Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Hook any one ???
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

First Grader

Hook would be good as he doesn’t suffer fools and has a good coaching record of 55 per cent winning overall and had a 58 per cent wining rate at Penrith who have gone downhill fast since he left.
    He would the right person to the rocket up our princesss in the team

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Hook any one ???
    ^^ Get Hook, drop Proctor (past his used by date), drop Taylor (for obvious reasons), move Jacks to 7, go after Watene-Zelezniak (high hopes this one I know, but he'd be a great addition to our back line, and Penrith would have be paying a bit of his bill)
    Last edited by Dobes; 23-05-19 at 10:37 PM.

Hook was the guy who started the Josh Hoffman to 5/8 experiment before Henry did the same and partnered him with mortimer. I know we're pretty bad under Garth but I think people are forgetting why both of them are not still coaching.
    Anthony Griffen teams are usually very fit and he does have a good track record for promoting juniors but that's where it ends.
    He can't man manage or develop an effective attack structure. This showed in both of his stints with the Broncos and Panthers. He couldn't do anything of note as coach despite being handed the keys to a star studded Brisbane team. With Penrith, they struggled last year with his game plan until they discarded it in the last 10 minutes of the game. The difference this year is Ivan Cleary hasn't got them in shape and his word doesn't mean much anymore after what he did to the Tigers.

Although I don't think Hook is the best option he's better than most and definitely better than what we currently have. Come to think of it, if we sign him both Peachy and Cartwright will leave. I am warming to the idea I must admit.
    Last edited by The Mole; 23-05-19 at 11:18 PM.

No to Hook and No to Henry.

The guy I'd go for without doubt would be Justin Holbrook, the current coach of St.Helens who was previously an assistant coach under Trent Robinson as well coaching junior NSW and AUS teams. Prior to coaching them, the Saints under Keiron Cunningham were unbelievably mediocre. Very similar to us; signing has beens, very robotic and one dimensional attack, not holding players accountable because of having a pal relationship with his favourites. Sounds familiar?

That all changed when Holbrook was appointed. He got rid of a lot of deadwood, changed the structure/attack to a more modern NRL style as well making positional changes for some of their players. The attack revolved around the player's strengths rather than just block play either side. A lot of people thought St.Helens fantastic attack was solely due to Ben Barba. Even without Barba this year they're still the best attacking team in the competition. They're topping the ladder, six points clear from second I believe.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they won some silverware at the end of the year.

The fact he has experience in running a top flight team and has a successful win percentage is why I'd have him ahead of the two other rookie coaches who I highly rate as well in Adam O'Brien and Jason Demetriou(who was my choice last time but I don't blame the club for hiring Brennan despite the red flags). I think our next coach must have been successful in either the NRL or Super league. Compare him to the other Aussie coaches in charge of big super league clubs Adrian Lam-Wigan 8th/12 and Furner(sacked)Leeds 10th/12 then it's pretty evident in his coaching abilities.

Justin Holbrook is currently off contract and is in the middle negotiating an extension with St.Helens as well having his name thrown up for possible NRL head coach gigs. He is our guy should we want to move forward in 2020.

Here's an article when he was appointed coach for St.Helens:
    St Helens confirm surprise appointment of Justin Holbrook as head coach
    This article is more than 2 years old

• Sydney Roosters assistant joins club on two-and-a-half year deal
    • Australian Holbrook replaces sacked Keiron Cunningham

Aaron Bower and Guardian sport

Thu 4 May 2017 22.44 AEST
    First published on Wed 3 May 2017 21.38 AEST

Shares
    St Helens
    St Helens beat Leigh 28-6 on Friday but are mid-table and hoping to turn their season around. Photograph: Carl Recine/Reuters

St Helens have confirmed the appointment of Justin Holbrook as their new head coach on a two-and-a-half year contract.

The Saints have been looking for a coach since the departure of Keiron Cunningham last month. A three-man coaching team of Derek Traynor, Jamahl Lolesi and the former Great Britain half-back Sean Long had been in temporary charge.

The club had suggested they were in no rush to replace Cunningham, even saying Traynor, Lolesi and Long could remain in charge for the rest of the season. However, as exclusively revealed in The Guardian on Thursday, the former Super League champions settled on Holbrook after being impressed at a recent interview.

The Saints chief executive, Mike Rush, had travelled to Australia to source candidates, with Holbrook placed on a shortlist alongside the former Salford coach John Cartwright and the former Wigan and Leeds forward David Furner.
    Rugby league rallies round to create defibrillator legacy for Danny Jones
    Read more

“We are delighted to secure Justin; he is widely experienced and has a track record of coaching at the highest level,” Mike Rush, the club’s chief executive, told the club’s website.

“He impressed us with his knowledge of the British game and his work with younger players,” Rush added.

“I’m excited about the opportunity to be the head coach of St Helens. The club has a rich and proud history and I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity,” Holbrook said.

“St Helens are one of the top teams in the Super League competition with a history of success. I will be working hard to continue that tradition and I cannot wait to get started.”

Holbrook will be a largely unfamiliar name in this country. He has worked at NRL sides Canterbury, St George and Parramatta before becoming assistant to the former Catalans coach, Trent Robinson, at Sydney Roosters.

The 41-year-old also coaches the Junior Kangaroos, the Australia Under-20s side. The Junior Kangaroos play their New Zealand counterparts on Friday; it is unclear whether Holbrook will remain in Australia for that match, but he is expected to travel to the UK “as soon as possible”.

Holbrook becomes the latest in a line of NRL assistants to take coaching roles in Super League; examples include Robinson himself, as well as the former Wigan coach Michael Maguire, who was an assistant at Melbourne Storm before joining the Warriors in 2010, when he led Wigan to the Super League title during his first season in charge.

Holbrook’s immediate objective will be to steer St Helens away from a battle to avoid the bottom four and the Qualifiers. The Saints are seventh, only two points ahead of ninth-placed Warrington: who they play on Friday at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.
    Here's is also a thread about him on their forum:
    http://forums.redvee.net/showthread....k-new-contract

Sorry for the long post but I don't post often and I had to get my 2 cents in.
    Last edited by The Mole; 23-05-19 at 11:30 PM.

Is Kevin Walters still a shot? Or is he waiting for the fall out at the Broncos to take place?
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader

Please no to kevin walters. This holbrook sounds alright though. Probably get him cheap if he wants a crack at nrl

Holbrook sounds like exactly the kind of bloke we should be chasing. Clearly well respected, he’s had success in the Super League, which (in conjunction with the roles he has had in NRL teams before) would give him knowledge and the ability to translate his success to the NRL, and he wouldn’t be on the highest pay packet. Given that we’re never in the best position to chase the more expensive coaches, I think the bloke is a no brainer to be honest.
    Last edited by Dobes; 26-05-19 at 04:10 PM.

Tim Sheens leaving super league

What are the Walker Brothers up to these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    What are the Walker Brothers up to these days?
    struggling in ISC

huge no

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    struggling in ISC

huge no
    HS what do you think of #anointJimmy ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    struggling in ISC

huge no
    Fair enough. Just as long as we're factoring in that there's not a lot of options once again.

In the meantime, now might be a good time for Meninga to get down on the training paddock a couple of times a week (if not doing so already). I understand his got the Aussie Squad gig these days, but surely he can find a few hours in his schedule each week to contrive something better than what we got at the moment.

As it would appear by last weeks game Brennan may not be to far away from being in a similar position as Henry found himself in his later stages with the club.

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    Tim Sheens leaving super league
    I'd be happy enough with him, could do a lot worse

Rumours flying around Kevin Walters to replace Garth after Origin