Default Titans hooker Mitch Rein’s stunning form surge in 2018 came as no surprise to the man

MITCH Rein’s stunning form surge in 2018 came as no surprise to the man himself, with the Titans hooker adamant his self-belief has never wavered throughout a topsy-turvy 164-game career.

Seemingly headed for the NRL scrapheap before arriving on the Gold Coast last year, Rein enjoyed a career renaissance to usurp former NSW representative Nathan Peats as the Titans’ first-choice No.9.

The 28-year-old played just five games in his lone season at Penrith in 2017 after making 135 appearances for St George-Illawarra, but increased opportunities north of the border have finally brought out the best in him.

“I thought I was unlucky in the past. I couldn’t get a run when I finished up at Penrith and I was unlucky there I felt,” Rein said.

“I came up here and it didn’t surprise me (how I played) because I trained really hard in pre-season and I’ve always been confident in my ability. I know what I’m capable of, I just need to be given a chance.

“I was happy to be contributing to the team (last year) and get back out there again but I always felt like I had a lot more to offer. I just want to get fitter so I can play more minutes and do whatever the team needs me to do.

“I’ve just got to get through pre-season first. I’ve had a couple of setbacks with a sore back and I rolled my ankle so I’ve just got to get right.”

Rein’s resurgence last year coincided with a dip in form for Peats, who was coming off the high of State of Origin honours in 2017.

But the former expects a more fierce dual for the hooking role in 2019.

“Everyone wants to be out there in the starting team but I’ve just got to keep working hard and if I’m good enough I will be,” Rein said.

“Obviously there’s competition there, there’s competition in lots of spots but that’s just how the game is. I feel like I’ve got a pretty good combination with Ash (Taylor, halfback) but it just comes the more you train with each other and play.

“It definitely makes our side stronger if everyone is competing for different spots so obviously (Peats and I) are competing for a spot and so are a lot of other guys in our team. That’s just how it is, that’s footy.

“I’ve done a heap of hard work now so can’t let it all come undone.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comment...form_surge_in/

Rein really brings speed to the ruck and ensures that the opposition has to stay right in close which should open up opportunities on the outside. I really like Peats but I think going forward Rein has more to offer. I do like that we have genuine competition there though as it should make both players better.

Inactive User

^^^ I don’t want to see them both on the field at the same time again next season unless it’s forced by injury. We are awful when Peats plays a Lock forward role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    ^^^ I don’t want to see them both on the field at the same time again next season unless it’s forced by injury. We are awful when Peats plays a Lock forward role.
    Yep ... I'm happy with either of them but I don't want a hooker at 14 at all and no Matthews either ... perhaps Brimson while he recovers but Roberts is my choice for the utility role or a 4th forward.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Agreed, I have always thought that a reserve hooker was a ridiculous idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Agreed, I have always thought that a reserve hooker was a ridiculous idea.
    Agree as well. When they both were on the field together we had a very small pack of forwards and it was the main one of Brennan's decisions that had me mystified. Really, on form, Peats should have been dropped and Brennan needed to make that tough decision.

I liked the reserve hooker. It was part of the game when we looked good when the fresh legs came on and blasted teams through the middle, just needed the rest of the team to push up with Rein to take advantage. Agreed though, didn't like it when Peats stayed on and went to lock. Hope Peats and Rein keep their spots. Hated it when we were playing Roberts off the bench as all it did was cause confusion in the middle as they three play makers tried to out do each other.