Default Peachey: Titans will shock a lot of people in 2019

New Gold Coast Titans recruit Tyrone Peachey insists the club will "shock a lot of people" in 2019 after detailing how he would not have made the move from the Panthers without being convinced he was joining a finals-bound side.

The NSW Blues star has joined a side that contains players with Origin or Test experience such as Shannon Boyd, Kevin Proctor, Jarrod Wallace and Jai Arrow and is confident that halfback Ash Taylor has the goods to lead the Titans into the top eight.

Peachey spoke of the key reason he joined the club at Gold Coast University Hospital after joining several teammates to deliver Christmas presents to sick children through the Titans' partnership with Ronald McDonald House.

"I knew there were a lot of good players up here – a few Origin players and internationals – so I didn't want to go to a club that is not going to compete for the top eight and hopefully make the [grand] final next year," Peachey said.

"I have a lot of confidence this team is going to do very well. Since I've come here and seen the boys train and the way they go about football I have full confidence we are going to shock a lot of people.

"For such a young bloke [Ash Taylor] is so smart and his kicking game is ridiculous. He's got a good footy head. There are a few things he needs to work on, which he has been doing this off-season, so I expect a big year from him and hopefully he can take us to the finals."

Peachey's arrival has given coach Garth Brennan plenty of options.

I didn't want to go to a club that is not going to compete for the top eight

The 27-year-old played centre, fullback, five-eighth and off the bench for the Panthers in 2018.

Those changes were often brought about due to injuries to key players in the Penrith spine.

Centre is a position in which the Titans have an abundance of choice with Brian Kelly, Dale Copley and Brenko Lee the leading candidates. Five-eighth is also up for grabs with Brennan still to settle on a partner for Ash Taylor. Tyrone Roberts, AJ Brimson and Ryley Jacks will be in the mix, as will Peachey.

As to the answer to the question of where Peachey's best position is, the former Panther joked with NRL.com that it was "the unanswerable".

"I've been training at left centre and a bit at five-eighth," Peachey said.

"I don't know what is going to happen. There is a long way to round one but the way it has been going I've been training at centre so probably I'll play there.

"I have a lot of confidence in myself that whatever position I play I can do the best job for the Titans.

“If [playing five-eighth] is best for the team in round one then I am happy to do it but we have a lot of good halves here I think can do the job. Ash is a great player but they do need a five-eighth up here and everyone is competing."

After touring New Zealand with the Kangaroos, Peachey was not expected back at Titans training until December but turned up mid-November off his own bat.

"I didn't know the boys or any of the systems so I wanted to come back and get to know all the boys and get the season started so I can be right for round one," he said.

"[Brennan] has brought a lot of things from Penrith so I didn’t have to learn too much ... so with the names of plays and defensive systems it was a lot easier to transfer to a new club."

Peachey, who has a young daughter Penelope, said the hospital visit to lift the spirits of ill children was a rewarding experience.

"It is good to give back and help make their Christmas better," he said.

"It is a great concept that the Titans are doing, to come and help families with sick kids. We gave them presents and a lot of Titans stuff so hopefully they become Titans fans.

"This will be my first Christmas with my little one and I'd hate for her to be sick."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/12/...eople-in-2019/

Anybody else starting to like this guy?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

It was always a matter of just getting him up here. Once here how can you not love being a citizen of our glorious community

He bodyboards and not surfs, that's the only problem I have with him so far haha

Lol 66 ... walk before you run ... those Sharkies know nothing
    Last edited by Titanic; 13-12-18 at 05:11 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Rep Player

Peachy will be good for us. Most of the bad blood stems from his management and the carry on from a grub like Ayoub. Going to be one of our greats and around for a long time I reckon