Page 15 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    Inactive User

Question-are there any contributors to the forum that doesn’t think Brennan should be sacked??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Question-are there any contributors to the forum that doesn’t think Brennan should be sacked??
    Depends on the alternative. Haven't heard of anyone that would be an improvement.

I will say the same thing I did when the noise was deafening over Henry. There are no standout options to replace him in my opinion so as far as I am concerned we have to live with him.
    Everyone wanted Henry gone NOW and it cost us a shot at Bellamy.
    I would rather the club takes its time and does everything that they can to get the best possible replacement rather than a knee jerk appointment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Depends on the alternative. Haven't heard of anyone that would be an improvement.

Agree 100%

- - - Updated - - -

Of all the names thrown up so far the only one that piques my interest is Sheens. He has a long history of success but can he still relate to today’s players would be my concern.
    For the club to firstly survive and more importantly thrive we need a strong coach that the players respect and to a degree fear.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    I will say the same thing I did when the noise was deafening over Henry. There are no standout options to replace him in my opinion so as far as I am concerned we have to live with him.
    Everyone wanted Henry gone NOW and it cost us a shot at Bellamy.
    I would rather the club takes its time and does everything that they can to get the best possible replacement rather than a knee jerk appointment.

- - - Updated - - -
    Agree that we shouldn't make a knee jerk appointment and there don't seem any standouts, although I have come around a bit to Walters as I think he'd work well with Mal. I was one of the last to want Henry gone as I thought he was being screwed over by Hayne and in hindsight I wish I had stayed on the keep Henry group. Even with Henry he never made some of the clanger calls that Brennan has made such as the bench players and rotations, team selection, hopeless recruitment, not dropping non performers etc etc. I really don't think anyone would do much worse but I think we need to sign someone for no more than the rest of this year and two seasons tops after that.
    I still can't believe a decision was taken to extend Brennan before this season started. That's the real clanger in all of this.

It was hard for me to say at the time as I never wanted Henry in the first place but at the time there wasn’t any standout options.

Junior

For mine, Henry has neever been afforded the opportunity to see the fruits of his work flourish.
    He has been thrust in to jobs with ****ty rosters, given the job of rebuilding and then, when he looks like he might have all the pieces of the puzzle in place , gets punted. No one can deny that he had the Titans on the improve, with a building roster when he was publicly overruled about the signing of Hayne, which went on to cost us , Bird, Mead and a couple of promising up and comers.
    That said, is he the right man now, not sure.
    Is he better than Brennan, depends on if we are prepared to give him enough time to undo the mess we are in.

Garth Brennan wants more time to rebuild Gold Coast as sacking speculation mounts

Besieged Garth Brennan says rebuilding the Gold Coast is not a “short-term fix” and has appealed for club bosses to support him as he fights to save his job at the struggling Titans.

Brennan is in danger of becoming the first NRL coach sacked this season with the Titans mentor buffeted by mounting speculation he is a dead-man walking ahead of Sunday’s derby against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

Rated a genuine finals team this season, the Titans run out today on the verge of crisis. They are equal last with Canterbury and have been rocked by the loss of their star playmaker Ash Taylor, who took indefinite leave from the NRL on Friday to address some mental-health problems.

Under Brennan, the Titans have won just 11 of 36 games for a dismal success rate of 30.5 per cent. There is also persistent speculation Taylor has fallen out with Brennan, innuendo the coach has strongly rejected.

The Titans finished 14th in 2018 in Brennan’s rookie year as an NRL coach and if the Gold Coast finish in the bottom four this season, the club board will come under pressure to sack the 47-year-old.

But Brennan insists he has not lost faith in the ability that netted three lower-grade titles at former club Penrith and is adamant he can bring success to the Titans.

“I believe I can get the job done,” Brennan told The Sunday Mail ahead of the showdown with the Broncos.

“I have not lost faith in my ability.

“If the powers-that-be think otherwise, well ... that’s out of my control.

“When I got here, I said I wanted to future-proof the Titans so that they were a long-term success and a not looking for a short-term fix.

“If the club decides I’m not the best person to take this club forward, that’s their choice, but I’m doing things in the best way I feel needs to be done to bring long-term success to the Titans.”

Under Brennan’s original deal, he had a two-year contract with an option for a third year in 2020 in the club’s favour

The third season was contingent upon Brennan making the playoffs this season.

But Titans bosses took the bizarre step of waiving that top-eight performance clause and activating a 12-month extension for Brennan last November, despite the Gold Coast finishing third-last in his maiden campaign.

That means the Titans board faces the prospect of a payout if they are forced to sever ties with Brennan this year.

While the Titans’ on-field performances have been below par, Brennan argues there are other factors to consider, including the development structures he has implemented.

“At the end of the day, there is more to success than just results,” he said.

“I was employed to help this club be a development club.

“We don’t have the money or resources to be a recruitment club, we can’t buy a competition and expect a quick fix.

“I came here with a plan to develop this club and development requires a longer-term view.

“In the time I have been here, Jai Arrow came here from the Broncos as a bench player and is now a State of Origin player.

“I have brought through AJ Brimson, Mo Fotuaika, Jai Whitbread and Jesse Arthars, there’s a lot of good kids who have come through in the last 18 months are now part of our first grade squad.

“That’s part of what I was brought here to do.

“I’m focusing on development and I think we have had success there.”

Last month, Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly told The Sunday Mail he expected Brennan to “do his job”, a directive which came just 24 hours before culture boss Mal Meninga was asked to perform a full review of the football department.

Meninga is expected to deliver his full report to the Titans board within four to eight weeks.

Asked if expects to be sacked, Brennan was pragmatic.

“I understand it’s a results-driven business,” he said. “What Darryl Kelly said about me recently is 100 per cent right. I get that. But it’s not about a short-term fix.

“I would like some time. I have come here with a plan. I’m trying to have locally-grown players playing for the Titans. It takes time. It won’t happen overnight. We’ve had success stories and as far as I’m concerned we’ve made some inroads.

“I’m holding up alright. I have a job to do and that’s what I’m focusing on. The rest of it is out of my control. I can’t worry what people think of me or what people are saying, what is going on behind the scenes I don’t know.

“I am doing my job and doing it the best I can."
    Last edited by Dobes; 08-06-19 at 05:49 PM.

Inactive User

^^^^ see ya later Garth. Done a woeful job.

Quote Originally Posted by ja4220 View Post
    To be fair, I thought Henry did really well.
    He took us to the finals, and let’s be serious who knows how deep we could have gone of the Hayne plane hadn’t landed.
    He was building a squad, which has shown potential. Let’s just say his recruits are showing more than Brennan’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I am still ok with Brennan. I think resilience is the key., from both the staff and of us as fans. He has developed a squad that is I believe a top eight team, now he has to develop not only their skills and belief but his own as well. He is 16 months into first grade coaching and he is getting a handle on the pressure himself.
    When you look at the big picture, we have had disruptions with our halves this year as well as massive expectations to perform. Maybe they aren't as good as we thought.. yet. Yes Brennan should have dropped Taylor earlier, we can see that, however when you look at our performances we have not been shamelessly flogged. We are missing leadership and I understand the coach is responsible for that but it also comes down to culture. Brennan and making a are trying to build that. Creating a culture takes time and perseverance. If things got difficult and everyone just walked away or sacked people we would get nowhere. There is no easy or technical fix to this solution. It is an adaptive challenge which they are working on. I honestly think we should stick with him until the end of the year and review it from there. I realise it's not a popular point of view, but I think considering the circumstances he deserves that. Just my point of view.

Inactive User

I’ll say it again for the hundredth time. I was so wrong calling for Henry’s head and then wanting Brennan.
    History now shows King Henry was spot on.

Not sure if this had been mentioned but why don't we get SHANE Flanagan? (yes he may be deregistered but he'll be back).
    And lets bring his son with him.

Sorry Ravs but it’s a big no from me.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sorry Ravs but it’s a big no from me.
    Consider yourself lucky RVS
    You should have seen the dressing down Titanic gave me when I floated the idea
    I was despatched

Not looking for a dressing down Titanic but why?