Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Titans performance and culture boss Mal Meninga discusses Leilani Latu exit & Jai Arrow’s future
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

TITANS culture and performance boss Mal Meninga insists the club is in no hurry to find a replacement for big-money flop Leilani Latu following his immediate release yesterday to join English Super League side Warrington.

Signed from Penrith in 2018 on a three-year deal worth $450,000 annually, the 26-year-old prop played just nine NRL games in two seasons for the Gold Coast, spending most of his time with Tweed in the Intrust Super Cup.

With salary cap space tight this season, the Titans were desperate to offload Latu - a popular figure within the playing group - and will now begin the search for the final three players to fill their 30-man roster.

TITANS RELEASE LATU FROM FINAL YEAR OF CONTRACT

While the club must have 29 players locked in by March 1 and their full squad finalised by the end of June, Meninga said they were happy to bide their time.

“We won’t be actively looking (for Latu’s replacement). What we’re doing is being patient,” Meninga said.

“It frees up a bit more cash for us but we’ll be very patient. We’ve got to have 29 spots covered by early March and 30 by the end of June so we’ve got a bit of time up our sleeve.

“We’re not going to rush things. It gives us a bit more freedom but we’ll wait and see.”

WHERE THE TITANS’ ARROW CASH SHOULD BE SPENT

While the Titans were more than happy to entertain a release for Latu, they continue to play hard-ball with South Sydney over the Jai Arrow situation.

The Rabbitohs are eager to bring the Queensland forward to Redfern this year but Gold Coast remain unwilling to release him from the final year of his contract unless a suitable player swap can be agreed.

Meninga said the club was well served in the forwards and denied Latu’s departure would have any bearing on Arrow’s future.

“We’ve got plenty of middle forwards. That’s probably the one area we’re over-stocked,” he said.

NEW COACH READY TO SOAR WITH EAGLES IN 2020

“Jai is at the club for this year, I think we’ve made that pretty clear. Jai is staying and we’re very keen to keep him.”

The Titans’ roster expanded to 28 players earlier this month with the signing of Kiwi pair Greg Leleisiuao and Erin Clark, with Latu’s exit leaving them three short of a complete squad.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

^^^ so pleasing to read an article regarding us and to read it and go “yep that’s great.

Agreed Bods, a good article which makes it seem like Mal has a plan (and we all hope he does!)

LIFESAVER RESUSCITATES THE TITANS
    https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl

Mal Meninga has copped plenty throughout his time as Gold Coast’s head of performance and culture. But the big fella deserves a huge rap for his vision to headhunt Justin Holbrook to take over from Garth Brennan.

At the start of the season, who could have possibly imagined the Titans’ rookie coach would be in charge of the Queensland team sitting highest on the NRL ladder?

And just as surprisingly, who could have imagined the Titans would be giving big brother Brisbane a massive wake-up call on so many fronts?

Holbrook has brought about a tremendous change at a club I thought was the NRL’s greatest waste of space. And the Titans are not only playing good footy. The signings of David Fifita, young Melbourne giant Tino Fa’asuamaleaui and Herman Ese’ese are tremendous for their future.

While they’ve copped some criticism for paying $1.25 million a season to secure Fifita, he’s the sort of once-in-a-generation player who justifies that gamble. Again, before Holbrook arrived, it was unimaginable a player in such demand would walk out on the Broncos, especially to play for the Titans.

Meanwhile, Brisbane is moving to sack Tevita Pangai Jr for his COVID breach, and it’s being pushed as a show of strong leadership. Let’s be fair dinkum, it’s nothing more than a convenient excuse to get rid of a player who doesn’t want to be at the club. Yet it was only a year ago that Pangai Jr was one of the game’s most sought-after forwards — and the Broncos were prepared to pay $690,000 a season to keep him.

So where and, importantly, why did it all go so horribly wrong? Perhaps that’s the real issue Brisbane’s management needs to get to the bottom of before it hangs Pangai Jr out to dry. Especially now we have discovered that 10 more Broncos have been caught up in a possible COVID breach.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Big Mal: ‘Canberra Raiders will always be my number one’

Canberra Raiders legend Mal Meninga may be seen wearing the pale blue of the Gold Coast Titans these days, but he insists the Canberra Raiders – the club he captained to three premierships in 1989, 1990 and 1994 – is still his number-one love.

More: https://the-riotact.com/big-mal-canb...ber-one/445005

Fair enough too!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Big Mal: ‘Canberra Raiders will always be my number one’

Canberra Raiders legend Mal Meninga may be seen wearing the pale blue of the Gold Coast Titans these days, but he insists the Canberra Raiders – the club he captained to three premierships in 1989, 1990 and 1994 – is still his number-one love.

More: https://the-riotact.com/big-mal-canb...ber-one/445005

Fair enough too!
    Yeah, nah. What does giving an interview like this achieve? Especially when he is saying he hopes for a top 4 finish by them. Those statements are a conflict of interest.

“Working for the Titans is something I am really passionate about,” Meninga tells Region Media. “They reached out to me and it’s a good challenge. It’s a stable club on the up and my role is to set standards, which weren’t previously where they should be. The club is now in a good place.”

But while he may be employed more than 1100km away in the Sunshine State, the lime green of the Raiders is always close to his heart.

“The Raiders are always first and foremost for me,” says Meninga, the NRL’s 13th Immortal and the current coach of Australia. “I want to see them successful all the time. [Coach] Ricky Stuart is a great mate of mine and he’s doing a terrific job. The club has re-engaged with the community very successfully.

Inactive User

Hey Mal-Think it sure, but don’t say it aloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Hey Mal-Think it sure, but don’t say it aloud.
    100% Bods.

He's had some real clangers when it comes to speaking to the media and this one is another for the things-Mal-shouldn't-have-said-out-loud basket

Do I have to remind everyone Mal “what has rugby league done for me” Meninga at the climax of the Stupid League debacle? Has some serious issues with foot in mouth disease.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Meninga: If you're building a house that's your stumps and your floor.

With the COVID lockdowns of the last 12 months, physically being on the Gold Coast hasn't been easy for Mal Meninga, but that hasn't stopped the Immortal from playing in a key role in the club's continued transformation.

Meninga recently visited Titans HQ and sat down to discuss his focus areas over the last year, the building blocks he is putting in place and what Titans fans can look forward to in the future.

What has your role focused on over the last 12 months?

Predominantly around the recruitment and retention area. Obviously the football department, I think we made some really important personnel changes (off-field) and aside from that, obviously the recruitment area and getting the right people into the right positions is really important. It doesn't mean that you are going to have immediate success though, that's the other thing about getting your systems right and your processes organised. I think that everything we have done, we are heading in the right direction, there has been no backwards steps, it has always been forwards and I think all of those personnel acquisitions have been really healthy for the club.

What do you look for when recruiting, beyond the on-field?

I think work ethic is really important in our game and the sense of humility. The Club is bigger than the player and the game is bigger than the club - that type of attitude. We delve into research of their families and if their family network is strong and those around them and their upbringing, that's all important.

How important is the JTS program?

JTS is your foundation, that's your building blocks - if you're building a house that's your stumps and your floor. You need to get your pathway and your development programs right because they are crucial to your development and success. It is important that kids coming through can see this pathway and that of course creates great support in your local region.

What do the Club's School partnerships bring to the Titans?

The School programs are critical. Our Palm Beach Currumbin, Keebra Park and now Marsden (partnerships) have had long success but it has only been recently that we have formalised a relationship where we help them and they help us.

What can you tell Titans Members and fans about where the Club is going?

To the Members and fans, we have made some huge inroads in the last couple of years. We believe we have got the right system in place now, you can always improve of course, but we believe our top 30 roster is getting stronger. The weight of expectation puts pressure on individuals but it is around handling that. The more games you are exposed to that kind of scenario, the better you are going to get, so patience is going to be the key.

What can the team expect from the Raiders this weekend?

They are going to be competitive. They are a strong footy club and that's where we aspire to be, we want to be consistent. We want to be playing in finals every year and that's where the Raiders are with their roster - a strong forward pack, great depth, great halves and some exciting outside backs. They are a formidable footy team, so if we can compete against them we are heading in the right direction.

Where I sit, I am a Titans man now, when they do play against us I will be supporting the Titans and I will keep my fingers crossed that we do really well and win that game. I honestly hope that (as a former Raiders player) it is a Raiders, Titans Grand Final sometime soon.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2021/...nd-your-floor/

Mal must be happy with the result tonight.

First Grader

Haven’t heard or seen him for a couple months. Anyone knows how much contact or input he is having with the Titans seeing he is supposedly contracted to us

Must be in lockdown