Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    Rumours flying around Kevin Walters to replace Garth after Origin
    Where you hearing this?

First Grader

Please no kevin walters

No no no...he is not a coach, he is a motivator for Qld. That is it.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    No no no...he is not a coach, he is a motivator for Qld. That is it.
    That’s right. There is more to coaching for a full year than just 3 SOS matches a year. Meninga is a classic example who was hopeless as a club coach with the Raiders

I tend to agree. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather go with someone like Flanagan or Toovey. At least then if we're underperforming, we know that the coach isn't the problem, but rather the players. If we have a decent coach, that's NRL proven, there really is no excuse for our players to be playing poorly.

Inactive User

Walters and Meninga working together to steer our footy department

I would be thrilled with that

There are many pros / cons for any of the other coaches that have been thrown up ie Flannigan etc , so I guess there is no right or wrong at the minute.

I'm not completely sold on Walters either however he has been an assistant under Bellamy and Bennett and any link to Mal could be a good link an both could really work well together.

Commercially Walters being a QLD legend could help sell Commercial space and keep sponsors on board or attract new ones. Also if you want to succeed in business you copy the best and that is the Broncos , so having Watts and Walters at our club could steer us down that path. Also on a player front Walters may help us attract and RETAIN some up and coming talent ???

Just thoughts....
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

QLD Cup

Walters is a passionate Queenslander who loves Brisbane. He has been very vocal about wanting to coach Brisbane and has shown his disappointment several times when he has been overlooked. I don't understand why we would even contemplate signing him on those grounds alone. He would flip back to Brisbane the first chance he got, leaving us to look even more like the naive little brother that we are.

He seems like a good guy but he is not a proven coach. As others have said he is a motivator at best. It would be the final nail in the coffin for me supporting this team if we appointed him, especially considering that his favourite player is THE DON.

To say that Walters is a motivator at best is a ridiculous statement. I acknowledge that his role as Queensland coach tends to be more motivational than technical but his role at the Broncos was extremely technical. It was Bennett who provided individual and group motivation and overall goals but the technicalities associated with both attacking and defensive patterns and structures were the remit of the likes of Walters, Siebold and Demetriou. If you talk to Broncos players, they will quickly tell you that, in the Bennett era, the assistant coaches provided more of the traditional, technical coaching.

Inactive User

So......given this afternoon’s events should the elephant in the room be mentioned in this forum??

I would have no problem with Walters.

He can appear goofy sometimes, but he is a true winner beneath his humble personality and has been in very good systems.

He was the one one disciplined the junior maroons and held a behavioural standard and most of those players grew from it to come back into the QLD team.

Sure he loves Broncos, but does anyone think Flanagan wouldn't rather be coaching the Sharks, or go back if they approached?

I think he can make tough selection calls when necessary and would surely be a better fit than the current dude

Tim Sheens won’t be coming here.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    That’s right. There is more to coaching for a full year than just 3 SOS matches a year. Meninga is a classic example who was hopeless as a club coach with the Raiders
    Memories of his time at the Raiders is burnt into my memory. But he has a lot of use as a motivator and totem. Not everyone can cut it as a week in week out coach and that is ok.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by T0ken View Post
    Tim Sheens leaving super league
    But he really hasn't had much success over there.

What about Jason Demetriou?

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Kevin Walters built his coaching future in Queensland’s Origin I victory
    Robert Craddock, The Courier-Mail

Kevin Walters didn’t just go a long to way to silencing the doubters as he lead Queensland to victory on Wednesday night, he opened the door for a new coaching future.

Kevin Walters and the Gold Coast Titans look a better fit than ever after Queensland’s rousing State of Origin triumph.

This was always going to be a career-defining night for Walters who boldly shook up camp Maroon in a way he had been contemplating since he took over the role three years ago.

Walters raised eyebrows when he spurned the comfort of Queensland’s traditional underdog tag to declare Queensland would win the series opener and he banned his players from talking about NSW.

Whether it was hot air or a hot tactic is still being debated but the plan worked.

After the win Walters explained he had taken a holistic approach the shake-up, switching the training base to Brisbane and changing assistant coaches and the way the team is coached.

They also did yoga and had extra dietary guidance.

The Maroons are yet to win the series but this much is clear - his team plays for him.

He gets them firing. This is his fourth series in an era of unprecedented generational change and neither he nor his side have dropped the ball.

He won his first two series and narrowly lost the third. He is yet to have a shocker.

Standards have been preserved. New players have been blooded.

Team spirit lives on.

To look around the Maroon dressing room and see Kalyn Ponga hugging his father for what seemed 10 seconds or more and Moses Mbye sitting contented with his three young children was to see a team discovering the rich pleasures of Origin success.

Walters is an interesting study as a coach.

When you think he is going to be calm such as in a press conference he might choke up with emotion.

And when you think he should be nervous - such as on match night - he has an unexpectedly serene look.

In the hour before the game he was out on Suncorp Stadium chatting to Queensland under-18 officials looking like a farmer talking about the weather.

In the coaches box, when others explode, he looks composed apart from the big moments which he can celebrate with gusto.

But when the heat is really on, such as the dressing room at halftime when his team is 8-0 down, he seems to find words of comfort and assurance.

It is these moments that truly define a coach rather than what they say publicly.

Walters was heartbroken when he missed the Broncos coaching job but job interviews have never been his strong point.

The dressing room is his natural habitat not the board room showing flow charts and telling everyone how good he is.

For this reason he is probably underestimated.

If he wins this series his stocks will rise as the Gold Coast face their major decision on the future of coach Gareth Brennan.

The planets don’t normally align for Walters and club jobs.

This time they just might.