Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    QLD Cup

What is the hate towards Hipgrave about? I don't get it. I know he does some stupid plays from time to time but at least he gives his everything when he plays. More that could be said for most of the team

Quote Originally Posted by NZFan View Post
    What is the hate towards Hipgrave about? I don't get it. I know he does some stupid plays from time to time but at least he gives his everything when he plays. More that could be said for most of the team
    Agreed, I actually think that he's been really good (when he's been on the field) for us this year. Last season he was dumb and gave away silly penalties but this year he's been more reserved and has used his anger well. I forget what game it was (think vs Broncos) and Lodge clotheslined him. Last year Keegan would have gotten up and gone full Mike Tyson on him but in that instance he got up and got on with the game.

This year in the 7 games he has played he has only made 3 errors and given away 5 penalties. Sure it could be better and he has had limited matches but if he can keep that trend going he will be an awesome bench impact player.

No doubt his injuries are concerning though. Seems like his body is made of glass

Mines more of a Nerang thing. I work in Nerang so I deal with Nerangatangs all the time. Quite a few of my life long friends went to Nerang State school so it's also a dig at them.

If we're going to recall stuff that he did he also took a dive to draw a penalty when we were going to score. Ended up being a scrum feed to the opposition.

On the opposite side to that, he was offered more money ($100k over the term of the contract from memory) at a Sydney club and stayed on the Gold Coast. Agree his penalty count has reduced this year but he is also a marked man as far as refs are concerned. He's the JWH/Fifita of our team. When in doubt.....penalise.

Didn't realise the concussions were an issue, as last I heard it was an ongoing back issue that needed his management.
    Last edited by JunctionBlock; 08-08-19 at 12:32 PM.

Junior

Would any of you keyboard warriors say it to his face though? Why can't NRL players go to university and further their career?

Agree. He is one of the first players picked in my team. Hope he comes through this ok.

I think that there needs to be a point made re Taylor ........ He and the club at this point are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't play him.... Yes he is big money and in hindsight ( At this point ) not living up to that price tag. Do we think for a minute that what would have happened to Ash this year was to happen back when he signed the contract upgrade ???? I think not.... as with any contract you don't sign it under duress etc....and at that point I believe that the Titans and Ash signed the contract in good faith.In saying all this we need to be carful what we say in Social Media as the Suicide Rate in our youth is at an all time high and with Ash not being in a good head space and being bashed on Social is not a great mix.....The club , Ash and the Drs around him may have thought that playing a few games may get the juices going again in some form of treatment .... you don't know until you try.

One key point ... If this was your mate struggling like he is what would you do ??
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    I think that there needs to be a point made re Taylor ........ He and the club at this point are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't play him.... Yes he is big money and in hindsight ( At this point ) not living up to that price tag. Do we think for a minute that what would have happened to Ash this year was to happen back when he signed the contract upgrade ???? I think not.... as with any contract you don't sign it under duress etc....and at that point I believe that the Titans and Ash signed the contract in good faith.In saying all this we need to be carful what we say in Social Media as the Suicide Rate in our youth is at an all time high and with Ash not being in a good head space and being bashed on Social is not a great mix.....The club , Ash and the Drs around him may have thought that playing a few games may get the juices going again in some form of treatment .... you don't know until you try.

One key point ... If this was your mate struggling like he is what would you do ??
    Suicide is a real risk but I believe it is significantly overblown in modern times and is more frequently being used as a cop out. The biggest issue is that we are teaching people to be weak, not to be strong like we used to. I do not agree with avoiding giving warranted criticism simply because we have softened our culture to the point that people are too fragile to accept it, overcome it, and grow stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by ALX25 View Post
    Would any of you keyboard warriors say it to his face though? Why can't NRL players go to university and further their career?
    Why not? If he then decked me he would have proved my point.
    My comment is not a poke at his intelligence.
    If I handed Einstein a chainsaw and asked him to drop a tree I doubt that he could even start it. If Einstein asked me to solve what to him was a simple equation I wouldn't know where to start.
    Neither of us is dumb but it demonstrates that intelligent and smart are two very different things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willhelm View Post
    Suicide is a real risk but I believe it is significantly overblown in modern times and is more frequently being used as a cop out. The biggest issue is that we are teaching people to be weak, not to be strong like we used to. I do not agree with avoiding giving warranted criticism simply because we have softened our culture to the point that people are too fragile to accept it, overcome it, and grow stronger.
    A case in point is all the players that spit the dummy and asked to be released because they are no longer the coaches pet. Not that long ago a player would put his head down and work his backside off to get back into first grade, not ask for a release and run away.

Rep Player

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Why not? If he then decked me he would have proved my point.
    My comment is not a poke at his intelligence.
    If I handed Einstein a chainsaw and asked him to drop a tree I doubt that he could even start it. If Einstein asked me to solve what to him was a simple equation I wouldn't know where to start.
    Neither of us is dumb but it demonstrates that intelligent and smart are two very different things.

- - - Updated - - -

A case in point is all the players that spit the dummy and asked to be released because they are no longer the coaches pet. Not that long ago a player would put his head down and work his backside off to get back into first grade, not ask for a release and run away.
    Yep. I look at blokes like Taylor, Peachey, Ramien and I don't see men; I see spoiled children. The solution to spoiled children is discipline, not giving in to their petulant demands.

QLD Cup

Yep. I look at blokes like Taylor, Peachey, Ramien and I don't see men; I see spoiled children. The solution to spoiled children is discipline, not giving in to their petulant demands.
    I'd rather let players walk that don't want to be here. Discipline only works to a certain extent. I think the situation that Ash is in right now is a lot worse than most people on here, or otherwise, know about. By all accounts he trained the house down over summer and he is still physically fit to play but for whatever reason he is struggling with external pressures. The article released have even said that it has been Titans management that has made that decision, no where does it imply that Taylor asked not to play. I'm not going to crucify the bloke for taking some time out of the game to assess what is important to him. Playing him for the rest of the season would achieve absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I know that there is a lot of anger on this forum after this horrific year but having a crack at a players mental well being and implying that they are using it as a convenient cop-out is going too far I think. It has been well recorded that Taylor reads social media and listens to media speculation about himself, therefore there is every chance that he sees this forum. If the season was on the line then I'd probably be more inclined to get stuck in as well but it's not, it's well gone. Best we just focus on the future.

Rep Player

I'd rather let players walk that don't want to be here. Discipline only works to a certain extent. I think the situation that Ash is in right now is a lot worse than most people on here, or otherwise, know about. By all accounts he trained the house down over summer and he is still physically fit to play but for whatever reason he is struggling with external pressures. The article released have even said that it has been Titans management that has made that decision, no where does it imply that Taylor asked not to play. I'm not going to crucify the bloke for taking some time out of the game to assess what is important to him. Playing him for the rest of the season would achieve absolutely nothing as far as I'm concerned.

I know that there is a lot of anger on this forum after this horrific year but having a crack at a players mental well being and implying that they are using it as a convenient cop-out is going too far I think. It has been well recorded that Taylor reads social media and listens to media speculation about himself, therefore there is every chance that he sees this forum. If the season was on the line then I'd probably be more inclined to get stuck in as well but it's not, it's well gone. Best we just focus on the future.
    To clarify, I'm not suggesting that Ash is faking. I trust the professionals in the club to do the right thing. What I question is whether there were preventative steps that could have been taken (or not taken) in the preceding years. Is the kid gloves approach that clubs have towards players these days, particularly in regards to mental health, having unintended consequences and creating new problems in addition to the ones it solves?

To clarify, I'm not suggesting that Ash is faking. I trust the professionals in the club to do the right thing. What I question is whether there were preventative steps that could have been taken (or not taken) in the preceding years. Is the kid gloves approach that clubs have towards players these days, particularly in regards to mental health, having unintended consequences and creating new problems in addition to the ones it solves?
    I'm with you willhelm. Whilst I do care about Ash's mental health (footy is more than a game) and hope he gets the help he needs to be happy and healthy, unfortunately it's a tough one for us because he's our highest paid player sitting on the sidelines. We are going to be just as poor on the field next year if we have a million bucks missing, especially when it's your halfback.

Unfortunately if the club wants to move forward, and if Ash still can't play next year because of this, then we have to let him go. I'm not saying kick him to the curb, sure help him possibly find another club and look after him with the move, but we can't afford to have a big money player missing for big patches of the season.

Does he get 10 sick days a year? Surely he's used them all up now. Must be eating into his annual leave.

This is why there is animosity and "cry me river" attitude from your average supporter.

If social media is an issue, give it up. If you can't give up social media to save a million dollar career then maybe this isn't the best place for him. Hope he's not online at the moment because he is being torn apart on socials right now.

Rep Player

For me it's not so much about our million dollar man being missing in action (though this is obviously a big problem) but more that I think the newfound wisdom on mental health is ineffective. The way I look at it is fairly simple: you can either reduce the load or strengthen the foundations. I think we're taking the easy way out and reducing the load, but accordingly the foundations are weak so that when the load suddenly and unexpectedly increases, the foundations give way. We understand that with physical health, resistance training is the only way to achieve peak performance. Why do we take the opposite approach to mental health? Ash will not be the last highly talented young fella to crack under the pressure unless the methods change.

It's a weird one though. I remember in the preseason he looked really fit, happy and healthy whereas last year he was bordering on being fat. I had high hopes for him this year in a bottom 8 side but it hasn't come to fruition for whatever reason. I think there's a lot more to Ash's story than simply being a 'sook'.