Page 44 of 58 FirstFirst ... 34 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 54 ... LastLast

Wish we would sign Toovey as new coach so we can start making roster changes for next year. We are in desperate need for a great second rower. No to turner and Glenn, they offer no impact whatsoever. I’d target names such as Barnett, Sironen or Butcher. All are young and offer us a lot in both attack and defence. Release Latu, T.Roberts, Jacks and Copley.

Just another case of getting jobs for your mates. Mal must be pushing Kevvie down every ones throat.

First Grader

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Walters

For anyone that wants to read about his past coaching its on there.

Just seems risky to risk the clubs future on a bloke that hasnt rebuilt a club. Unsure what happened at catalans except what it mentions on the wiki page

Old article

Kevin Walters to leave Catalans Dragons and return to Australia

Catalans Dragons have become the fourth Super League club in the market for a new coach for next season, after the club confirmed that Kevin Walters will return to Australia at the end of this year.

Walters has told the players and the Dragons chairman, Bernard Guasch, that he would not be taking up the option of staying in Perpignan for a third year, the French club said last night.

It is no great surprise, as the Catalans are bottom of the Super League table and Walters has failed to maintain the momentum developed by his predecessor in Perpignan, Mick Potter.

However the timing is strange, coming days before a Challenge Cup quarter-final at Batley that offers the Dragons the last chance of salvaging a disappointing season. Bradford, St Helens and Huddersfield are already looking for new coaches for next year to replace Steve McNamara, Mick Potter and Nathan Brown respectively.

Interesting read. My concern with Walters is, if he couldn't even continue the momentum at a club that was not seemingly struggling like we are, how is he going to go coaching our club?

First Grader

Yes full time coaching is very different to representative coaching. We need someone who has a proven track record at club level. Walters doesn’t pass that test

Brent Read

Whispers about Kevin Walters and Titans getting stronger by the second. Some suggestions now Justin Holbrook has got wind of it and withdrawn from the race. Yet to be confirmed but things are moving quickly. Stay tuned

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    Yes full time coaching is very different to representative coaching. We need someone who has a proven track record at club level. Walters doesn’t pass that test
    Exactly! He is a rookie coach with no runs on the board. His only full time coaching gig was a failure and coaching QLD and being an assistant to great coaches doesn't mean he will be great.

Could work out really good but it is very risky.
    Psmitty

First Grader

If our club selects walters over a proven coach itll be the final nail in the coffin.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    If our club selects walters over a proven coach itll be the final nail in the coffin.
    Yep, I try to be optimistic but I think Walters would be a dreadful decision, especially given the lack of respect he has shown us in the media. This just makes us appear desperate. I hope Mal and co. know what they're doing. I really want Holbrook and I think this will come back to bite us in the bum.

QLD Cup

All this media speculation can't actually be true surely. I said it way back in this thread somewhere, if we say yes to Walters now and the Broncos start struggling in the future, we leave ourselves vulnerable to him walking out and taking that job. We don't need to take that risk. He is Broncos through and through, everyone knows it, so look elsewhere.

What I am not liking from the club at the moment is Watts came out and said that they were going to take their time, follow the procedure and be transparent with the fans about selecting a new coach. So far we haven't seen anything like that.

Whilst I'm unsure about Kevvie, I'm willing to give it a chance and trust our board one last time. The more I think of it, are any coaches really a standout?:

Toovey - good disciplinarian but took over an already established + finals definite Manly team

Hook - sacked from two clubs and a lot of his wins came from the team being behind and the players throwing the gameplan out the window in the final 15 mins

Sheens - getting a bit long in the tooth

O'Brien, Fitzgibbon etc - a big no to young rookie coaches. Rebuilding a club should not be their first head coach role as look how that went for Brennan

Holbrook - had success in the super league but that doesn't mean much really. Probably would have been a good choice but must be a reason if the club doesn't choose him

Not saying Kevvie is the perfect choice or best option but I guess there's nothing we can do about it and I'm willing to give it a chance. We could definitely do a lot worse. We will soon see how it all turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    All this media speculation can't actually be true surely. I said it way back in this thread somewhere, if we say yes to Walters now and the Broncos start struggling in the future, we leave ourselves vulnerable to him walking out and taking that job. We don't need to take that risk. He is Broncos through and through, everyone knows it, so look elsewhere.

What I am not liking from the club at the moment is Watts came out and said that they were going to take their time, follow the procedure and be transparent with the fans about selecting a new coach. So far we haven't seen anything like that.
    Club always says this. Never follows through. Kevvie for coach is a see you later from me. After that I'll be death riding the club.

QLD Cup

I think I'd actually prefer the Walker Bros over Kevvie. Purely for the what-if factor. It would be so refreshing to see some new thinking in the NRL rather than the same old same old. One of the things that puts me off the thought though is that they said they would keep the same roster and get the results out of them. Stuff that! I want fresh faces, not these mediocre players that have consistently let us down for the last two years.

I'm warming to Holbrook

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I think I'd actually prefer the Walker Bros over Kevvie. Purely for the what-if factor. It would be so refreshing to see some new thinking in the NRL rather than the same old same old. One of the things that puts me off the thought though is that they said they would keep the same roster and get the results out of them. Stuff that! I want fresh faces, not these mediocre players that have consistently let us down for the last two years.

I'm warming to Holbrook
    Big no for me to Walker brothers. They would be found out so quickly and opposition coaches would know their tactics within weeks. From memory they won the 1 comp with Ipswich back in 2015 but ever since they have been around mid-low table and haven't been as dangerous. The philosophy of "throw the ball around" and "don't care about errors or completion rates" might work in reserve grade but not first grade. Plus we drop the ball enough as it is...

Holbrook is a good shout for me too but again he's unproven as well. Oh well let's see if this Kevvie talk is on the money or just more media spin.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by BundyTitan View Post
    Brent Read

Whispers about Kevin Walters and Titans getting stronger by the second. Some suggestions now Justin Holbrook has got wind of it and withdrawn from the race. Yet to be confirmed but things are moving quickly. Stay tuned
    ‪I hope these media pack people aren’t scaring off candidates with this speculation. That would be quite damaging to us. ‬