Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    QLD Cup

I was at this game and watching it live noticed some very worrying signs. For so long we have been hearing about how the boys are so well drilled and the fittest they have been in a long time. Apart from perhaps Peats, Arrow and a few select others I didn't see many signs of this. In the second half when the play was in front of me I watched our defensive line time after time lumber back the ten metres and most of the time barely make it. It might seem like I am picking on him but in one set I watched Don (who was in front of me, thats the only reason I am using him as an example) not make the 10 metres when the play was on the other side of the field and turn his back to the play of the ball when it was getting passed from dummy half. Kelly wasn't much better. To me that shows negligence and laziness. Either this is some great spin doctoring by our media department about how the players are super fit or the players are just taking shortcuts. Either way this attitude won't win games.

There also seems to be absolutely no game plan apart from trying to bend the line with our middle forwards. For two weeks we have attempted to do this and for two weeks we have lost the forward battle. Even when we do break the line like Arrow did, we don't know what to do next. Nobody is pushing up in support and nobody is organising the next play. However, I can't see this changing any time soon because at the moment we don't seem to have any other viable options.

Our left side defence is still an absolute shambles. We have been saying it for years but nothing has changed. We had the chance to recruit a decent left side back rower over the off season but for some reason nobody viewed that as a priority so here we are still.

I don't think all is lost just yet but Brennan needs to make some serious decisions and needs to make them quick.

For me; I echo the sentiments of everyone else about getting Rein back. I do think Peats should still start the game but get subbed 50min in and allow Rein to spark the attack. However, Peats does need to be put on notice and somebody desperately needs to teach him how to pass off the ground again because his service has seriously gone down hill since Brennan arrived.

I would like to see Proctor change sides to the left and stiffen that sides defence. He is offering nothing on attack on the right side so why not give somebody else a crack. I'd personally start with Hipgrave for his aggression (who cares about the penalties at least there will be a sign of effort) and then give Cartwright a run there. James back to the middle where he belongs.

I think Boyd should also be used more as an impact forward, coming on after 20min when their forwards are starting to tire. James to start with Wallace, but he also needs to lift his game and stop giving away needless penalties. On a side note he was also in front of me when he came off and he is still not where he should be weight wise. If you compare him to MoFo - there is light years between their physiques. If I had to choose between them I'd much rather have Mo in the 17.

Other than those things; I think Micks time is up. He's looking tired out there and we need spark from a fullback. I'd put AJ back there as soon as we have a half return from injury. I'll keep bleating on about it but Don is never going to get us into the finals. I'd give almost any of our other outside backs a run there (apart from Copley) but we desperately need some youth and some flippen speed in our outside backs.

But I guess the last point I'd like to make is one that I feel needs to happen immediately. If we are ever going to see a change of culture to one that prioritises winning then we need to give Arrow the captaincy. It is plain to see that he is not only our best player but also a natural born leader. James has done well over the years but it has taken its toll on him. Every week Arrow leads from the front and does his best to lift the players. We haven't had a player at the club who plays as hard as he does for a very long time. It will be interesting to see whether Brennan can see that this season or if we will be forced to wait until it is all but lost again before he starts making those big calls that he keeps going on about.

Inactive User

^^^ awesome post. I thought we looked less fit and struggling to get onside v Canberra too.
    The loss of the Catterick Crew to Penrith is an unmitigated disaster.
    Last year despite not being a good year for us was outstanding in health and fitness.

Excellent post NZFan, thanks for taking the time to write that up. Your on ground observations are concerning.

I was thinking yesterday (along with many), in the aftermath and the realisation of Arrow's stats how good a captain he would make. Also his attitude post game, mentioned by Bods. Arrow really got noticed once again by the NRL community.

I agree with Rein. And 100% that we should be playing AJ at 1 and not follow the vogue of putting fullbacks at 5/8th.

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan
    I'd personally start with Hipgrave for his aggression (who cares about the penalties at least there will be a sign of effort)
    We do lack passion and effort. God, it's nearly non existent from our side.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 24-03-19 at 02:26 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Yes, great post NZfan.
    The only thing I didn't like reading was Hipgrave - I don't want him anywhere near the side unless his discipline has changed. I agree re Rein but I think it should be one or the other as I think Rein can go the 80 minutes. Peats needs to be dropped.
    I also watched the two games after hours and couldn't help think just how much faster across the park that three of those 4 sides (not Manly unfortunately) were than us. We are a really slow and lumbering side and I thought that buying Boyd was just more of the same. I have not been proven incorrect at this stage.
    It's early days but Brennan will soon be getting very nervous when he sees Meninga near the training field as happens most sessions. There is a ready made coaching replacement right there.

Titans need belief they can still win
    http://www.sundaymail.com.au

GOLD Coast coach Garth Brennan admits his side needs to find some confidence and believe it can win again if it is to be a serious premiership contender this season.

The Titans failed to capitalise on an improved yet patchy performance yesterday afternoon, going down 20-6 to Cronulla in front of 15,217 fans at Sydney’s Shark Park.

Expectations were high for the Gold Coast leading into the 2019 season following the recruitment of Mal Meninga as the new performance boss but last night they sat at the bottom of the NRL ladder.

The Gold Coast have lost both their games to start this season but perhaps in a more worrying trend, they managed two wins in their last nine games of the 2018 season.

With largely the same personnel on the roster, Brennan said the losses were beginning to take a toll.

“We’re getting close, just not close enough.

“We’re a team that’s hoping that we can win and not believing that we can win.

“That’s probably a bit because they’re down on confidence at the moment.

“We crossed the tryline four times and couldn’t take a break and didn’t deal with the disappointment of not getting a try.

“We’ll keep working hard and putting ourselves in a position to win games.”

There were glimpses of hope for the Titans’ future during yesterday’s clash.

Lock Jai Arrow put in a mammoth performance in the middle.

The 101kg Queenslander was a standout, racking up 299m from 28 hit-ups playing in a losing side.

It came after Brennan challenged his forward pack to “step it up” against the Sharks this round following their poor Round 1 performance against Canberra in Robina.

“He’s special, isn’t he?” Brennan said of Arrow.

“If everyone showed as much passion as what Jai Arrow showed there today (yesterday), then the result is probably different.’’

Gold Coast started the game with plenty of zip and would have been in the lead after five minutes but tries to captain Ryan James and Arrow were turned down by the video referee.

It took 130 minutes, but the Titans got their first fourpointer for 2019 through winger Brenko Lee, who took advantage of some scrambling Cronulla defence.

Their possession on the Sharks’ line should have been converted into more points after having been tackled 59 times inside Cronulla’s 20m line.

They seemed to lack the experience and kicking game of No.7 Taylor as new halves pairing AJ Brimson and Ryley Jacks tried to take control.

Brimson and Jacks will require some more time to settle into their new playmaking roles and will need to work on their kicking game if the Titans are to score more points.

In the end, Gold Coast were outshone by the experience and skill of Sharks halves Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend, who celebrated his 100th NRL match.

Winger Sione Katoa’s firsthalf double helped guide Cronulla to a 20-0 halftime lead.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

No dount Arrow is our best player right now, but I dont know if we really want to load him with the captaincy right now do we?

He is still a baby really, and has had injuries most of last year. Lets let him get a proper season under his belt first i think for his own benefit as much as anything.

I really like James, but in the same vein as the coach - if you cant get your team 'up', then maybe its time to look elsewhere for a captain.

Peats could have made the team his by now, but looks like he will not get there, and there is an opportunity for Ash if he grows up in the next year or two to be our leader. but he is a ways off. I think James will see out the year, but if Arrow keeps it up he may find himself and Ash as Co-Captains in the near future.

also - should out the titans / Manly fans on the forum. you guys are gonna have a rough year. and i feel sick about our team, imagine having that two times over... i hope the liquor cabinets are well stocked and your have a good sense of humour cos damn 2019 is going in dry on you folk.

5 THINGS WE LEARNT YESTERDAY
    http://www.sundaymail.com.au

1 Titans coach Garth Brennan challenged his forward pack to step it up against a strong Cronulla side and they certainly did. Jai Arrow (299m) and Ryan James (171m) did their best to build momentum through the middle of the park. Both had opportunities to score but they were denied by the video referee.

2 The Titans’ halves pairing AJ Brimson (right) and Ryley Jacks will need time to settle into their new roles. Jacks had a nervy start for his new club, making two critical errors and some poor kicking options. Brimson was a livewire at fiveeighth and chanced his arm with a few short kicks but wasn’t able to convert.

3 Bryce Cartwright is still far from being back to his best. The forward made two crucial errors which gave the Sharks good field position and the hosts came close to scoring. Cartwright looked hesitant in attack and made just 52m from six runs during his 59-minute stint.

4 Cronulla’s halves Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend are in form, setting up two tries and made two linebreak assists between them. Fullback Matt Moylan also had a hand in one try and teamed up well with his halves.

5 The Sharks’ right edge is shaping to be one of the most potent in the NRL. Winger Sione Katoa (left) racked up 216m, four linebreaks and bagged a first-half double. His inside centre Josh Dugan also looked dangerous, scoring a try and setting up another.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    also - should out the titans / Manly fans on the forum. you guys are gonna have a rough year. and i feel sick about our team, imagine having that two times over... i hope the liquor cabinets are well stocked and your have a good sense of humour cos damn 2019 is going in dry on you folk.

For this reason I follow the BRL, Super League and Championship. (I don't really have a QCUP team) Going to watch a livestream of the Diehards later today.

I just need to see someone I care about winning!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^ awesome post. I thought we looked less fit and struggling to get onside v Canberra too.
    The loss of the Catterick Crew to Penrith is an unmitigated disaster.
    Last year despite not being a good year for us was outstanding in health and fitness.
    We seemed to have a LOT of players going down with cramps yesterday. Far more than is normal.

Good summary nzfan, and also agree with MT about our pack.
    I don’t agree with Hiprgrave though. He’s a loose cannon. People like to compare him to Bird but I think we have a much better version of Bird in Arrow. Offers the same sort of work rate as Bird without the rubbish.

Don’t agree with Arrow as captain yet but James needs to be in the middle. They look tired, not unfit, imho. Start King at left edge. Boyd, Peachy and Cartwright are all bench forwards. Kelly to left centre and blood a rookie on the right.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    No No it was constantly in play when we were in possession. Titanic wrote a post about it too. Waving his arms about at his side like a shrug communicating to the team “what do I do now” as if we are a disorganised shambles.
    Terrible look.
    Ah ok....Frustration?

QLD Cup

Watching the Canterberry Parra game. We may be able to beat the Dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    Watching the Canterberry Parra game. We may be able to beat the Dogs!
    Woah what a score reversal from what it was when I was viewing, it was about 10-0 to the Dogs. Ended 36-16 to the Eels.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    Thanks for your concern DB. The difference this year from last is what? I was conditioned to this last year but while I had few hopes for Manly I was really hoping the Titans would salvage this year for me.
    I have a few o/s trips booked now that it's not worth sticking around for the footy. I used to check the draw before I booked holidays but not anymore. the worst part about it is I'll still stream at least the radio coverage wherever I am, so I don't really escape.