Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan says young gun AJ Brimson is no guarantee of playing in the Titans’ NRL season opener against Canberra after off-season surgery.

And even when he’s ready, Brennan admits he has no idea where to play the 2018 revelation.

Brimson is recovering from a shoulder operation but had been hopeful of featuring in the Gold Coast’s final trial against Brisbane at Robina on March 2.

Brennan said the jury was out despite the livewire utility back impressing upon their pre-season return on Monday.

“I am not going to rush him, he is too important,” Brennan said.

“I will give him every opportunity to be right for round one.

“He is flying at the moment. If he gets through the Broncos trial unscathed and there is no risk whatsoever then I will consider him for round one.

“But he has to get over a few hurdles yet before he gets to that stage.”

Then there’s the small matter of where to use Brimson once he gets on the paddock.

The 20-year-old impressed at fullback for the Titans last season but is expected to compete with new recruits Tyrone Peachey, Tyrone Roberts and Ryley Jacks for the five-eighth role in 2019.

Asked if he knew who would combine in the halves with No.7 Ash Taylor next year, Brennan said: “No idea.”

“But there’s two trials yet. There’s going to be some positions up for grabs and it may not be finalised until that last trial.

“But that’s pleasing for me as a coach, knowing that there is some real competition for spots.

“And the players are aware of that as well. They understand that there are no walk-up starts at the Gold Coast Titans.”

The Titans — who finished third-last in 2018 with eight wins — play their NRL season opener against the Raiders on March 17 at home.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...c1b21bbb5875be