Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    First Grader

Peter Parr would be my choice if he was interested

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    i think i made a lengthy post advocating him a few months ago, and i recommend him IN SPITE of being a forum member, not because of it.

His background would be great. and the beauty is, he may be the next CEO and we wouldn't even know it...unless its Castle lol.
    Oh OK, I was unaware of that, DB. Good to see you didn't let the opportunity pass us by then.

Fair enough, Titanic. Understandably you got commitments elsewhere. But as we know, your wealth of knowledge of the Game and of the Coast is hard to come by, regardless if you're a old fart or not. Those key elements would be the icing on the cake considering how we're structured these days. Hopefully the next CEO has some grasp in those areas.

To be honest, with the wealth of business management and entrepreneurial experience we have in the Frizelle and Kelly Gangs I would be plumbing for youth and vigour. Mentoring is way underplayed these days but that’s where we could excell and who better to learn from?

Some qualified but slightly underdone dynamo would be a lot easier to mold into a formidable Titans-specific CEO rather than trying to fit some aging non-vested interest into our model.

Satts Junior could well be that man or someone like Locky or Ryan James in a few years time. Conversely we don’t need another caretaking fixer like Annesley. We are paddling hard to catch our wave, let’s not miss it.

I would be very surprised if the owners would relinquish the reins completely at this crucial stage of their investment anyway. The safer option would be to appoint a kindred soul, a ‘believer’ prepared to offer a contemporary perspective while taking advice instead of a loose-cannon like Searle.
    Last edited by Titanic; 09-11-18 at 04:13 AM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

I do remember hearing rumours a couple of years ago about an ex player who was involved in the corporate side of the club wanting the opportunity.
    He was told he didn't have the experience and then left to take up a CEO role in private enterprise to try gain the experience.

Very happy with big Mal getting a gig with the Titans. Shows a new level of respect from the old school guard. To be honest, I'm not sure what he will do from a performance point but he can certainly bring a winning culture to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I’m wondering whether anyone will stick their neck out and suggest someone they’d like to be the CEO....
    What about the original? Paul Broughton?

Hey Whizza, long time no read ... I reckon he’s paid for himself already a la The Hayne Pain but I really do believe we should get a real go-getter in there who can be led by the owners. The alternative opens itself to a Penn situation.

Default Mal Meninga: The values players must embrace

This is a great article by Mal. What a bloke to have around our club!

The core values of our game have taken a real hit over the past few months, so maybe we need to articulate them better to all involved with rugby league.

Last year the NRL and ARL Commission decided to make a stand and set out four principles – four core values – we should all be living and working by: (being) Disciplined, United, Positive, Inclusive.

These are the things we all should live by and be judged on if we are involved with this great game. These are the new set of beliefs that must surround us all.

Discipline covers how you act, how you behave, how you make decisions on behalf of an organisation that has given you a lifeline, a lifestyle, an opportunity to be successful.

You can't expect to be a player at the top level of our game without discipline. That means from the very basics of performing at training, to playing matches, to what you do away from the game. Discipline runs through all those.

If you don't have the discipline to prepare well, you won't have success as a player. If you don't have discipline off the field for your friends, your teammates, your family, you don't have respect and integrity.

And I don't buy the argument that social media makes the environment today much more difficult for players. Social media is the norm these days – get used to it. That's what we've got to live with and people understand that you're always only a second away of having a photo taken of you or a video.

In that accountability, there must always be the need for players to look after each other. Yes, we're all accountable for our own actions, but it's important we look after our mates and protect them as well – talk to them and help them, care about them.

The underlining factor is that as players we want to protect the game because it's important to us. We are the custodians right now for the game's future. So we need to care about the game.

I use these same core values when I select footy teams. The Test team has the RISE – Respect, Inspire, Selflessness, Excellence – concept but the game down to the grassroots level has this new set of beliefs that dictate the decisions we make and how we act.

We have some really strong education and advancement programs in our game. We are renowned and lauded for by other sports for these off-field programs about state of mind, treatment of women. We do a good job and we will keep at it.

But here we are today with players involved in legal action, or being penalised by the game for their behaviour.

I don't buy the argument that social media makes the environment today much more difficult for players. Social media is the norm these days – get used to it.

So we have to stand strong. It is black-and-white, there are no grey areas here.

If you're looking at the actions of players, you have to ask are they looking after the game? Are they mindful of who they're hurting? Are they treating the game in a positive light?

Every time a player goes out, it is an opportunity to market the game. And that's the way it should be.

If players transgress, then obviously there is the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

But I firmly believe the player needs to be suspended straight away, and then go through due process.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/09/...epay-the-game/
    Last edited by Menoitios; 09-02-19 at 12:50 PM.

Good piece by Mal. Our game can't keep taking this damage from its moronic privileged whelps.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Suspended first is right ... it’s not about guilty or innocent, the courts will look after that, it’s about protecting the game.

Mal Meninga outlines his plan for the Titans while assuring coach Garth Brennan he won’t interfere
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

Immortal Mal Meninga has delivered his first piece of work to Gold Coast Titans and declared he would not be overruling coach Garth Brennan.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Meninga presented the dossier to Titans management, highlighting his take on the club and where it needs to improve.

“Mal’s Manifesto” included the history of rugby league on the Gold Coast, an analysis of the Titans’ structure and how performance can lift.

The Kangaroos coach was last year inducted into the exclusive *Immortals and won nine *Origin series at the helm of Queensland.

The Titans pulled off a coup in signing Meninga as the club’s head of performance and culture late last year in a bid to transform the struggling franchise into a premiership contender.

Meninga, who relocated to the Gold Coast from Canberra last week, said the Titans had the potential to become a powerhouse club.

“I learnt there is a lot of honesty at the club,” Meninga told The Sunday Mail.

“With that you can improve the organisation and hopefully improve it quickly.

“Everyone understands where they sit as far as success goes. The headspace is in the right area. They all care about the organisation and have a great work ethic.

“We’ve got to work on a common purpose and set of beliefs that is going to be the foundation for the club going forward. Everyone in the organisation has had an input into that.”

After commuting from Canberra for two months, Meninga and his young family have moved permanently to the Gold Coast.

Now settled, Meninga is branching further into the Gold Coast’s football operations and will work more with Brennan.

The Titans finished 14th last season in Brennan’s first year at the club and have only played finals football once (2016) in the past eight *seasons.

Despite having serious clout, Meninga insisted he was not at the club to overrule Brennan.

“I just want to help,” Meninga said.

“That’s my simple mantra. I want to help them to be better at everything they do. That’s what my job is.

“Everyone can improve collectively.

“We’ve got to have a mindset about wanting to improve every day. That’s part of our purpose.

“If we want to have sustained success like the top clubs in this competition there are certain things we need to do on a regular basis.

“The coaching staff are doing some really good work here under Garth’s leadership.

“I’m here to help, not take over.”

Meninga helped build a Maroons dynasty by focusing as much on what happens away from the field as on it.

He instigated the RISE – Respect, Inspire, Selflessness, Excellence – mantra with the Kangaroos and is working on delivering the Titans their own set of values.

“Every organisation has a purpose and set of beliefs that is them,” he said.

“That’s the way they operate and how they make decisions.

“I believe the things you do outside your work days are just as important as what you do through your work days.

“Everything you do beyond training and club commitments … what you do at home and how you lead your life is a really important part of your preparation to get it right on game day.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know all the players and hopefully having a positive impact on their lives and footy lives.

“They’re setting standards that will hold them in good stead when times get tough in games.”

The appointment of Meninga would not have happened without the approval from club owners the Frizelle and Kelly families.

Darryl Kelly said Meninga had delivered an honest assessment of the Titans and it was clear standards had to lift at the club, on and off the field.

“We’ve always known the club has not performed at the highest level,” Kelly said.

“The idea behind appointing Mal was to lift the expectations within the whole business, not only the playing group.

“We’re happy with what he’s done so far. We have to not only put it down on paper but also deliver it in reality. It’s about lifting expectations.

“People perform to a level in business and on the field to what they see as being acceptable.

“What was acceptable in the past is not acceptable anymore.

“The standards have got to be lifted. Everybody (other clubs) is in the same position at the moment. We all think we’ve had good pre-seasons and are better than we were last year.

“But someone is going to come first and someone is going to come last.

“Our squad is talented, there’s no doubt about that, they’ve now got to play to their potential.”

Professional rugby league has had a turbulent history on the Gold Coast.

The Titans are the fifth *incarnation of a league franchise on the Coast in the past 30 years following the demise of the Giants, Seagulls, Gladiators and Chargers.

While the Titans have only been around since 2007, and suffered a dramatic dip in *supporters since their successful early years, Meninga said that the club had to tap into the *region’s rugby league history.

“The Gold Coast rugby league community has had a lot of success since it started in the early 1900s,” he said.

“There is a rich history and a lot of success during that time.

“This is a new organisation with new ownership and new ways of doing things.

“It’s only 12 months old. Everyone is looking forward to improving.”

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Focusing on the RL history of the Gold Coast is a great idea. And something we should have done since Day 1. There is a lot to celebrate and a lot for me to learn about too. Once again, onya Mal.

great read on Mal

Since K&F took the reigns at the club, we've made some fantastic decisions. Signing Mal has to be up there with the best of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Since K&F took the reigns at the club, we've made some fantastic decisions. Signing Mal has to be up there with the best of them!
    Agree, i was in tears when it was announced. He has the clout and gravitas to bring great change.

I was not sold on Ferris, but im preparing to eat my words on that one as it seems everyone in the team is fitter than last year and ready to perform this year.

only poor choice i think since the takeover is the jersey. its just not 'us'. but overall their impact has been amazing

Speaking to the Club last week DB there were a lot of dissenting voices regarding the jersey ... hopefully we can win some games, get more members and not have to grovel for merchandising dollars in the future ... bloody ridiculous.