Default Titans to lean on wisdom of Gillmeister and Johns

Titans coach Garth Brennan will utilise the services of Matthew Johns and Trevor Gillmeister this season as he leaves no stone unturned in his quest to the return the club to the finals.

Gillmeister attended Titans training on Thursday and talks are underway to secure his services on a more regular basis in 2019.

The Queensland legend and dual Broncos premiership winner was a founding Titans assistant coach in 2007 and worked alongside former head coach John Cartwright until 2014.

Gillmeister is highly regarded for his ability to impart his vast defensive knowledge while Knights premiership winner Johns, who is close to Brennan, has worked successfully with the game's leading halves over the years including Cooper Cronk.

Both did consulting work with the Titans last year. Gillmeister may be seen more frequently this season.

"Gilly came down to training to have a look around and have a bit of a chat to me because I wanted to see what his availability was going forward for the year and whether he might be available to come down and do a bit with certain guys like he did last year, or maybe even a little bit more," Brennan told NRL.com.

"Last year he was coming down to do some individual tackle technique with a few guys. It is just good to get an ex-player or a legend like that to give a different voice around the place.

"It is no different to me sending Ash Taylor off to Matty Johns. Even though Matty is not officially with our club he just helps out with another voice.

"I will do that hopefully with Matt again this year with Ash and the halves, similar to what he did last year."

Gillmeister said he had a keen desire to see the Titans succeed and to assist where he could.

"Garth wanted me to have a look at them and I had a meeting with him after training. He's asked me to come on board on a part-time basis with defensive stuff and working with the forwards, so I've just got to weigh up what I've got on," Gillmeister told NRL.com.

"I love the Titans. I have always had a soft spot for the club because I was there from day one when they kicked off their first season. For the sake of the all-round footy dynamics, we need the Titans to be strong."

Gillmeister was impressed with the session he attended on Thursday.

"They definitely look a lot fitter than last year and I thought their sharpness at training looked good considering it was a long session," he said.

"I know their head trainer Dan Ferris very well and he tells me they've trained great, so they are on the road."

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comment...ter_and_johns/

I wouldn't be using Taylor's efforts from last year as a promotion for good practices ... but good to see generally.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.