Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

I only have two fears for today. One is that we will lose this mini GF, hopefully not. The other is that my car, which will be parked at the train station will be under one of the possible severe storms that are predicted. It's not long repaired from hail damage.
    In relation to the mini GF, if we want to play finals we must beat the sides that are around the same standard as us, especially at home. Looking forward to it.

Inactive User

I’m not declaring today a mini GF but a loss today and I won’t be far off declaring an upcoming game one already. Be a massive disappointment and Brennan will be under the pump if we do get done. Titans fans put up with too much crap from our team. Get the job done and get us a win at home.

Is there any news on Taylor??

I really can’t see round 1 being a make or break, sorry. I mean, take a look at the Cowboys run a few years ago. It’s a long season.

I would much prefer the game not be played in rain, though am still confident either way.

Looking forward to it with poncho packed.

Inactive User

Is there a Curtain Raiser Game today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Is there a Curtain Raiser Game today?
    There is a junior game u13 I think
    #itaintweaktospeak

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    There is a junior game u13 I think
    Thanks TP....I have plenty of respect for the kids playing footy but that’s not the news I was hoping to hear.
    Better than a game of Touch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Thanks TP....I have plenty of respect for the kids playing footy but that’s not the news I was hoping to hear.
    Better than a game of Touch though.
    If they are 2 of the better sides running around they can surprise you to their skill levels are Mcdrew will have a better idea about them but I do hear what you are saying

- - - Updated - - -

With Rein starting for Tweed we can be sure Taylor is over his injuries
    #itaintweaktospeak

Immortal

The 13 boys playing today, it would be fair to say are some of the best running round on the Coast and what a big thrill for them and their families, more than a few were wearing Titans jersey's at Mudgeeraba in February

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    If they are 2 of the better sides running around they can surprise you to their skill levels are Mcdrew will have a better idea about them but I do hear what you are saying

- - - Updated - - -

With Rein starting for Tweed we can be sure Taylor is over his injuries

Inactive User

Mitch Rein playing for Tweed.
    So if Taylor isn’t playing then Copley must be the one that comes into the team.

Oops just noticed TP beat me to the news on Rein.
    Copley didn’t play QCup so I wouldn’t be 100% sure Taylor is playing yet.

Double Oops-Copley has already been cut, it was Hipgrave and Rein that survived the first cut and Hipgrave is playing for Tweed too so I guess that does mean Taylor is right to go.

I wonder why Copley played no footy this weekend then?
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 17-03-19 at 12:33 PM.

Slimmed down Shannon Boyd looks to win back Roos jersey
    https://www.couriermail.com.au/

A slimmed down Shannon Boyd is bracing for an explosive showdown with his former Canberra teammates as the Gold Coast Titans’ star signing revealed his desire to win back a Kangaroos jersey.

Boyd will make his Titans debut against his former club at Cbus Super Stadium today when the Gold Coast kicks off its 2019 NRL campaign against the Raiders.

Boyd is the fittest he has ever been after stripping down to an intimidating 126kg, making him one of the biggest front rowers in the NRL.

Titans coach Garth Brennan has been blown away by Boyd’s physical presence, claiming he is 100kg of pure muscle.

Boyd, 27, said he was ready to relaunch his career at the Titans and a brutal clash with the Raiders was his first mission.

“I’m a little bit nervous, I’ve got to perform for the club being a new signing,” Boyd told The Sunday Mail.

“I think Sia (Soliola) probably will (come after me). We are good mates but he always puts a challenge out there. I’d say he will try and get me.

“I reckon they will all try to get one on me for a laugh but I’ll also try to go after a few of the boys as well.”

Boyd secured a $2 million four-year deal with the Titans as one of Brennan’s big name recruits for 2019.

He played 111 NRL games for the Raiders after debuting in 2014 and made four Test appearances for the Kangaroos in 2016.

But Boyd’s form dipped over the past two years and he only averaged 35 minutes a game last year, prompting him to look elsewhere to revitalise his career.

“I got a bit complacent and relaxed,” Boyd admitted.

“I got too heavy and made it a bit harder on myself. I needed a freshen up with my career.

“Garth sounded really good when I talked to him and he’s done a good job with the squad he’s been building. I can see the club going somewhere.

“I’m in the best shape I’ve been in my career. I feel really good and hopefully that can come out in my footy and I can play rep again.

“It wasn’t really my choice to play those minutes, it’s how the interchange was at Canberra.

“Hopefully Garth gives me the chance to play a few more minutes. I’ve done it before and there’s no reason I can’t do it.

“I’d love to play 45-50 minutes a game but I need to be effective. I’m more about bending the line and making an impact rather than playing so many minutes.”

He made an eye-catching 20-minute performance in the Titans’ trial loss to Brisbane before being sidelined with a hand injury and will start in the front row alongside Queensland Origin prop Jarrod Wallace today.

Brennan said he had been blown away by Boyd’s physical presence and dedication to training.

“We did some scans and he barely has an ounce of fat on him, he is 100kg of just straight out muscle, that’s just phenomenal,” he said.

“I have never seen anyone with his muscle and size in the NRL. For a big guy he has a good motor and just keeps going.

“He was 130kg which is massive and he is getting around the field a bit better which is great. He is now back to the weight he was at when he played for Australia.

“I said to Shannon ‘mate you need to be 126kg or I won’t pick you in the team’. That’s the mindset I want for the players in the squad.”

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga, now on the Titans payroll, said Boyd could have a huge impact on the Gold Coast.

“Shannon can have a real influence on the success of the Titans,” he said.

“I gave him his first Test jumper. He is a huge body, he is one of the biggest men I have seen play the game.

“He lost his way a bit at the Raiders but he’s got a pretty good motor for a big man and he has been very good in his attitude since he’s come to the Titans.

“He’s definitely representative quality. I hope he can get back to his best form because if he does, it will make the Titans a better team.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Envious as hell of everyone getting into their pre-match day rituals.

I'm keen to see how Peachey goes, he is the type of player I enjoy watching in out game and I'm happy he has seemed to settle in. AJ's impact and where and how he comes in. See if the addition of Roberts helps Ash with his game. And see how Boyd goes against his old club.

Overall I'm more confident than several past seasons.

It's show time.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Boyd, Cartwright focused on restoring trust
    https://www.nrl.com/

Titans recruit Shannon Boyd carries the tag of being a "former" Kangaroo.

Bryce Cartwright has been weighed down by the expectation that comes from being a member of Penrith's first family of rugby league and a mix of size and talent that made hard work an optional extra.

Both men begin the 2019 season with something to prove.

At 194cm and more than 120kg, Boyd is literally the biggest off-season signing in Titans history and will be charged with laying a platform in the middle of the field.

He was part of the Raiders pack that tore into the Gold Coast middles in the corresponding game 12 months ago and has spent the past three months trying to prove he can be even better on the Gold Coast.

The 26-year-old weighed in at 133kg at times during the 2018 season but will start this season around the 125kg mark, a playing weight far closer to that which convinced Mal Meninga to select him for the 2016 Four Nations tournament.

"Big Country" has ripped into his first pre-season at a club other than Canberra desperate to prove his worth but knows he won't earn the full trust of his new teammates until he delivers in the field of battle.

"That trust will come more so in games," Boyd told NRL.com.

"I need to start the season well and play some good footy for the boys, make sure that they know I’m going to do my job.

"It's easy to do it on the training paddock. You can be the best trainer in the world but you might not be the best player when you run out there.

“I’ve got to go out there and prove myself in that sense as well."

In his only pre-season appearance for the Titans, Boyd played little more than 20 minutes against the Broncos, spared a second stint due to fears of a broken hand from being stepped on.

In order to play that game, Boyd had to fly back from Canberra on the Saturday morning after serving as best man at a friend's wedding and then drive down from Brisbane.

"I would have liked to have played the second half but we had a bit of a hiccup with my hand so I didn't go back on just as a precaution," Boyd said.

"I felt good when I came off, like I could have gone 25-30 minutes, which is pretty good for me in a trial building into round one.

"I'm probably a couple of kilos under where I have been the last couple of years and feel a lot quicker getting up off the ground.

"Everything in general I'm feeling a little bit better about so hopefully that will show in my football."

Cartwright also began pre-season with a point to prove.

So disappointed was he with his performances in 2018 that Cartwright sought out Titans fitness sadist Nathan Peats to jump-start his 2019 campaign.

Before coach Garth Brennan called all his players back for training, Cartwright and Peats worked together at Pizzey Park in Burleigh to lay a base from which to build from.

Still, at 24, Cartwright's physical transformation over summer has been noticeable and it has transferred to eye-catching pre-season trial performances.

Yes, there was a customary Cartwright flick pass that cost his side a try against the Cowboys and there was a defensive miss for which he was maligned last season but his 80 minutes against the Broncos was virtually faultless.

He flattened Brisbane tyro David Fifita in the opening minutes, ran hard and distributed the Steeden void of mistakes, those behind the walls at the Titans convinced it was his best display in club colours.

Brennan had no choice but to pick him in the team for round one and now he intends to prove to his teammates that he deserves to stay there.

"I felt like I let them down a lot last year.

"I wanted to come back to pre-season first day and show them that I can be the player that I know I can.

"I just had to start off by putting in the effort at training and showing them that I can do it. Now it’s time for me to put that into the game."

It is PI$$ing down at my place

Im wanting to leave but holy sh1t!!

Anyone at the stadium ?

More than pi$$ing down mate. I have lived at Merrimac (1klm as the crow flies from the stadium) and if we had the storm 1 hour later the game would have been called off. Absolute shocker. Thunder and lightning, very very frightening...

PS. My man cave is now a pool room.

Taylor out, AJ into 5/8 and Copley onto the bench
    Last edited by ozynorts; 17-03-19 at 04:18 PM.