Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Round 1: TITANS vs RAIDERS (2019)

TITANS vs RAIDERS
    5:10pm, Sunday, 17 March 2019 - CBUS SUPER STADIUM
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

The countdown begins
    #itaintweaktospeak

Cant come quick enough

Big Shannon should be pumped for this one! Me too!!!! Bring it on

I think a bit of a count down adds the the expectation. I can't wait. I'm already really missing the footy.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Bring on the footy since cricket in this country has become a joke.

Default Gold Coast Titans: 2019 Round 1 predicted team

Things never quite clicked for the Gold Coast in 2018 and Garth Brennan will want the squad to figure things out sooner rather than later in 2019.

The biggest question marks are over what to do with breakout star AJ Brimson, who must be in the starting side, and which of three viable options will start at five-eighth alongside Ash Taylor.

There is a chance veteran fullback Michael Gordon could be the odd man out if young gun Brimson is retained at fullback rather than reverting to five-eighth, where recruits Tyrone Peachey, Ryley Jacks and the returning Tyrone Roberts are also options to partner Taylor.

Peachey is also an option at centre, where Dale Copley, Brenko Lee and the returning Brian Kelly are already competing for two spots.Gordon can also play wing, though Anthony Don and Phillip Sami are settled there. Ex-Raiders prop Shannon Boyd bolsters what is now an all-representative starting pack.

Resident NRL.com expert Jamie Soward says:

"I would leave AJ Brimson at fullback and start Tyrone Roberts at five-eighth. The decision for Garth Brennan is does he put Tyrone Peachey on the bench or play him in the centres. The five-eighth role, Peach can handle it and will probably get first crack but Ash Taylor needs an experienced guy outside him and his record with Tyrone Roberts is really good.

"Their forward pack is in the best five or six in the comp but they look skinny out the back so maybe Peachey goes to the centres for Dale Copley, someone like that. Michael Gordon, I think realises he's a back up option these days, Brimson has shown he's capable of handling fullback and those two guys on the wing can handle it."

NRL.com's predicted Round 1 team:

1.AJ Brimson
    2.Anthony Don
    3.Dale Copley
    4.Brian Kelly
    5.Phillip Sami
    6.Tyrone Peachey
    7.Ash Taylor
    8.Shannon Boyd
    9.Nathan Peats
    10.Jarrod Wallace
    11.Kevin Proctor
    12.Ryan James
    13.Jai Arrow
    14.Mitch Rein
    15.Moeaki Fotuaika
    16.Keegan Hipgrave
    17.Will Matthews

Other squad members: Jesse Arthars, Morgan Boyle, Bryce Cartwright, Michael Gordon, Ryley Jacks, Max King, Leilani Latu, Brenko Lee, Tyrone Roberts, Jack Stockwell, Jai Whitbread

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/30/...redicted-team/

Left-field selection options available to Gold Coast Titans for 2019 NRL season
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

THE NRL season is inching closer and with it comes intrigue about how each team will take the field in Round 1.

With the Gold Coast vastly improving their roster depth, questions are aplenty about how Garth Brennan may construct his 17.

We’re sure to see some left-field selections by the 16 NRL coaches at some point throughout the season so to get in the spirit, the Bulletin looks at five gambles the Titans could take that might just work.

TYRONE PEACHEY TO FULLBACK

Brennan last week declared AJ Brimson will play five-eighth, so perhaps it’s worth considering who could put some pressure on Michael Gordon if the goal-kicking veteran is struggling to make a dent from the back.

Peachey is arguably the game’s most versatile player and lined up in the No.1 jersey for Penrith on four occasions in 2018, including scoring a double in a win over Canberra.

Peachey has a dangerous running game and good ball skills, which could make him an interesting proposition for the custodian role – not to mention the fact Dale Copley and Brian Kelly could capably cover the centre spots.

BRYCE CARTWRIGHT TO RIGHT SECOND-ROW

Cartwright undoubtedly has played his best footy on the right edge of the field and second-row is best suited to him, allowing him to chime in without the playmaking pressures of a halves gig.

The problem is that specific position at the Gold Coast has been occupied by Kiwi international Kevin Proctor in recent years.

It could be a worthwhile experiment to shift Proctor to another role, just to see if it could unlock Cartwright’s massive potential.

MITCH REIN TO STARTING HOOKER

Many Titans fans believed Rein outpointed Nathan Peats in his first season at Parkwood.

Rein is a dynamic runner out of dummy-half and a busy defender but has generally been preferred as a supersub, with former NSW Origin player Peats given the starting duties.

If Rein continues to shine, however, it might be worth giving him increased game time to get the team rolling through the middle of the field.

RYAN JAMES TO SECOND-ROW

OK, this is not a total gamble given that James played his fair share of second-row last year.

James has tended to look more comfortable in the middle of the park but he does possess a running game that could test opposition edges – and such a move would allow Brennan to squeeze him, Jarrod Wallace, Shannon Boyd and Jai Arrow all into the starting team.

MOEAKI FOTUAIKA TO STARTING PROP

Fotuaika enjoyed a brilliant rookie season last year, making 16 appearances, mostly off the bench.

The 19-year-old matched it with the game’s biggest and best props and never took a backward step.

If he continues on that path, perhaps we could see him sneak into the starting side to allow Shannon Boyd to explode in an impact role off the bench?

I honestly can't wait for the trials, even though they'll probably just add to the selection headache. I hope everyone fires and GB can't decide who to name for round 1. What a wonderful dilemma that would be!!

Raiders: Croker set for return from injury in trials
    https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/08/...ury-in-trials/

Titans stars urge Brennan to unleash Moeaki Fotuaika
    https://www.nrl.com/

Player power is piling the pressure on Garth Brennan to pick 19-year-old front-rower Moeaki Fotuaika in his starting team when Gold Coast open their season against the Raiders.

Little more than 12 months ago, Fotuaika was on a six-week train-and-trial contract that was first upgraded to a development deal and then ultimately, what at the time, seemed an extraordinary four-year contract.

He went on to play 16 NRL games last season and has continued to impress senior players to the extent that captain Ryan James has touted the Tongan powerhouse as a future leader of the club.

Brennan saw the impact the teen tyro had when he handed him his NRL debut in round nine last year and knows he will have a hard time keeping him out of his side for the March 17 season opener.

“The thing that has blown me away has been the reaction of the players around him,” the Titans coach told NRL.com.

“They love him. When it was announced on the bus on our way to Canberra last year that he was going to be making his debut, the roar on the bus was unlike anything I’d ever seen before.

“Players were jumping over him and cuddling him. We’re talking about senior players like Ryan James, Nathan Peats and Kevin Proctor.

“For them to be so excited to see this young kid make his debut and the way they embrace him at training sums up the aura the kid has. Players just want to play with him; they want him in the team.

He’s a real humble kid and the players just love playing with him

Titans coach Garth Brennan
    “There’s no bigger accolade you can get from anyone. You can get Dally M medals and all those sorts of things but to me the greatest accolade you can get in rugby league is players love playing with you.

“He’s really pushing hard for a starting spot. That’s a big 12 months from a kid that was a train and triallist looking for an opportunity.”

Entering his second year as standalone captain, James recently attended a leadership seminar conducted by the RLPA where basketball legend Andrew Bogut was a guest presenter.

He is adamant that the quietly spoken product of Keebra Park High School has the qualities necessary to one day captain the club.

“I reckon Moeaki could be a leader of the future,” James said.

“He does everything right. He trains hard, works hard.

“He doesn’t have much of a voice but everything he does with his actions shows that he wants to be here and contribute to the success of the club in future.”

Brennan says the club should be immensely proud of Fotuaika’s graduation into the top grade.

“It’s been a whirlwind considering where he’s come from the past 12 months,” said Brennan.

“He gives everything he can every time. That’s what I’ve noticed about him above anything else. He gives everything he’s got every time, every drill, every time he’s asked to do something.

“He doesn’t say much Moe. He leads with his actions and what he does on the training paddock.

“He’s a real success story for the Gold Coast Titans. He was behind David Fifita and Payne Haas at Keebra Park, always playing second fiddle to them but he has come out and grabbed his opportunity.

“He’s a real humble kid, he just goes about his business and the players just love playing with him.

“He’s been a revelation.”

Team list Tuesday. Can't wait. Footy's back!!!!

How good is it to see TLT back. Can't wait to see the teamlist Garth trots out, not expecting any surprises. Just as long as guys like Matthews and Stockwell don't feature in our top 17. Hoping for:

1. Gords
    2. Sami
    3. Kelly
    4. Peach
    5. Lee
    6. Roberts
    7. Ash
    8. Wall
    9. Peats
    10. Boyd
    11. James
    12. Proctor
    13. Arrow
    14. Brimson
    15. King (I hope to god he is picked and not forgotten after the injury last year)
    16. Mo
    17. Carty

18. Don
    19. Jacks
    20. Hipgrave

Bring on Sunday! The best part of the year is upon us lads

Titans vs Raiders
    Sunday, 17 March
    Cbus Super Stadium
    5:10pm (QLD time)

1. Michael Gordon

2. Brenko Lee

3. Tyrone Peachey

4. Brian Kelly

5. Phillip Sami

6. Tyrone Roberts

7. Ash Taylor

8. Jarrod Wallace

9. Nathan Peats

10. Shannon Boyd

11. Kevin Proctor

12. Ryan James ©

13. Jai Arrow

14. Alexander Brimson

15. Moeaki Fotuaika

16. Max King

17. Bryce Cartwright

18. Mitch Rein

19. Dale Copley

20. Anthony Don

21. Keegan Hipgrave

Inactive User

This is just my opinion
    Great to see James in the 2nd Row (thrilled)
    Would have preferred Brimson at FB and Gordon on a Wing, Lee Centre, Peachey 5-8 and Roberts on the bench
    Not sure I like Cartwright being given a spot in the 17 straight away
    Also I’m over the moon we don’t have both Peats/Rein in the 17. I don’t want to ever see them both on the field together again.

I’m sure the team will evolve.
    Let’s see our team fired up and go hard on Sunday (in recent years our first 30mins of the season has been ugly)