Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Fittler needs to come to terms that the Fan/Member numbers are dropping across most the Clubs, and the code in general. If he thinks relocating a club up the road is going to improve things he'd be mistaken.

The NRL are in strife, that's clearly evident due to them being MIA at a grassroots level in the regional areas this year. The comp my lad plays in, teams are struggling to make numbers most weekends, and the area is regarded as RL heartland. And yet the AFL is increasing their participation in these regional areas.

So yeah. I doubt Fittler is seeing the bigger picture in regards to the NRL problems.
    Whilst I definitely see your point Toads and agree that numbers are dropping for league everywhere at the moment, the drop in other clubs memberships you claim isn't really true. Well not to the extent of us anyway. This time last year we had 10700 and at this point in time (and I don't see it rising) we have 7900. That is a gigantic drop whereas most clubs have had a rise or a small drop by 500-1000. We can't stick our heads in the sand and pretend that our small fanbase isn't dropping further and further every year. We are in dire straights and could have 5000 members next year if the new coach doesn't turn things around.

Add my name into the ring as a Griffin fan. He's made some very questionable decisions (e.g had Hoffman playing 5/8 for the Broncos for half a season and Hunt playing 100ish games for the Broncos off the bench) but he's experienced, is a disciplinary coach, is quite good with juniors and junior pathways and had success at Brisbane and Penrith. Can't see Toovey coming here as DB said, he's not really mentioned when coaching jobs pop up so mustn't be serious.
    Last edited by BundyTitan; 15-07-19 at 09:02 AM.

Saw Matt Rogers posted on Instagram putting his hand up to be involved with the titans, we need to get him presto prince and friend more involved with coaching and stuff to actually build a titans culture

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Saw Matt Rogers posted on Instagram putting his hand up to be involved with the titans, we need to get him presto prince and friend more involved with coaching and stuff to actually build a titans culture
    Absolutely

First Grader

The panthers were in 4th place due to them winning games in the last 15 or 20 minutes of games. Playing off the cuff footy after they deviated from hooks game plans. Rewatch some of the broncos and panthers games, i dont know how people rate hook so highly.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    QLD were missing Ponga and Gillett and lost in the last 20 seconds of a decider - not sure why you are so confident he will never win again. I have moved on from thinking he is a good fit for the titans but I think he will continue to do a decent job for QLD, coach whisperer nonsense aside.
    Game 2, Perth. Whatever Walters was doing during that prep. It would appear he didn't get his message across to the lads. We lost any momentum we built from Game 1. Walters isn't the only one to name, a few others weren't firing either.

Otherwise it wasn't a bad series. Even in the closing stages it didn't feel as if we were going to steel it. Sorry to say, the Blues were the deserving victors this year.

@BundyTitin. You're right, mate. I'm not a numbers guy. I only go by what I see in the grandstands, and over the years the numbers appear to be twindling at the bigger stadiums, club grounds still pack em to the rafters. Origin still pull the numbers, as with some Clubs, and the odd game like Cam Smith's 400th.

Melbourne fans really deserve credit. But being sports nuts it's ingrained into them to support the Storm.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by GCTTSD View Post
    Well our Head of Performance and Culture is about to hand down his findings and I would be extremely surprised if it did not include recommendations of engaging club legends in building a culture. So far it has really only been Presto. Princey is involved with the Broncos and Rogers has publicly shown support for the Sharks. That our club legends are involved with rival clubs is an absolute travesty in my opinion and the new(ish) administration should be doing everything in their power to right the wrongs of the past. Rugby league is and always has been the game of the working class, and working class men respect leaders and the legends that came before them. It inspires them to be their best so that they too can be a legend one day. Mal did this with Queensland for 10 years -- he understands leadership and culture as well as anyone, so I expect to see him engaging our legends. It's just a question of whom.

Rogers has stuck his hand up, so if we were to engage him officially, he would undoubtedly stop supporting the sharks publicly. Wasn't his son a highly touted junior half a few years ago too? Not sure what happened to him. Princey I have no idea why he's with the Broncos and not us but I would love to get him back. What is Bull Bailey up to these days? He was our foundation co-captain alongside Princey. We have Anthony Laffranchi in a corporate role, but what about Nathan Friend? He was one of the best trainers in his day and would be a fantastic mentor to have around the gym. In an ideal world, Will Zillman would have met his potential and been another club legend we could call on, but as it stands I don't think he has the necessary aura about him. Greg Bird, while a maligned figure with off field issues, is one of the best on-field leaders we have ever had, if not the best. I hope that enough water has passed under the bridge since his sacking for us to bring him back in some kind of mentoring/community role. In spite of his history, I believe him to be a thoroughly good bloke when not on the grog, and it's my understanding that he has matured quite a bit in his time in ESL. Even blokes like Brad Meyers and Luke Douglas (when he eventually retires) should be in and around the club mentoring our young blokes.

Regarding the coaching selection, my vote is for Anthony Griffin. I understand all the qualms people have with him given his sackings from the Broncos and Penrith, but his on-field record is impeccable. A 56% win record is not to be scoffed at. He is a disciplinarian, the exact opposite of Garth, which is exactly what we need right now. We don't need a nice guy; we need a guy who can knock heads and cut deadwood. Yes, he has done some boneheaded things like Hoffman at 5/8 and Hunt off the bench for several years, but also consider that the Broncos are a political nightmare and the head coach doesn't always get what he wants. We don't know what instructions he had from the board, but just look at what they're doing to Seibold right now. He has wanted to drop Darius for several weeks but hasn't been allowed to, so he's forced into playing him out of position at 5/8. Not his choice, but as head coach he will wear the blame if it goes awry. Penrith was a similar political nightmare under Gus Gould's reign, so that's why I would be willing to give Griffin another chance in the NRL. He's proven and we pretty much know what we're going to get with him, and quite frankly his strengths are exactly what we need at the moment. We aren't in a position to be choosy right now and those pushing for Bellamy are deluded. With Griffin, I believe we will hover around 6-10th on the ladder, which is a marked improvement on what we are currently getting. In a couple years time when he can cut the likes of Latu and Boyd and spend that money more wisely, he may even push us up towards top 4, just where he had Penrith when he was sacked. Right now, it's all about gradually building up respect and making the Titans a club that players want to come to. It won't happen over night.

My second choice after Griffin would be Justin Holbrook, who I had never heard of until The Mole posted about him here. I looked into his record and read up on him as a person and he sounds like a thoroughly good bloke and leader who has done some wonderful things with St. Helens. He really does sound like a top coach of the future and I'm almost willing to take a punt on him, but due to our current predicament I'm wary about taking on another cleanskin who is untested at the highest level. It could pay off and he could be the next Bellamy, but we were saying the same about Brennan when we signed him. I'm just risk averse given that our future is on the line and we have the current NSW coach calling for us to be relocated while the public is still riding the euphoric wave of the NSW series win. Unfortunately, it gives undeserved legitimacy to his vacuous words. If not Griffin, and if we are forced into chasing another untested coach other than Holbrook, I would be looking at Adam O'Brien or Jason Demetriou. I have no idea why we passed on Demetriou in favour of Brennan the first time. The only positive I can see with Brennan was his record with the juniors but he was coaching a stacked roster. Penrith has one of the strongest nurseries in the country and there is no salary cap in junior footy as far as I'm aware, so his juniors record was not a valid metric for coaching ability. If I recall correctly, Gus Gould publicly endorsed him, which wise administrators would've rightly seen as a conflict of interest and potential smokescreen to move him on from Penrith to some poor, unwitting suckers. Unfortunately, our board was not wise, though to their credit I believe it was far from unanimous, with a 2-2 split with Bec casting the deciding vote in favour of Brennan. I hope Mal's review has looked into this and considered the reasons why the two board members were against hiring him. There would be a lot to learn from that.

Finally, to close out this post that turned into a bit of a novel (sorry for the brain dump -- have just had some thoughts pent up for a while now), what I absolutely don't want us to do is go grovelling to Kevin Walters. While I believe he would be the man to get our Million Dollar Baby Ash Taylor playing to his potential, he has already made it clear publicly that he doesn't want the job, so what message would it send to the world if we were to beg him to come? Nobody respects desperation, and in rugby league, respect is everything.

Rep Player

Oh, one other point in favor of Griffin that I forgot to make: from memory, he and Peachey didn’t get along, so hopefully hiring Griffin would be the final shove to make him take that pay cut and piss off back to Penrith.

Also, Carty and Latu played their best footy under Griffin. I believe that if we are ever to see the best of Latu, it will only come under a disciplinarian like Griffin (why oh why did we not sign Madge when we had the chance).

Dear Me,

Gold Coast Titans Executive Chairman Dennis Watt says the Club has been impressed by the calibre of candidates put forward for the role of Titans Head Coach for the 2020 season.

Watt said a thorough process to find a new Head Coach had already begun, but the Titans would take a measured approach to the appointment to ensure the successful candidate is the right fit for the Club.

“While the past few weeks have been disappointing for our organisation, the Titans are looking forward with a strong sense of optimism, particularly given the outstanding credentials of the candidates who have been put forward for the role of Head Coach,” Watt said.

“This is obviously a critical decision for the Club’s immediate future, and one that will not be rushed, nor taken lightly.

“However, the quality of the candidates so far shows that the wider rugby league community shares our view that the Titans have enormous potential to become a powerhouse in the NRL, with our junior development pathways and ongoing community support.”

Watt reconfirmed that Titans Assistant Coaches Craig Hodges and Luke Burt would take over the running of the NRL squad as interim Head Coaches for the remainder of the 2019 season.

Titans Head of Performance and Culture Mal Meninga will provide greater hands-on assistance and guidance to the interim coaches where required.

“We are indeed very fortunate with the quality of coaches that we currently have available at the Club to ensure we finish this season as positively and successfully as we can,” Watt said.

“Craig and Luke will take over the day-to-day running of the NRL squad, but we are in the enviable position of being able to call on the knowledge and experience of a rugby league Immortal and current Australian coach in Mal to help us through this period.

“The Titans are determined to begin building for the future. We are committed to making this club successful for the people of the Gold Coast, and for the NRL.

“The first step in that process is to finish this season strongly on the field to create a platform for our new Head Coach to build upon.”

END

Where the **** is our CEO?

What's everyone's thoughts on Walters and his media statements? Part of me hates him and doesn't want him at the club because of what he's said in the media and whenever he commentated our games but I kind of feel like he's just saying what he has to say to the media to keep them off his back. It seems like he's the one the club wants but I just hope we really go through a process and look at guys like holbrook, O'Brien, demetriou and co. I don't think Garth Brennan should stop us from hiring another rookie coach, we just need to go through a process to make sure the new coach can be a disciplinarian, is smart tactically and doesn't just say all the right bull**** things like Brennan did.

From the short interview Walters did on Fox yesterday, I'd say he's nearly a 0% chance of coming here. He didn't seem interested at all and basically ruled himself out for the job. I don't think he'd say what he did if there was even a chance he was coming here.

Just curious why the name Tim Sheens isn't getting much of a mention here.
    Surely he would be the most experienced and credentialed of any of the serious contenders?

Those who want Walters just ask yourself this one question. Why is it that Badel is pushing the Walters to Titans barrow so hard?
    It is universally acknowledged that Badel doesn't like us and he is the one constantly pushing out the Walters story. Part of the master plan to solidify the Bronco's hold on the coast juniors maybe?

If the story is true that the club is actively courting him then they should also be asking Bellamy as well. They are both under contracts elsewhere so technically off limits but what's a contract these days.

The club needs a coach that the players know is in charge. If Bellamy says to anyone they aren't cutting it the club is going to listen to him and not the player unlike what has happened with the last 2 coaches we have had. We missed out because we were impatient last time so lets make sure we explore every avenue to see if he is genuinely interested.

Some interesting quotes from Dennis Watt in this article.

Last hope: Titans fear for NRL future, will splurge on new coach
    Titans

July 15, 2019 1:05pm
    Pamela Whaley

@pamelawhaley
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Titans executive chairman Dennis Watt admits the decision to appoint a new coach is crucial to save the struggling club’s future in the NRL.
    Speaking the day after sacking head coach Garth Brennan after just four wins in 2019, Watt said the Gold Coast is staring at the most pivotal moment in club history.
    The NRL sold the Titans to Rebecca Frizelle and Darryl Kelly at the end of 2017 and have said they will not bail out the club should the franchise fail.
    And with the topic of expansion or relocation on the radar, Watt is under no illusions as to the danger the Titans are in after 13 years on the Gold Coast with no success

“Essentially the NRL have said that [they won’t bail the club out],” Watt said.

“The NRL did stand in as owners for three years here to ensure this club had a life. They were very, very careful to ensure that they placed it safe and sustainable hands in the Kellys and the Frizelles.

“We’re in no doubt that this is it. This is the last stand. We have to get it right. There are plenty of other people banging on the door who would probably like to launch teams elsewhere.”
    In recent years the NRL have attempted to create a footprint in Perth, while the idea of a second Brisbane or New Zealand team have also been floated.
    The Titans, who are yet to win a premiership and have played finals football just three times in 13 seasons — their highest finish in 2010 when they made the preliminary final opposite the Roosters — are at a crossroads.
    Watt said the club will spare no expense in getting an NRL experienced coach to the Gold Coast to rescue their future.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters has ruled himself out of contention for the role, and Watt confirmed head of performance and culture Mal Meninga is ‘no chance’ to take over as head coach.
    “If Kevvy put his hand up to be in the running he’d be a very strong candidate. He’s a strong character and they way he’s led his life is quite inspirational,” Watt said.
    “If Kevvy was willing and available to put his hand up he’d he strongly considered.”
    However, he said there have been several candidates make their interest known.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Watt said the club will spare no expense in getting an NRL experienced coach to the Gold Coast to rescue their future.
    Bellamy.

QLD Cup

I like the fact that we are prepare to spare no expense on a coach for once.