Default Flashback: Gold Coast Chargers NRL side are terminated at 1998 meeting

Gold Coast History: Gold Coast Chargers NRL side are terminated at 1998 meeting

Photos: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...429790727497c9

IT’S BEEN a big week of news for the Gold Coast’s NRL side.

The Gold Coast Bulletin exclusively revealed the Gold Coast Titans had secretly developed a plan to develop a leagues club at Oxenford.

In the pipeline for two years, this project is seen as a big step towards ensuring the football club’s future by creating a new revenue stream and giving it something most other teams enjoy.

The news came 20 years after the axe finally fell on the Gold Coast’s first national rugby league side – the Chargers.

The team had lasted just 10 years in the competition before it was axed as part of a reorganisation of the NRL following the Super League wars which saw unsuccessful sides dumped to cut the number of clubs down to 14.

The end of the Chargers was announced just two days after the Adelaide Rams were terminated.

Gold Coast Chargers captain Jamie Goddard after hearing the bad news.
    But there were no tears as the end came for the Coast team, according to reports of the day – just anger.

Australian Rugby League chief executive David Barnhill, who had been brought in as the club’s interim chairman two months earlier said the club had faced a difficult 1999 season had it not been dumped.

The decision was made at a board meeting of the club’s executives before the contracted players and 10 administrative staff were told of their fate.

There was a sometimes hostile meeting held with the players and staff at Carrara Stadium’s ‘The Legends Bar’ before an announcement was made to the public.

Barnhill told media the following day he had not slept after the boardroom meeting.

“Anyone who knows me realises I have a genuine passion for rugby league and this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do,’’ he said.

“Even my wife is dirty on me over this.

Chargers staff Peter Armstrong and Les Jones after hearing the devastating news.
    “I can assure you the directors pursued every possible avenue to retain a place in the NRL after 1999. But after considering the criteria for 2000 the board resolved to withdraw from the 1999 premiership.

“The board discussed all issues including crowds, sponsors, performance, the absence of a licensed club and the NRL’s attitude to two rules _ the salary cap and the anti-poaching rules.

“We had criteria to meet in 2000, and at this time we can meet that criteria. That may not have been the case next year.”

The club had fell victim to “football terrorism” according to Chargers coach Phil Economidis while prop Clinton O’Brien called the move a mercy killing.

David Barnhill admitted his wife was unhappy with him over the decision.
    The board was told that the club was not being wound up and that it could continue to operate in the Gold Coast’s Group 18 competition but that it would be excluded from the NRL.

It was also told that if the competition was revamped with a second southeast Queensland team that the Chargers would be given a chance to play.

“The directors weighed up all the options and CEO Peter Armstrong and local directors Bill Carroll and Ray Murray used all their skill and knowledge to retain the club,’’ Barnhill said.

Ultimately the Chargers never got the chance to play on - the club was eventually wound up.

A new NRL side, the Titans rejoined the competition in 2007 and have made three finals appearances.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I remember these days well. They are etched into my memory and I feel seething rage about it. And that is a big part of why I am a Titans fan, spent years in the NRL wilderness and why I am no longer a Broncos supporter.

Our fans must understand our history.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Totally right DH, those were turbulent times and the scars have never healed.

I have lived through all the GC reincarnations and the highjacking of the BRL by the Broncos which then guaranteed the eventual demise at the top level of such iconic brands as Wests Panthers, Valleys Diehards and dare I say it the Fish ... sorry I meant Brothers Leprechauns.

In typing this it occurs to me to remind everybody that the highjacking of the BRL turned into the attempted coup of the ARL by the very same Broncos mob led by the skinny sphincter himself.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Yep reading that thread and comments brings back all the rage. It’s not only the hurt of being killed off but thinking of all those years that we had no team and an entire generation that we lost as GC fans who are bloody Drongoes Supporters who grew up here.
    Guys in their 20s mainly.