Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior

Default Big spending titans in salary cap bind

Gold Coast Titans left with little cash to sign new players in 2020
    TRAVIS MEYN, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

The cash-splashing Gold Coast Titans are in a recruitment pickle following revelations the club has little money to spend on star signings next season.

The Sunday Mail confirmed with club sources that the Titans currently have little room to move in their 2020 salary cap.

The Titans have spent big on a host of players over the past two years which has mostly filled the club’s 2020 quota.

As it stands, the Titans will not be able to sign a big-name star for next year unless they can move on a contracted player, leaving coach Garth Brennan to extract the most out of his current squad over the next two seasons.

In the past two years the Titans have spent millions to secure players they believed were key to the club’s success.

Halfback Ash Taylor is in the first year of a $1 million-a-season deal after the Titans paid overs to retain him.

Hooker Nathan Peats secured a $650,000-a-season deal when he was the incumbent NSW Origin No. 9, a position he lost last year.

Captain Ryan James is on a similar contract and so to is prop Jarrod Wallace, who negotiated a massive four-year deal last season as an Origin player.

Backrowers Kevin Proctor and Bryce Cartwright have not lived up to their $500,000-a-season contracts.

Luckily for the Titans, the club does not have any key players coming off-contract this year which would affect their ability to retain them.

Emerging forward Max King is the club’s re-signing priority this season, but next year is a different story.

Gun youngsters Jai Arrow and AJ Brimson are off-contract at the end of 2020 and will be seeking upgraded deals following their impressive development.

New Titans CEO Steve Mitchell said he was satisfied with the club’s roster situation and highlighted a three-year plan implemented by Brennan and league Immortal Mal Meninga.

“Mal and Garth have a strategy that will run forward over the next couple of seasons that will see us well placed in regards to the player spread across each position,” he said.

“There is a lot of work going into that space at the moment. It’s a 24, 36-month plan from what I’ve seen.

“They are being very strategic about it. I’m excited about where the club’s going to be in three years from now.

“I like what I’ve heard about what they’re looking to achieve.

“If that’s the path we’re going to take then we’re going to be in a really good place.”

The Titans finished 14th last season in Brennan’s first year in charge.

The rookie coach had inherited a squad mostly pieced together by former coach Neil Henry, but Brennan has put his stamp on the Titans this year.

He has signed former Kangaroos prop Shannon Boyd from Canberra and NSW Origin utility Tyrone Peachey from the Panthers.

Brennan has earned a contract extension until the end of 2020 and has to find improvement from his current squad to secure his long-term future in the NRL.

“I’ve got my stamp on the team a little bit more this year,” Brennan said.

“I’m more comfortable with the roster and defensive structures.

“Last year I had so many other things going on that football was one part of it.

“I’ve been very conscious to focus more on the footy side this year. That’s what I’m paid to do and want to do.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Hopefully the days of us paying overs for players will be coming to an end. I think we are starting to be able to offer them more. A great place in the world to live and lifestyle, representative pathways and a growing culture anchored by Big Mal.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

A few things to note here - firstly this is a made up problem by the media.

The titans are happy with the squad and don't need to recruit any 'stars' next year. They have signed and locked up the squad we believe will be successful over the next few years.

Secondly the following line 'Halfback Ash Taylor is in the first year of a $1 million-a-season deal after the Titans paid overs to retain him' is such a poorly written line for a professional journalist. 'paying overs' is bar room and twitter talk.

Saying 'Halfback Ash Taylor is in the first year of a $1 Million per season deal that his performances have so far failed to live up to' or ' $1 Million per season deal, in which the Titans payed above market value to ensure they retained a player they see as the future of the franchise'.

Another article last week flippantly said Brandon Smith at the storm would have to bide his time on the bench even though he would walk into the starting team of any other club... i count about 10 that WOULDNT start him. just casual laziness and it gets me sometimes, but rant over sorry.

Could you tell that it was from the courier Mail? Lol. Also ''the Titans will not be able to sign a big name star for next year unless they can move on a contracted player'. Is that not the same situation for every other club?
    Bring back Kevin Gordon

Totally a beat-up and really poor journalism ... as a member I am more than happy to have a stable roster and allow the staff to work on improving the team’s performances.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Agree with what's been said above but if a couple of big name, underperforming contracts wanted to leave I wouldn't be bothered. Always room for improvement.

This is where I like the NFL, they own you, you underperform you get dropped out of the team and earn the minimum (if you have a contract). ALternatively they can tell you to pack your bags when they trade you. Might make some people perform a hell of a lot better when their $500k a year contract could be torn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Totally a beat-up and really poor journalism ... as a member I am more than happy to have a stable roster and allow the staff to work on improving the team’s performances.
    Sure am. Perhaps we need to be replying to these articles on social media and on the CM website and try to raise the bar.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Sure am. Perhaps we need to be replying to these articles on social media and on the CM website and try to raise the bar.
    I used to be active on the CM website replying to articles but they raised the price of a subscription substantially and I decided to cancel. If you do reply to an article there is an army of Drongoes Fans that pounce on comments and it gets pretty nasty and you are badly outnumbered. Plus there’s a moderator that will publish all sorts of slime written by the Drongoes fans and not publish basic retorts like having a go at them about super league, the ten year exclusivity clause and TPAs.
    I’m glad I don’t enter that realm anymore. It’s a bad place.

It hurts me deeply to subscribe but my dad also enjoys reading the paper.

I'm happy to start commenting on CM on their site and everyone can at least post on facebook when they post it on CM and Maroon Home Ground. Well I can't post on CM FB cause I'm banned but anyway...

I subscribe and comment regularly but don’t get phased by the ‘Ponies driveling. That’s what makes it fun.

Inactive User

I subscribe and comment regularly but don’t get phased by the ‘Ponies driveling. That’s what makes it fun.
    Where were you when I needed you

I was that lone voice in support Bodsie :-) sadly time differentials don’t always allow (I’m in Minneapolis at the moment where it’s -21 degrees).

Back on topic, anyone notice that the Storm recruited no one this year? Just shows that if you have a good squad then recruiting “marquee” players is just so much media waffle.

Junior

I was that lone voice in support Bodsie :-) sadly time differentials don’t always allow (I’m in Minneapolis at the moment where it’s -21 degrees).

Back on topic, anyone notice that the Storm recruited no one this year? Just shows that if you have a good squad then recruiting “marquee” players is just so much media waffle.
    Exactly, isn’t the whole point of being a “Development Club” so we don’t have to recruit Marquee players. And to be honest how can you recruit a marquee pllayer every year anyway...

Storm are $600K over the salary cap this year and are at risk of not being able to take the field for Round 1. This is what it cost them to retain Cam Smith. They've been shopping Kasiano around all off season with no takers. This might have been where the Chambers rumours were coming from in the off season.