Greg Inglis to retire at end of 2020 season
http://www.nrl.com

South Sydney star Greg Inglis has dropped a bombshell by announcing his plans to retire at the end of the 2020 season, while also confirming 2019 will be his final in the representative arena.

Inglis made the announcement via a video sent out to Rabbitohs members on Friday confirming he'll see out the remaining two years of his contract before hanging up the boots.

"A decision I've made purely on my own and something I've been thinking about in the last two and a half months. At the end of 2020 I'll be hanging up the boots, I'll be giving away the game but staying around this club hopefully for a long time after I retire," he said.

"For the next two years I'll be giving everything I can to this great club. 2019 will be my last representative season therefore next year I'll be solely concentrating on the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

"As this will come as a surprise to a lot of people, I think it's time for me to hang the boots up at the end of my contract."

After being stripped of the Kangaroos captaincy last October when he was charged for drink-driving and speeding offences, Inglis is unlikely to regain the role with 2019 to be his last season of representative football, meaning Roosters skipper Boyd Cordner is set to stay national skipper long term.

The 32-year-old paid tribute to the Rabbitohs and his previous club Melbourne in his message to the fans.

"It's what I've known. I feel like I have given everything I have to the game, and it's given me everything that I have in my life.

"If it wasn't for the Storm I would not have had the chance to fulfil my life's dream.

The best of Greg Inglis' glittering career

"At the Rabbitohs, and as I've grown older, I've become a leader, a captain and a mentor to the current and next generation of young Rabbitohs to wear this proud red and green jersey.

"I've been fortunate enough to represent my country, my state, and my people and those are memories that I will cherish forever."