Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Jai Arrow optimistic of dodging back troubles after good signs from Gold Coast Titans Round 1
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

IT wasn’t the Round 1 result Jai Arrow was hoping for but there was a left-field positive for the Gold Coast workhorse to take out of the first NRL weekend of the season.

The only downside to Arrow’s breakout 2018 campaign was the back troubles he battled through.

The 23-year-old reassessed over the summer how he can prevent a recurrence of the injury and it seems as if his additional work is already reaping the rewards.

“I have done a lot more stretching than I probably had last year and a lot more ice baths for sure,” he said. “I’m just trying to maintain my body.”

The indication that it is doing the trick?

“I was in bed straight after the game (on Sunday night) and fell asleep pretty quick whereas usually I can’t really sleep after games so it’s obviously a good sign for me there,” he added.

“I will just keep doing that and hopefully that works.”

Arrow will be part of a pivotal forwards battle between the Titans and Sharks this Saturday, with the hosts boasting renowned metre-eaters such as Andrew Fifita and Paul Gallen.

“The Sharks are a big forward pack and if we’re not running harder than them, then they are obviously going to dominate us,” Arrow said.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Don's unexpected shot at Titans history
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/20/...itans-history/

It took just one week and two tries for Anthony Don to earn an NRL recall and now the Titans cult hero has a piece of club history in his sights.

In a vastly different team to the one named by coach Garth Brennan for round one, Don returns on the right wing at the expense of Phillip Sami while Ryley Jacks and AJ Brimson form a new halves combination for Saturday's clash with the Sharks.

Captain Ryan James (illness), Ash Taylor (quad), Tyrone Roberts (Achilles) and Dale Copley (calf) were all absent from training on Wednesday as were Jack Stockwell and Will Matthews who are battling hip and Achilles injuries respectively.

It's an early test of the club's new-found depth but Don has earned a reprieve on the back of a strong performance for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup having been a shock omission to face the Raiders last Sunday.

The reigning Members' Player of the Year admitted that he was disappointed to start the year back where his NRL journey began eight years ago but is now in position to write his name into the record books.

Currently tied with David Mead as the Titans' leading tryscorer with 67, Don can set a new mark with a four-pointer at Shark Park on Saturday afternoon after failing to claim the record in the final two games of the 2018 season.

"I haven't been thinking about it to tell you the truth," said Don.

"If I get it this week that'd be great but, if not, it doesn't matter.

"It was quite funny playing for Burleigh last week. When I debuted there in 2011 my club number was 199 and the guys that were debuting on the weekend were 350.

"That was a moment where I realised that I had been around Burleigh and Gold Coast footy for a long time now."

Since making his debut – and scoring a try – in a 28-22 win over the Eels in round six, 2013, Don's status among fans has grown and his performances recognised with a NSW Country jersey and club best and fairest award in 2017.

Titans supporters were left stunned when he was overlooked in favour of Brenko Lee against Canberra for round one but the 31-year-old is now determined to make sure he stays in the top grade.

"To be honest, I was disappointed," Don said of his demotion.

"I hadn't played back at Burleigh for a few years but I made sure I didn't let it get me down.

"I stayed positive. Burleigh Bears are a great rugby league club. I've spent a lot of time there and know a lot of faces and it's right next to my house. So I looked at all the positives and got around the boys down at Burleigh and had a good game on the weekend.

"After playing last week for Burleigh it's probably a bit sooner than I thought.

"I thought I might be in Q Cup for a bit longer but very lucky to get a chance in first grade this week for the Titans against the Sharks.

"Everyone that is in the 17 knows that if they don't play well they might miss out the following week.

"The pressure is on everyone, not just me. I've just got to go out there and do my job and I'm confident I can do that."

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Inactive User

Who are the referees tomorrow?

Thank goodness Maxwell is there to help us in the bunker.

Inactive User

^^^^ Maxwell is from The Shire.
    We are getting all the Rookie Referees this year

Thanks for posting that JB

Some nice Titans culture building here...

Titan #146, Ryley Jacks.

Jacks was presented his playing jersey by the Titans first ever halfback, Scott Prince.

Mead glad to hand Don his tryscoring baton
    htto://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

TITANS great David Mead says he’ll be happy to see Anthony Don break his try-scoring record when Gold Coast’s cult hero returns to the NRL.

Don will make his first appearance of the season for the Titans in today’s Round 2 clash against the Sharks in Cronulla.

The flying winger has been recalled to first grade after Titans coach Garth Brennan wielded the axe on Phillip Sami after the Gold Coast’s Round 1 loss to Canberra.

A fan favourite, Don equalled Mead’s all-time Titans try-scoring record of 67 when he scored seven tries in five games late last season.

But he failed to cross in the Gold Coast’s final two games of the year and was overlooked for Round 1 selection this season, leaving him stranded with Mead.

Mead, 30, played 147 games for the Titans to become the fourth-most capped player in the club’s history behind Mark Minichiello (173), Will Zillman (156) and Luke Bailey (150).

Don, 31, has managed to equal Mead’s record in only 110 NRL appearances after debuting as a 25-year-old in 2013.

Now playing for Catalans in the Super League, Mead said Don was deserving of being the club’s all-time greatest tryscorer if he can snare that elusive four-pointer.

“He is obviously someone who’s been very hungry to play in the NRL because he didn’t debut until his mid-20s and now he’s played well over 100 games,” Mead said.

“He’s been outstanding since he started playing for the Titans. I think he is one of the most consistent players I’ve ever played with.

“You know for sure that he will go out and do his job to the best of his ability week-in, week-out.

“He’s a great finisher and he is about to break the try-scoring record. I’m great mates with ‘Boogs’ so I’ll definitely send him a message to congratulate him.”

Titans pack awake to the Gallen factor
    http://www.couriermail.com.au

THE Titans’ forward pack has been challenged to stand up against a Cronulla side looking to send retiring veteran Paul Gallen out on a high note in his final NRL season.

Coach Garth Brennan (above) admitted his side was in for a “tough afternoon” but urged his pack to step up.

“I haven’t personally set that challenge for them, but I’m sure they’re well aware that they need to stand up,” he said.

“Forwards go a long way in contributing to winning football games and there’s probably no bigger challenge than that Cronulla pack. Our guys have to stand up and they’re aware of that.

“The boys understand they’re in for a tough afternoon.

“When you look at the middle of Cronulla’s team, in (Andrew) Fifita, (Matt) Prior, Gallen and (Aaron) Woods, they’re a quality pack and the boys have to stand up to them.”

The Titans will be relying on new playmakers in AJ Brimson and former Storm player Ryley Jacks after injuries cruelled them of their regular halves.

Brennan said Jacks would be counted on to control the game, having developed his skills under Melbourne’s Big Three – Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater.

Brennan said: “He’s played with three of the greatest players of all time, Smith, Cronk and Slater, so I’m sure he’s learnt a lot off those guys in terms of game management and that’s probably what we lacked last week in the wet conditions.’’

Video Preview: Sharks v Titans - Round 2 CLICK HERE TO WATCH

Confirmed line up.

The final 17 is as follows:

1. Michael Gordon
    2. Anthony Don
    3. Tyrone Peachey
    4. Brian Kelly
    5. Brenko Lee
    6. AJ Brimson
    7. Ryley Jacks
    8. Jarrod Wallace
    9. Nathan Peats
    10. Shannon Boyd
    11. Kevin Proctor
    12. Ryan James ©
    13. Jai Arrow

14. Phillip Sami
    15. Moeaki Fotuaika
    16. Max King
    17. Bryce Cartwright

First Grader

So sick of seeing proctor hitting a short ball and not taking the hit then getting the offload and its only been one game. Its deadset identical to last season. The blokes out wide need ball.

OK just renewed my Watch NRL membership. I'll be watching this on the TV and look forward to sharing the game with you.

Eyes on our forwards and Jacks' debut. Pleased to see Don return. We will have a dry track in Cronulla.

Was uncertainty if Shaun Johnson is playing today for the Sharks. But he will be.

Sharks: John Morris named an unchanged side following last week's loss and has stuck with that 17. Paul Gallen will equal the Sharks' all-time appearance record held by Andrew Ettingshausen with 328 games. Scott Sorensen and Kyle Flanagan were cut an hour out from kick-off, while Bronson Xerri and Braden Hamlin-Uele were omitted on Friday.

From NRL.com

If Don could learn to return balls like Kahu he wouldn't have to worry about his place in the team. His meandering kick returns are his only failing.