Default Cartwright training with a ‘freak’ as he pushes for Titans recall

Gold Coast NRL coach Garth Brennan admits there are no guarantees Bryce Cartwright can turn around his defensive woes and finally cement a starting Titans spot in 2019.

But Brennan says the early signs are good that Cartwright has discovered the desire to rectify a nightmare 2018 debut with the Titans when he was slammed for his attitude.

Brennan talked up Cartwright’s chances of featuring this year in the Titans’ back row after the former Penrith star had stood tall at pre-season training.

However, Brennan said Cartwright still had plenty to prove before he named his team for March’s season opener.

“We all know 2018 was very disappointing for Bryce. I am the first to come out and say that,” Brennan told Sky Sports Radio.

“But he is the fittest I have ever seen him. He spent the whole break training with Nathan Peats, who is a freak.

“That doesn’t guarantee it will transfer onto the field but one thing it does show is he is doing everything he possibly can to get ready for 2019.”

Brennan was the first to admit Cartwright’s defence in 2018 wasn’t good enough.

Cartwright’s attitude was summed up by an infamous round-10 incident in which he pulled out of a tackle on Melbourne’s try-bound Cameron Munster, an effort slammed as embarrassing by ex-hard man Mark Carroll.

But Brennan was confident Cartwright was on the right track.

“He just needs to get his head right. He needs to be committed to the other side of the game which is defence and I know he is working hard on that,” he said.

“You can teach blokes to tackle but they have got to want to do it.

“They say ‘D’ is for defence — I say it is for desire.

“People questioned his intent and desire [to tackle] at times last year and rightly so.

“But you watch him train now and you can see the desire is there — he’s absolutely flying.” Brennan hoped the arrival of off-season recruits Tyrone Peachey, Tyrone Roberts and Ryley Jacks also helped solve his other problem — getting a consistent year out of halfback Ash Taylor.

The young playmaker was tipped for Queensland State of Origin honours last year but battled to steer the Titans around the park before they finished third last.

“He learned some tough lessons last year,” Brennan said of Taylor.

“But some quality players around him will be the key and take some pressure off him.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ee43161968defe

“We all know 2018 was very disappointing for Bryce. I am the first to come out and say that,” Brennan told Sky Sports Radio.

Pretty sure we said it first. Just sayin'

Most definitely said first, most often and loudest in the Forum.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Bryce Cartwright is looking to make amends following last season’s shocking performance.

Desperate to atone for a disappointing 2018, Bryce Cartwright admits not putting in enough hard work last year but insists this pre-season has been different at Gold Coast.

A one-time State of Origin contender for his ability to be an x-factor at Penrith, Cartwright arrived at the Titans as one of the club’s biggest signings last February under new coach Garth Brennan.

But he played just 14 games and started only five times in a horror year that included him being dropped in June.

It prompted an early return to training this summer, coming back to the club two weeks before pre-season officially began with Nathan Peats and Ryan James to work on his fitness.

“I just want to move on and not play another year like that again,” Cartwright told reporters on Tuesday.

“I probably took out of it that you can’t turn up and expect things to happen. You have to put in the hard work.

“Last year, I turned up and I got here and got here late and probably didn’t put enough hard work in to set a foundation for myself.

“That’s what I’m trying to do this year — work hard every day and put my best foot forward.”

After playing numerous positions across his career, Cartwright is certain he wants to be a second-rower.

But regaining his spot might not be so easy.

The Titans have bolstered their pack with Shannon Boyd, meaning James might spend some time on the edge in 2019.

Keegan Hipgrave, also impressing last season, has trained this summer alongside James and Cartwright on the left edge.

“That’s why I’m trying to put my best foot forward, training really hard, because there is so much competition here,” Cartwright said.

“A lot of great edge back-rowers here and a lot of good front-rowers. Ryan James might get pushed out to the edge.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...1ada63f24a4262
    Last edited by Menoitios; 16-01-19 at 09:07 AM.