Default Titans' depth rivals top teams but could cost Lee

Sorry everyone, this has already been posted. I probably should have checked that first. lol
    Last edited by Menoitios; 08-02-19 at 07:14 AM.

No worries Menoitios, we all really appreciate your posts.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

With AJ and Jacks out of the picture for the 1st game the backline looks predictable.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    No worries Menoitios, we all really appreciate your posts.
    Thanks DIEHARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    With AJ and Jacks out of the picture for the 1st game the backline looks predictable.
    The centre spots could still be up for grabs. Here's an interesting stat from last year......out of the top 10 attacking centres in the game, and considering the options we have this year....the only one on our books that made the list is Brenko lee!

Judged on line break involvements, Lee ranked 5th in the top 10. Although he only made 2 line breaks (the lowest on the list), he was the best centre in the game last year for line break assists. He totaled 10....one ahead of Latrell Mitchell who made 9.

The top 10 attacking centres of 2018;

1. Kerrod Holland

2. Latrell Mitchell

3. Jarrod Croker

4. Ben Hampton

5. Brenko Lee

6. Greg Inglis

7. Joseph Manu

8. Peta Hiku

9. Jesse Ramien

10. Joseph Leilua

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/06/...raiders-shine/

So....out of the top 5 centres.....Brenko is the only one with double vowels in his last name. The top three all have double consanants in their first/last names.

Conclusion? It could be a BIG year for Brian Kelly!!!

(That last bit is just for laughs! No conspiracy here. Moving forward....*cough*)

^^^^
    Interesting post, but the table above just shows how stupid many stats are. Kerrod Holland above Latrell Mitchell - ridiculous. Brenko Lee above Inglis, Leilua, and Ramien, again ridiculous.
    I know the table relates to only part of a centres game but it just shows that stats can be shown to prove anything. I have found that my eyes are the best judge of what is happening.

The formula they used according to the article was to add up the line breaks and line break assists....then divide that by the number of games played at centre. Holland only played 10 games.

The thing about using our own individual eyes to judge is that our eyes tend to back up preconceived notions. We tend to pay particular attention to mistakes/poor reads in players that have disappointed us in the past, and skim over the good involvements.

Statistics take the emotional attachment out of the equation.

I actually think the opposite is closer to reality. The eyes will always look for evidence to support your theory. The numbers don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    The formula they used according to the article was to add up the line breaks and line break assists....then divide that by the number of games played at centre. Holland only played 10 games.

The thing about using our own individual eyes to judge is that our eyes tend to back up preconceived notions. We tend to pay particular attention to mistakes/poor reads in players that have disappointed us in the past, and skim over the good involvements.

Statistics take the emotional attachment out of the equation.

I actually think the opposite is closer to reality. The eyes will always look for evidence to support your theory. The numbers don't lie.
    Good response mate........but anyone who thinks Lee is in the same ballpark as Inglis, Leilua and Ramien is kidding themselves. Just having Holland at the top of the list shows how flawed it is.

Nice debate. The missing pieces in that conundrum are the individual’s involvement in actually playing the game and the effectiveness of their contributions eg breaking the line and then throwing the ball into touch, something Lee did and Inglis didn’t ... just saying.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I think there is a nice middle ground in that the stat is accurate but its only one part of a centres game and so if you have 20 different stats, Brenko might show up in one or two, but Lattrell, Inglis and others would be at least top 5 in most and win quite a few as well so I dont think anyone who reads it honestly thinks Brenko is top tier.

In Brenko's case - he was actually the standout attacking centre in NRL for first 10 odd rounds the previous year at bulldogs for assists and tries or something, but he was an absolute mess in Defence and got dropped never to be seen again in blue and white.

And watching him i actually rate his ability to break the line, put someone away, finish a try and think he has good hands, someone just needs to teach the man to tackle and read defence, because the attack is already there and could be useful to us.

I think his defence is probably no worse than Brian Kelly who was a bit of a door mat as well at times, but its possible Kelly shows more commitment, and i'd rather defer to the Manly boys on this forum who can do some video review in their new centre of excellence and get back to us on Kelly's defensive ability.

Nobody is saying he is top tier. The stats prove he was ranked 5th in the nrl as an attacking centre for 2018. Not his overall game. That's it.

What was, is what was. He's lost 7kg in the off season (credit to our new conditioning staff). He feels stronger and fitter for this year.

As long as he is pulling on a Titans jersey (or Tweed or Burleigh)....I'll back him against any opposition. If the backrower inside him and the winger outside him are on the same page...his defence will be solid. His history with the dogs should not come into it.

But...that's just my opinion, and I'm Titans first and foremost.
    Last edited by Menoitios; 10-02-19 at 11:43 AM.