugby League until the end of 2020 and, with no formal approach from the Titans thus far, is content in his current role with the Maroons.
    “I’m very happy in my role with the Queensland Rugby League and there’s more I want to achieve with the Maroons,” Walters said.

“I don’t know where all the speculation has come from (linking him to the Titans post), it certainly wasn’t driven by me.
    “I’m contracted with Queensland for another year and after the disappointment of this year (Queensland’s 2-1 series loss to NSW in the Origin decider last Wednesday night), I want to keep taking the Maroons forward.
    “I’ve overseen a lot of change with our program in the last four years, I’ve brought through a lot of new faces, and I love working with a great group of Queensland players led by Kalyn Ponga, Daly Cherry-Evans and Cameron Munster.
    “I’m very happy with Queensland so that’s my focus at this stage.”
    Well-placed sources have told The Courier-Mail the Titans regard Walters as a “very strong candidate”. He has a 30-year association with Meninga dating back to their days at the Canberra Raiders with both having since coached the Maroons to Origin glory.

Walters turns 52 in October and the sacking of Brennan was regarded as a now-or-never moment for the Broncos legend to finally realise his long-held ambition of becoming an NRL head coach.
    History shows very few coaches make their debut in the NRL beyond the age of 50, but Walters says he isn’t as desperate to become a club coach as some would believe.
    “I’d like to coach in the NRL one day, but I’m not going to chase any gig that comes along,” he said.
    “I’m very happy in my current role and if I don’t become an NRL coach, that’s fine.
    “I’ve got other things in my life, I’m enjoying my media work with Fox Sports on top of my role with the Queensland Origin team, so I’m happy to bide my time and see which opportunities come up.”
    The Titans must decide whether to chase an experienced coach or an NRL greenhorn.
    Souths assistant Jason Demetriou and Ipswich co-coaches Ben and Shane Walker were interviewed two years ago by Titans bosses, only to lose out to Brennan.

Ben and Shane Walker have previously interviewed for the Titans coaching job.
    Demetriou is being groomed to succeed Wayne Bennett at South Sydney, while the Walkers recently met with Titans culture chief Mal Meninga to discuss their philosophies on the game.
    Sacked Panthers coach Anthony Griffin is one experienced option on the market, while Jim Dymock, Roosters assistant Adam O’Brien and St Helens mentor Justin Holbrook have also been mentioned.
    Other possible candidates include former Manly coaches Trent Barrett and Geoff Toovey, the latter of whom took the Sea Eagles to a grand final in 2013.

There are 3 coaches that I don’t want to see at the club and they are Barrett, Taylor and the Walker Bros. They are not the right fit for us. The one thing that that the Brennan exercise has shown we need a strong experienced coach. I can’t remember the shows name but the late night Fox NRL show but James Hooper said that we should go for Walters ( Despite saying he did not want to coach NRL ). The show also referenced the fan poll that said Toovey is the coach fans want....... Interesting times ahead. The
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    There are 3 coaches that I don’t want to see at the club and they are Barrett, Taylor and the Walker Bros. They are not the right fit for us. The one thing that that the Brennan exercise has shown we need a strong experienced coach. I can’t remember the shows name but the late night Fox NRL show but James Hooper said that we should go for Walters ( Despite saying he did not want to coach NRL ). The show also referenced the fan poll that said Toovey is the coach fans want....... Interesting times ahead. The
    I agree with you about Barrett, Taylor and the Walkers and have said my bit about Toovey. I saw that Fox show and I just don't think Walters is worth begging to. It's no time for experiments and we need someone experienced and direct. Also a new captain. It's a shallow pool of options so I'd probably go for Griffin.

Inactive User

Fittler talks about relocating us yesterday and what then happens?? I just heard Corey Parker’s wife and Luke Bradnam on the radio giving oxygen to having our club die.
    The fight to survive is on again.

So I ask all fans to stop the sooking and commit to the review, the process to getting a Coach and getting around the new Coach even if he’s not your choice.

And get to the game on Sunday

Kevvie needs to accept that he'll never lead a QLD squad to a Origin series win. So enjoy the position while you hold it. Hopefully the Donkey's carry out a full review in their camp over the off season, and put the broom through the place as well. Then Walters can be in the plum job better suited to him. But yeah, this tripe about making amends with the QLD Origin squad next year be best put to bed as soon as possible, as I highly doubt a series win will happen under his watch any time soon.

Give the gig to Bennett or Bellamy for a year or two, and piss Kevvie off.

As for coming here, I'm glad he's come out nice and early and announced his opinion. FFS, don't backflip later. Listening to his commentary while calling our games clearly shows he likes taking a piss at our expense.

Blows me away we'd even consider him on that aspect alone.
    Last edited by Toads; 15-07-19 at 07:46 AM.

Immortal

Jim Lenehan and the Walker brothers as assistant coaches?

Exactly how I've felt and how I feel. Well said Toads.

Bods, her name is Marqaux Parker and just because the club sacks the coach (5 weeks to late) doesn't mean I get all happy chills about the Titans and all is forgotten. Players need to stand tall. Couldn't ask for a better team for them to come out and challenge themselves this week than the Storm. They can all now pick up their colleective bottom lips and go out their and show us all how good they keep telling us they are and how they'll "do it for the fans".

Won't be there this weekend Bods, have a work function that finishes at 2pm and I'll head home after rather than the game.

Fittler needs to come to terms that the Fan/Member numbers are dropping across most the Clubs, and the code in general. If he thinks relocating a club up the road is going to improve things he'd be mistaken.

The NRL are in strife, that's clearly evident due to them being MIA at a grassroots level in the regional areas this year. The comp my lad plays in, teams are struggling to make numbers most weekends, and the area is regarded as RL heartland. And yet the AFL is increasing their participation in these regional areas.

So yeah. I doubt Fittler is seeing the bigger picture in regards to the NRL problems.

Surely the only real contenders for the job are Walters, Toovey, Griffin, Holbrook. Fitzgibbon, Barrett, Walker Bros, Taylor, Sheens, Henry and any assistants thrown around surely can't be in the mix. We can't afford to take risks at this crucial time in our history, we have to get this right.

This is why I say we need a hard nose and someone with experience. Walters may be great but it is too risky at this stage. We just took a risk on Brennan and that didn't pay off.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Kevvie needs to accept that he'll never lead a QLD squad to a Origin series win. So enjoy the position while you hold it. Hopefully the Donkey's carry out a full review in their camp over the off season, and put the broom through the place as well. Then Walters can be in the plum job better suited to him. But yeah, this tripe about making amends with the QLD Origin squad next year be best put to bed as soon as possible, as I highly doubt a series win will happen under his watch any time soon.

Give the gig to Bennett or Bellamy for a year or two, and piss Kevvie off.

As for coming here, I'm glad he's come out nice and early and announced his opinion. FFS, don't backflip later. Listening to his commentary while calling our games clearly shows he likes taking a piss at our expense.

Blows me away we'd even consider him on that aspect alone.
    QLD were missing Ponga and Gillett and lost in the last 20 seconds of a decider - not sure why you are so confident he will never win again. I have moved on from thinking he is a good fit for the titans but I think he will continue to do a decent job for QLD, coach whisperer nonsense aside.

For me - Toovey is top choice but i think he is too smart to come here, he doesnt appear too desperate to coach NRL again, so Griffen is my next choice.

He is a pretty firm guy, calls it as he sees it - oversaw some broncos pathways and development as well as at storm i think - before coaching broncs reasonably well, and had penrith top four till they removed him and their title hopes in the one move.

I think he understands how a top level club should operate better then most other people we are looking at

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...87ff5ee990497d

Packed up his desk knowing what was about to happen.
    Psmitty

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Fittler talks about relocating us yesterday and what then happens?? I just heard Corey Parker’s wife and Luke Bradnam on the radio giving oxygen to having our club die.
    The fight to survive is on again.

So I ask all fans to stop the sooking and commit to the review, the process to getting a Coach and getting around the new Coach even if he’s not your choice.

And get to the game on Sunday
    Freddy can go and get fingered.

(Yes this is my first post, hi everyone)

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Freddy can go and get fingered.

(Yes this is my first post, hi everyone)
    And it’s a glorious beginning post Mr