Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 ... LastLast

I know it's unlikely but I'm praying we can sign him for just 2 years or 3 with the last in our favour, so that we can have a good crack at Bellamy or Bennet.

Interestingly Badel had this to say about an hour ago :
    Update on titans job. Justin holbrook hasn’t withdrawn. Titans have contacted him and will make a final call on coach next week. Kevin Walters not approached yet but doesn’t mean that he won’t be in coming days

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Dooldog76 View Post
    How much coaching do you really need to do in an origin team? They a re all at the top of their game. I'm really suspect on his appointment if it happens.
    Exactly. People really need to think about every aspect here that we require to get this club to where is needs to be.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if you have a current job with another employer, you can't just come out in the media and say "yeah I'm looking at the Titans job and want it". That would possibly be a breach of contract and the best way to piss off your current employer (especially if he doesn't get the job). Plus I don't buy the apparent "Broncos love", yes he's had a history and past with them but they've turned on him enough times that I think he would love to stick it to them. Plus they aren't getting rid of Seibold for a long long time.
    That’s a fair point. I didn’t consider that.

Immortal

Mal Meninga just said on NRL 360 that we have not spoken to Kevin Walters.

To each his own but I am lucky enough to have met Mal on multiple occasions, so I will take him at his word.

I stress I have absolutely no inside information, but believe Mal unreservedly.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    Mal Meninga just said on NRL 360 that we have not spoken to Kevin Walters.

To each his own but I am lucky enough to have met Mal on multiple occasions, so I will take him at his word.

I stress I have absolutely no inside information, but believe Mal unreservedly.
    A rule in life that has served me well....when in doubt answer “NO”.

I'm firmly in the No camp to Walters. Or any Brisbane reject. When on the edge of a cliff it's an idea to move away from it.
    Of stated parties it has to be Holbrook. Still reckon though that if the money was available as they have said, throw it all at Bellamy and/or Smith.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco Bill View Post
    You guys would be so lucky to have Kevy. May as well hire Justin Hodges to be his assistant coach and Ribot for CEO. Walters has been in and out our coaching staff for many years. Poor guy got sacked by Wayne first time around in 05. We won the comp the following year. Good times. He tried his hand at coaching in France... unfortunately it wasn't a success. He came back and tried coaching QLD after having missed at coaching gigs including the Tigers, Raiders and ours twice haha.... and welll you know how the story goes. But I have no doubt that this is his moment. I really think he best suits your club as a coach. I love Kevy and everything he has done for our proud club and I would take him back in any capacity bar Head Coach in a heartbeat.
    For a group of people that hate us you sure seem desperate to try to emulate us. Your stadium is a copy of ours, you pilfer our juniors, your colour scheme is basically an inverse of ours (blue & gold instead of maroon and gold real original guys) and you love our club royalty like Gordy among many to associate with you in any fashion. Gordy was probably the one who knocked back Wayne, lining up the HC job for Walters. I don't blame you guys honestly. You desperately need an identity to forge some culture that creates a club you can be proud of. It only seems natural that you are to trying to emulate us. The Broncos are the pride of the league, a club for not just for the beautiful people of Brisbane but the whole of QLD. However should you fail with both Walters and Meninga at the helm then I can only imagine the news headlines, "Not even two Origin coaches could save the Titans who have succumbed to the GC sporting graveyard". The fallout and negative press that would ensue would make it quite difficult to present the club as viable to future prospect buyers.....
    Nothing to worry about I'm sure lads.

It really warms my heart to see our greats have employment opportunities lined up post footy. I should thank you guys, your club has really looked after them and their financial future. Your club is the gift that keeps on giving, may you never change.
    Hi Peter

Rep Player

Don’t feed the troll Bods

When I was galloping around for the Wests Panthers, when that actually meant something, I dreamt of having a Queensland club to potentially play for or at least support. When Stupid League raised its ugly head I was embarrassed to be a Queenslander in the face of what Bennett, Ribot, Meninga and Co did. The one redeeming factor has been the resilience of the Gold Coast community to keep a presence of the NRL on the Coast. We may not win so much but at least we are not the bullying bunch of self-gratifying sycophants that the Broncos have become.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Anyone else think it a bit sus that Chris Johns is campaigning for Kevvie to get the job? Wasn't Johns one of the ones agitating for the Titans to be relocated to Brisbane as a second team?

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...285b46cd914dd0

The Titans will unveil their new coach next week with Wayne Bennett and Broncos legend Chris Johns declaring Maroons mentor Kevin Walters is capable of rebuilding the struggling Gold Coast.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Gold Coast hierarchy are in the final stages of appointing Garth Brennan’s successor with the Titans expected to make a formal announcement on Monday or Tuesday.

Titans culture-and-performance chief Mal Meninga has drawn up a select hit-list which contains St Helens coach Justin Holbrook, who has been formally interviewed in recent days.

Despite speculation on Thursday night Holbrook had withdrawn from the race, the Saints mentor remains interested in succeeding Brennan and is awaiting a final answer from the Titans.

Ipswich co-coaches Ben and Shane Walker are unlikely to get the nod, with Holbrook, Sydney Roosters’ Craig Fitzgibbon and former Broncos and Penrith coach Anthony Griffin among the frontline contenders.

But there is a concerted push for Walters to spearhead Gold Coast’s resurrection.

Walters has consistently maintained he will not apply for the Titans position, leaving Gold Coast powerbrokers to decide whether they will headhunt the Queensland Origin coach as their No.1 target.

Walters served three stints at Brisbane as an assistant to Bennett, helping the Broncos to the 2015 grand final.

Bennett, who lobbied for Walters to coach the Maroons, believes the 51-year-old can bring success to the Titans but says he should not have to go through the interview process that saw him miss out on the Broncos job last year.

“Kevvie would do a good job,” Bennett said.

“There’s a couple of coaches who would do a good job at the Titans, but if I was Kevin, I wouldn’t go through an interview process.

“I won’t tell the Titans what kind of coach they need, that’s their choice, but what I will say is you don’t need a series of interviews again. They did that last time.

“As a coach, I don’t believe in interview processes. The Titans should just identify who they want and get him.

“I’ve never done an interview in my life. The Broncos and Dragons both knew what they wanted, they decided they wanted me and they made it happen.

“I didn’t do an interview to come to South Sydney. The good clubs know what they want, they tell the board who they are getting and they get the job done.

“What Kevin offers is four years coaching Origin and he has won premierships as a player.

“If Kevvie is the best man for the job in their eyes, forget the interviews and just go and get him.”

Former Broncos centre and ex-Storm CEO Johns urged the Titans to sign Walters.

“They keep throwing up all these names but clearly Kevvie is the best person for the Titans job,” he said.

“Kevvie is ready for the NRL. He is one of the most dynamic coaches in the game at the moment, he is passionate, he knows how to treat men and he knows how to get players to play for each other and for him.

“If the Titans want him, the onus should be on them to chase him. The days are gone where Kevvie has to apply for a job, he has proven himself with the Queensland team."

Best part of that article is that Holbrook has been interviewed and is still interested. For Bennett to say that he wouldn't do an interview makes perfect sense for someone of his caliber. Walters isn't even in the same ballpark.

Rep Player

Yeah, Kevvie is nowhere near the level of Bennett. It's just a ridiculous suggestion and it makes us look desperate to go chasing after him like a horny teenager.

Putting my conspiracy hat on for a sec, what if Johns, Walters and Bennett are conspiring to setup a second Brisbane team and are using us as a stepping stone?

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Yeah, Kevvie is nowhere near the level of Bennett. It's just a ridiculous suggestion and it makes us look desperate to go chasing after him like a horny teenager.

Putting my conspiracy hat on for a sec, what if Johns, Walters and Bennett are conspiring to setup a second Brisbane team and are using us as a stepping stone?
    That was my first thought when i read the article. I honestly want nothing to do with kevy the more this carries on.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    That was my first thought when i read the article. I honestly want nothing to do with kevy the more this carries on.
    I never wanted anything to do with him. He just does nothing to make me believe that he could coach a club side week in week out.

One of the things a lot of people don't realise about the super league is that the head coach is also the person who runs the footy dept, hires and fires the players and runs the whole show.
    Kev took a team that was in the finals and anchored then to the bottom of the ladder and Holbrook has done the complete opposite.
    Neither have any other head coaching experience in the week to week grind of a top competition so based on that Holbrook has more runs on the board in my opinion.
    As for the Qld job, I think Justin Hodges could have done a better job than Walters.

- - - Updated - - -

Add in the fact that Walters has been moved on from every one of his assistant positions and has been consistently overlooked in the past and wasn't even the first choice for Qld speaks volumes to me.