Default Roberts back home with point to prove

Gold Coast Titans utility Tyrone Roberts is ready to put a difficult 12 months behind him, starting with Friday night's Harvey Norman All Stars clash in Melbourne.

Roberts re-signed with the Titans at the end of last year after spending an eventful season in the Super League with the Warrington Wolves.

The Wolves managed to reach both the Super League grand final and Challenge Cup final with Roberts in their side, but off the field things weren't as rosy for the 27-year-old and his young family.

Roberts admitted his family found it difficult to adjust to the north of England, so when the chance came to return to re-sign with the Titans, he immediately took it.

"The football side of it was great, but just off the field [we struggled]," Roberts said from Indigenous All Stars camp in Melbourne on Tuesday.

"Sometimes you would leave in the dark and come home in the dark, so it wasn't great for the kids.

"It was too cold for them to go outside, so they were stuck inside for most of the time and we didn't get too many opportunities to go travelling as we played every week."

Roberts praised the way Warrington handled his situation, with an out clause in his three-year contract allowing him to return to the NRL.

"I wanted to experience it, that's why I signed for three years over there," he said.

"I told them early that I wasn't comfortable off the field and they respected that decision.

"The kids weren't coping well and I wasn't coping all that well being too far away from home.

"It was a great experience over there, but family comes first and they are more comfortable over here and you can't put a price on happiness."

Roberts has moved back into the same house he previously lived in on the Gold Coast and is focused on "staying injury free and playing consistent footy" in 2019.

Many pundits expect the Titans to be one of the big improvers, with big things expected of Roberts and Ash Taylor in the halves.

"I know when I first started there was a lot of pressure on me, so I am just trying to take all that away from him," Roberts said of his mentoring role with Taylor.

"He's a great footballer and he has got the great skills, but the less he worries about things the better he can play."

As well as Roberts, Titans coach Garth Brennan also have Tyrone Peachey and Ryley Jacks in the mix for the No.6 and No.7 jerseys.

While Roberts' long-term focus is with the Titans, his immediate goal is performing well for the Indigenous All Stars against an imposing Maori team in a revamped All Stars contest at AAMI Park on Friday night.

It will be the fourth time that Roberts has pulled on the Indigenous jersey and he can't wait to run out on the field and represent his culture once again.

"Whenever this comes around, if I am fit and ready I always put my hand up no matter what," Roberts said.

"Hopefully there will be plenty of tries and a lot of finesse."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/12/...oint-to-prove/
    Last edited by Menoitios; 12-02-19 at 05:01 PM.

Inactive User

I’d rather this guy simply didn’t speak to the media.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’d rather this guy simply didn’t speak to the media.
    I most definitely would like to add Shanelle Cartwright to the “Banned from speaking to the Media” list after her effort.
    Good grief.
    The crap we put up with is never ending.

Just go ahead and Google her name if you don’t know what I’m on about.
    I’m flabbergasted.
    Bryce Cartwright-the gift that keeps on giving. Looks like Bryce and Wife are taking “NO DEFENCE” to a whole new level.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 12-02-19 at 08:59 PM.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I most definitely would like to add Shanelle Cartwright to the “Banned from speaking to the Media” list after her effort.
    Good grief.
    The crap we put up with is never ending.

Just go ahead and Google her name if you don’t know what I’m on about.
    I’m flabbergasted.
    Bryce Cartwright-the gift that keeps on giving. Looks like Bryce and Wife are taking “NO DEFENCE” to a whole new level.
    Lol, anti vaxxers! So the kids can fight off Diptheria, Polio and German Measles but I'll bet they're gluten and dairy intolerant.
    Call me Mr Stupid but...

I read about the anti vax stuff.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

C'mon now...

This decision made by the Cartwright's has nothing to do with the Titans. I personally don't agree with it....but this has nothing whatsoever to do with the club. Nothing. There will be no ramifications for the Titans because of this.

Bryce and Shanelle will most likely cop a bit on social media....but unless he uses that as an excuse for non performance.....this is nothing to do with us.
    Last edited by Menoitios; 12-02-19 at 10:32 PM.

With you Meno but let’s remember this is the same woman that bought a luxury car from our major benefactor’s competitor ... maybe not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.