Default Brenko Lee reveals his Gold Coast Titans wake up call

FIVE weeks of getting up at 4am to do extra preseason training was the wake up call Brenko Lee needed to ensure he was ready to push his case for a State of Origin debut next year.

The Gold Coast Titans centre was named in Queensland’s Emerging State of Origin squad earlier this month for the third time, but not before having to prove he was up to scratch at club level.

Lee failed his skinfold test by 5mm before the Titans began preseason training on November 5 and the near miss cost him with extra work being added to his program to get him up to scratch.

It meant the 23-year-old was forced to leave his Logan home before sunrise to make the journey south to the Titans Parkwood base where he would join the “extras club”.

“It was a big wake up call,” Lee said.

“We had three targets to make in testing and I missed my skinfolds by 5mm. It was annoying but I had to do the work.

“We would start at 6am and do a bike session for 45 minutes before doing the work with the rest of the group.”

Lee was given the all clear in mid-December that he had reached his target and at 99kg the young Titan said consistency would keep him on track in the new year.

Lee said he was honoured to make the Emerging Origin Squad alongside Titans teammates Ash Taylor, AJ Brimson and Phillip Sami.

“It’s one of those things you can’t take for granted,” Lee said.

“The Emerging Origin camps are special to be part of because you know you’re a door away from mixing it with the big boys. I soak it all in at the camps and enjoy every minute of it.

“You get a real sense in camp what it’s like to represent Queensland. It’s the pinnacle of the sport really. Growing up as a kid I remember when they lost you wouldn’t go to school on Thursday or Friday because you were crying about the loss.”

Lee watched fellow squad member Jai Arrow made his senior debut for Queensland in 2018 and he felt ready to do the same.

“Anything is possible,” Lee said.

“Jai had a phenomenal first couple of months of footy (in 2018) and took his opportunity with both hands. (Coach) Kevy (Walters) didn’t hesitate to pick him.

“My first priority is putting my best foot forward with the Titans and doing whatever they need and if happens it happens. If not then so be it.”

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...cf482a2cd40ac0

^^^^
    When I started reading this article in the Bully yesterday I thought it would be about the struggles he has making the Titans team. By the end it was about him possibly making the Origin team. In shock I spilled my coffee all down the front of me. He is a long way from being a decent NRL player let alone rep stuff.

Inactive User

^^^^
    The try bloody Hayne scored against him last year where he dragged him 7m across the try line says it all about him

It's a funny old game....rugby league. If you look at the stats for 2017....out of the 51 centres that played, Brenko finished in 22nd spot. That put him ahead of the likes of Peachey in 29th, Koni in 33rd and Copley in last place....51st.

They were averaged from games played, trys caused and an overall average trys caused.

I like all of our centres! I can also see what Walters sees in him. Hoefully we'll all see an even more improved Lee next year!

I think with early ball he looks fine. As Taylor went off the boil so did Lee and Don. His defence needs work to challenge anybody at any level.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.