Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Gold Coast Titans plan multimillion dollar leagues club development at Oxenford

A multimillion-dollar Gold Coast Titans leagues club will be built on city owned land in a bold deal to secure the NRL side’s financial future.

The plan, developed under top-secret conditions for more than two years, was revealed in an explosive confidential email sent to Gold Coast city leaders last night by council chief executive Dale Dickson

The leaked email reveals the club want to build a 2500 sqm licenced community club on a 22,000 sq m site at Oxenford Park bordering the M1.

Artist impression of Gold Coast Titans community leagues club. Picture: Supplied by Gold Coast Titans

“The Gold Coast Titans have approached the City with a request to lease or purchase a city owned parcel of land located at Oxenford for the purpose of constructing and operating a licenced community club,” Mr Dickson wrote.

“Following representations from the Titans, the city has made an ‘in principle’ offer to lease the land, subject to a number of preconditions being met,” Mr Dickson wrote.

The Gold Coast City Council land at Oxenford where the club would be built.

“Financially, a community club would provide a platform for the Titans to continue, enhance and expand the reach of the club’s community programs, while also providing some financial relief to the football operations.

Gold Coast Council CEO Dale Dickson. Photo: Jerad Williams

“It would also provide a community hub for members, fans and guests of the Titans and Gold Coast residents and visitors.”

A development application will be made to the council in coming weeks, with a report expected to go before councillors in March.

If approved by council, it is expected to be ready for the 2021 season, with the club requiring two years for construction and to secure liquor and gaming machine licences.

Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)

Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly last night confirmed the plans to the Gold Coast Bulletin and said it would be based on the same model as that of the North Queensland Cowboys — a separate football and community club.

“A community club was an integral part of the case we presented to the NRL as a sustainable model for the Titans. The Titans still makes small loses while investing over $2 million into community and junior development projects,” he said.

Mal Meninga joined the Titans in November. (AAP Image/Darren England)

“The owners want to continue and hopefully grow that involvement and we believed that those objects fitted well within the community club objectives.

It should be pointed out that although Titans programs will be central to the community club the constitution and also the community club directors will also be focused on becoming integrated into the local community and support local sporting, cultural clubs and local charities.”

Mr Kelly said the facility would create 80 new jobs.

News of the proposed facility caps off a big month for the club after the duel signings of rugby league immortal Mal Meninga as head of performance and culture and new chief executive Steve Mitchell.

The team will continue to play at Cbus Super Stadium at Robina. Picture: JERAD WILLIAMS

Any community lease agreement reached by the club and council would be a similar to those in place with Burleigh Bears Rugby League Football Club at Pizzey Park, Broadbeach Bowls and Community Club and Kurrawa Surf Life Saving Club.

Mr Dickson noted in his email that there was a range of key issues to consider including social and financial aspects as well s the loss of recreational space.

Council staff have already begun a preliminary assessment of these impacts as well as developing a masterplan for the Oxenford park site, which is used by the Oxenford Men’s Shed, Coomera-Hope Island Cricket Club and local schools.

Source; herald sun

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see the back of house become a stronger focal point this year. With a leagues club for northern titans fans I hope we can link up with Burleigh Bears and strengthen the affiliation for southern GC fans. Wonder if there will be a dedicated northern rivers hub in a few years too?

Seriously our back of house improvements have been the best thing about this offseason

Inactive User

Oxenford!!!

Great news, finally a Leagues club.
    Have to agree TOken, the back of house really seems to be kicking goals this off season, so good to see.

Great stuff

Again

Inactive User

I don’t know about the location. It could well lose money out there.
    I’m so behind us having a Leagues Club on face value it’s massive but Oxenford???
    Gee-I dont know.

Bodsie I live at Hope Island when not in China and know that site very well ... a real growth area.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Wow!! Great news. We are so on the up......

How's membership going?? Next year is going to be a ripper!!!

#lovin'thetitans

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Bodsie I live at Hope Island when not in China and know that site very well ... a real growth area.
    Bodsie. I agree with Titanic. The Northern part of the Coast has some of the largest growth in residential and commercial developments in the Country , so long term it makes business sense. It maybe a similar set up like the Brisbane Lions and their club is in Springwood.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    I don’t know about the location. It could well lose money out there.
    I’m so behind us having a Leagues Club on face value it’s massive but Oxenford???
    Gee-I dont know.
    Oxenford is just down from Coomera which is a massive growth area. Lets face it this is all about getting people to play the pokies so you might as well put it where population density is high and growing. I would have preferred that they just expanded something at Parkwood but that is just down from Sharks and would not be viable.

I'll just caution by saying there are many big Leagues clubs in Sydney with masses of pokies but they do not give a dollar to the League team. Pokies in pubs and the amount of other gambling now has made it hard for them. However Parra and Penrith Leagues rake it in so in the right socio economic areas, they work.

I've been in to the Cowboys Leagues Club many times and I reckon it's really good if we are basing on their model. But it just looks like a Leagues club to me.

Inactive User

Thanks for the reassurances gents
    When I’ve lived locally I’ve always been on the Tweed or Southern end of GC so to get some reassurance from people on the Northern end is valuable.
    Last edited by Mr Bods; 01-12-18 at 06:25 PM.

The other thing about that area is that it's predominantly permanent residents, young families and a strong junior league zone ... I think JB might even argue that it should be even further north near the new Westfield. They are even getting a new school amongst other things.
    Last edited by Titanic; 01-12-18 at 06:32 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

The other thing about that area is that it's predominantly permanent residents, young families and a strong junior league zone ... I think JB might even argue that it should be even further north near the new Westfield. They are even getting a new school amongst other things.
    Hospital campus as well as the High School.
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

I had to pick my jaw off the floor. Yes! This is what many fans have wanted since day one!

It's a real growth area. And also closer to Brisbane, which I personally love.

I hope this comes off. And I hope all Titans fans lock in and help build a real community there.

To quote the old Valleys saying "It's great to be a Titan!"
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

It will certainly go well around here. The JRL and touch footy in this area is huge. Hopefully convert some kiwis over to Titans fans. I suppose at the day it’s going where the council will donate land and prime positions around Robina or south are too expensive.

Sorry for the delayed responses I’m overseas at the moment and hotel WiFi is terrible.

Great news for the future of the club.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Titan View Post
    Hospital campus as well as the High School.
    Is the High School Public or Private?
    Is the Hospital Campus Public or Private?