Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast
    QLD Cup

The report is due very shortly it won't be until the season is over until he does something. I understand where you are coming from JB but our culture has been spiralling downhill for years. Mal has to get a read on the situation before he can do anything and I just think it is unrealistic that he can be expected to turn that around within 6 months, especially when he was very clear about how he was just observing for the first few months. I share your frustration but I feel like it is going to take many seasons to get our culture heading in the right direction and I for one am not ready to throw Mal under the bus because there has been immediate success. Especially with his proven track record.

Unfortunately when looking at the full picture I think that is pretty obvious that we all (by that I mean most people on this forum and the majority of the board) got fooled into a false sense of hope by thinking it was a good idea to hire a rookie coach whose only success has come from the lower grades. I think the club has done everything possible to support Brennan. He has got the roster that he wanted and hasn't delivered on his promises. At the start of the season he came out and said that he feels like he took on too many roles and didn't spend enough time focusing on his coaching, so this year his only job has been to coach. I think that is why Mal has been allowing Brennan to front the coaching load, so he could have full control of coaching and deliver on those promises. The club even gave him an extension for no apparent reason just to show him some good will and faith. But nothing has changed and performances have somehow got worse.

I'll be on your side JB if the report comes back and it doesn't have any hard truths in it. I agree that now is the time for Mal to start earning his pay check and anything short of the top eight next year is a complete failure. But I'm not ready to throw Mal under the bus with Brennan just because Brennan has failed at coaching

The hard truths are what I'm after too. I'm just saying that it should be an independent review. Not throwing Mal under a bus, just don't think he should be part of a review that he needs to answer for too.

Most people on the Business side of things need about 6-12 months to settle into a role and start to gain traction towards the end of the 6 months. From the 6-12 month period is when you would expect the individual to implement change and make some hard calls if need be. The review came sooner than I thought. I was thinking that it would have been started now to be finished for the end of season review with the playing roster however results on the field along with poor membership numbers forced the owners hand. If anything it would be hard for Mal to not want to influence the coaching as he is the Australian coach and by the results he looks to have no influence over Brennan ( as Brennan probably wanted ) . In saying that it may have been that Mal may have had given advise to Brennan and it fell on def ears.....who knows ???? Anyhow just thoughts....
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

QLD Cup

I just don't think he has a lot to answer for just yet that's all JB. We pay him to be the Head of Performance and Culture and I'd expect anybody in this position to do a review of existing practices before executing changes. Why would we pay somebody from outside the club to do something that he can do

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    I just don't think he has a lot to answer for just yet that's all JB. We pay him to be the Head of Performance and Culture and I'd expect anybody in this position to do a review of existing practices before executing changes. Why would we pay somebody from outside the club to do something that he can do
    For the same reason you hire external auditors each year to ensure your financial position is as reported. I wouldn't ask the company accountant to assure me that his own figures are correct.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    For the same reason you hire external auditors each year to ensure your financial position is as reported. I wouldn't ask the company accountant to assure me that his own figures are correct.
    I understand the point youre making jb, but he isnt really responsible for much if anything yet as id assume he hasnt implemented a thing. Id say hes spent the first half the year learning the organization. His first review on the existing issues he sees and how hes going to change them. Id say this time next year may be a better indicator if hes had much decent input
    Last edited by Upthetits; 08-07-19 at 07:10 PM.

Rep Player

The review and the hiring of our nexr coach is crucial. Ive canned my membership after the cowboys loss and sure as hell wont be signing up again until we have a solid direction, competency at all levels and a team of players worth their pay packet wanting to pay for the club. If they dont get these next moves right our club will continue to be below first grade level

I agree with all you guys that believe it's too early to put the heat on Mal just yet and I'm happy to give him time, however my initial point stands about there not being one microscopic piece of evidence that, as Head of Performance, there has been any improvement. I would have thought just his presence would have led to some improvement without the need for a review. Let's see what the review comes up with, although I wonder whether a review was necessary - sometimes a review is something for people to hide behind when all along they knew what the problems were and just didn't want to punt people. I'm sure a few senior people near the club, including Mal, have seen what the problems are without needing to produce a 100 page report. Sounds very Public Service like to me.

I still get concerned about the management when the coach, who was clearly not a hot property on the market, was offered an extension before the season had started. That is not even a comment made in hindsight - it was an unnecessary extension at the time and is now being shown to be a costly one as Brennan will need to be paid out.

Like others I will not be renewing membership until we start winning games regularly. I thought we had sorted the off field stuff out and got fooled into thinking that would lead to change. Every excuse has been exhausted.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    I still get concerned about the management when the coach, who was clearly not a hot property on the market, was offered an extension before the season had started. That is not even a comment made in hindsight - it was an unnecessary extension at the time and is now being shown to be a costly one as Brennan will need to be paid out
    That’s an assumption at best. We don’t know the terms or conditions of his contract or the extension. Being that the Frizelles and Kelly’s are very successful business people I’d imagine there would be some KPI’s and get out clauses, just as there was rewards clauses.
    Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by ja4220 View Post
    That’s an assumption at best. We don’t know the terms or conditions of his contract or the extension. Being that the Frizelles and Kelly’s are very successful business people I’d imagine there would be some KPI’s and get out clauses, just as there was rewards clauses.
    Only time will tell.
    My recollection at the time was that the owners just wanted to show faith. My point being that they could have done that a few weeks in to this season based on how we were going. If he was extended on rewards clauses they must have been low. I certainly don't want to be seen as criticising the owners in a big way as they saved the club and I guess they can really do what they like. It's their money after all, but if crowds and memberships keep going the way they are they'll be stumping up even more.

From this weeks column from the Mole.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mol...d-c677a2359b72

BULLDOGS, TITANS AFTER GUN COACH
    Justin Holbrook is the most wanted man in coaching at the moment - with the Bulldogs and Titans both chasing the St Helens boss.
    Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill even flew to England this week to talk to the former NRL halfback.
    Holbrook is the next big thing in coaching and the two struggling NRL clubs have recognised that.
    But if the Bulldogs do sign Holbrook, I’m hearing it may not necessarily mean the end for Dean Pay next season.
    Pay still has the support of Bulldogs powerbrokers Lynne and Chris Anderson and I’m told their plan is to make Holbrook Pay’s assistant in 2020 - and then possibly have him take over the reins in 2021.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

^^^^^ this gives me hope that we aren't just going to settle on Walters.

MT, ja4220, from memory, as to what was reported, his KPI's and targets were put into place for his contract extension. Club wanted to show the faith by activating his 2020 contract extension before a game was played. No sure what "get out" clauses you could still have if you are activating the contract.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    From this weeks column from the Mole.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mol...d-c677a2359b72

BULLDOGS, TITANS AFTER GUN COACH
    Justin Holbrook is the most wanted man in coaching at the moment - with the Bulldogs and Titans both chasing the St Helens boss.
    Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill even flew to England this week to talk to the former NRL halfback.
    Holbrook is the next big thing in coaching and the two struggling NRL clubs have recognised that.
    But if the Bulldogs do sign Holbrook, I’m hearing it may not necessarily mean the end for Dean Pay next season.
    Pay still has the support of Bulldogs powerbrokers Lynne and Chris Anderson and I’m told their plan is to make Holbrook Pay’s assistant in 2020 - and then possibly have him take over the reins in 2021.
    Please get holbrook!!!!

Great reading everyone's thoughts. I think Mal had to get a read on the current situation before he can implement too many changes. But I have expected more from the players and for him to have some affect on the coaching.

As far as coaches go. I don't know much about Justin Holbrook, I might have a look on TotalRl for some comments.

But his team does sit top of the Super League table, 19 wins and 2 loses.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    ^^^^^ this gives me hope that we aren't just going to settle on Walters.

MT, ja4220, from memory, as to what was reported, his KPI's and targets were put into place for his contract extension. Club wanted to show the faith by activating his 2020 contract extension before a game was played. No sure what "get out" clauses you could still have if you are activating the contract.
    They took up an option to extend. Doesn’t mean there isn’t clauses too terminate. Doesn’t mean there wasn’t conditions or terms that allow it to be terminated. We don’t know. My only point was that I think the parties involved are smarter than to just say here’s the keys to the kingdom, do what you want there’s no repurcussions.