Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

We've all got to be optimists to be a Titans fan.

I think we may just hit the 8. But I'd be happy with 10th and up.

I think Mal will really have a noticeable influence on our players, especially rep or near rep. That certainly includes Ash. As well as AJ and James.

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty
    Hopefully Mal can set a winning culture.
    I agree. He has a good track record with the Maroons and Kangaroos.

I'm wearing my Titans jersey today on the first day of the year of the pig. I intend on enjoying every step of the season. So roll on the trials.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    Nah....I won't be on here bragging or bagging anyone. That would just make me one of the "I told you so" brigade. Man that would be depressing. That type of behaviour doesn't interest me at all.

So, in a nutshell......you have listed 4 reasons for the umpteenth time, based on history. You think good recruitment, depth, off field stability, refs history and so forth offers no reason for hope or expectation.

As you say, we don't know what's been addressed for this year.....and although you say you won't be able to judge the side until after round 4...it seems pretty obvious that you've delivered a pretty harsh judgement already. lol

I really enjoy everyones input on this site (including yours, mate) and of course people are free to think and feel as they wish. Even the doom and gloomers are spot on from time to time....and I'm wrong a fair bit of the time

All I can say is, for me.....optimism trumps pessimism every single time in every aspect of life! People are free to feel defeated before the fight if they wish, that's cool. I just don't understand it.
    Good Man. Well I’d certainly love to see everything click as you prophesise. My Team Sporting Life particularly as a fan has been a horrific non-stop tale of woe.

I will not accept anything but top 8

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Likewise. The days of excuses and accepting sub standard performances, as many on here do, are over.

My 2 major concerns for the year are Taylors form, who should be dropped if he plays like last year and James as captain.

Junior

Hmm success. I will measure it in two different areas..
    If we can have a year without any off field incidents of note, player or admin related. No Sponsors pulling out, players getting arrested, salary cap breaches etc...
    Second increased discipline on the field. Lose the highest penalised player tags we have held the last couple of years. Lose the fade outs in concentration.
    In my mind these are two small things that would be a big refelection of a shift in culture!
    If we can achieve these I think we will see a major improvement in our ladder position.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers66 View Post
    I think we will push into the top 4 with the highest average home crowds we have ever had.
    Stop, i can only get so erect

Pass mark has to be top 8. If we have a bad start to the year people will start calling for Brennan's head. We have to start off the first 6-8 weeks at over 50% to give us a buffer if we have a slump during the year.
    Psmitty

I have us down for 11 wins this year being conservative. That would put us around 9th or 10th on last years ladder. Still an improvement on 14th in 2018. If we win the ones we couldn't close out last year or don't lose the ones we should win then we may just scrape into the 8 if we're lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ja4220 View Post
    Hmm success. I will measure it in two different areas..
    True. Off the field we have come a long way but they can only go so far without some solid and consistent on field performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Likewise. The days of excuses and accepting sub standard performances, as many on here do, are over.
    Yea, the truth is we have been saying them that slack for years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Top 8 or bust!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Tyrone turns over a leadership leaf
    http://www,gcbulletin.com.au

TYRONE Peachey’s new Titans teammates have hailed the former Penrith utility’s leadership qualities, less than five months after he threatened to backflip on his Gold Coast deal.

Months of speculation surrounding Peachey’s commitment to the Titans contract he signed last March ended in November when he fronted for pre-season training on the Gold Coast.

The 27-year-old, who made his State of Origin debut in NSW’s 2-1 series win last year, has since impressed teammates with his attitude as they prepare for the season opener at home to Canberra on March 17.

“Peachey has been pretty good for us. He’s got the experience now of being a rep player and he’s brought a lot,” former Panthers clubmate Mitch Rein said of the 116-game NRL veteran, who also toured New Zealand with the Kangaroos last year.

“You can see he’s got that bit of leadership now up here, which is good. I saw him at Penrith when he was there and he’ll bring a lot.

“He’s always been a good player but it just seems now, after being around the rep circles and that, he’s got that bit more leadership and has more of a voice in the video sessions, which is really good for us. He’ll be a good addition to the team.”

Peachey is part of a backline puzzle yet to be solved by coach Garth Brennan, with centre his likely destination despite also spending time at five-eighth, second-row, lock, fullback and hooker throughout his career.

Forward Max King, who is on the comeback from a shoulder reconstruction, said the ex-Penrith livewire and fellow arrival Shannon Boyd had already lifted standards within the group.

“Peachey has really surprised me leadership-wise. I do get tips off (both of) them and even playing against them previously (I learnt a lot),” King said.

“Shannon’s been great … and Peachey is the same.”
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 06-02-19 at 02:57 PM.

Mr Bods what do you think is a pass mark this year. Where do you think realistically we will finish?
    Psmitty

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by psmitty View Post
    Mr Bods what do you think is a pass mark this year. Where do you think realistically we will finish?
    A good year with injuries, fair go from referees and no Taylor/Termite dramas and we should be top 8. Maybe 5/6.

If however we cop our usual amount of slow rehab (which didn’t happen last year), the perennial cheating of referees and the Million Dollar Fatso Half and The Termite try and run the selections then we would be looking at our usual 14th.

Hey Bodsie, I was at training today and noticed two things: firstly Taylor and Roberts didn’t socialize together at all and I was there for 2.5 hours; secondly I had a chat with said Roberts who said he was in for long term and would try his best and take whatever Brennan decided. He said he was really pleased to be back on the Coast. In fact he was pretty relaxed about it all and impressed me quite a bit as a bloke ... just saying.

Also there are a lot of soft tissue injuries from the extraordinarily hard ground ... the players are very pleased to get some decent rain to soften it up. I asked several players of the training was contributing and they all were very happy with the club’s new culture and reckon Meninga is contributing a lot more than first thought while taking some pressure off Brennan.
    Last edited by Titanic; 07-02-19 at 05:14 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Thanks for the good report Titanic. Not many of us can get to training, so that is great to share and always good to interact with the players like that.

Gold Coast Titans centre Brenko Lee ready to push his case in trials after losing 7kg
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

A LEANER, meaner Brenko Lee is eyeing a massive trial season to leapfrog Gold Coast’s higher profile outside backs into a Round 1 starting spot.

The centre or winger has worked hard to shed seven kilograms – he now tips the scales at 99kg – as he competes with the likes of Tyrone Peachey, Brian Kelly and Dale Copley for opportunities.

“I’m probably the lightest I have ever been since I was 18, so I feel amazing,” he said.

“I knew I had to lose a couple of kilos and I have done it now, all the hard work is done, so now it is just about playing some good footy.

“(The weight loss has) helped me heaps, especially with my recovery.

“I feel quicker but more importantly I feel like I recover so much quicker than last year. It would take a while to recover after a big hit or getting hit but now I feel like I can get back on my feet and go again.

“Something I was guilty of last year was playing in patches – ordinary one time and good the next. It’s just about consistency. Being fit now, I can get that 80-minute consistency in my game.”

After being set back by an early season knee injury, Lee bounced back to find regular game time with 14 NRL appearances in his maiden year at the Titans.

With increased squad depth, Lee is eagerly eyeing the club’s trials against North Queensland on February 23 and Brisbane on March 2 to push his case.

“Garth (Brennan, coach) was pretty open that no one has a spot and that’s the good thing about us, is that our depth has been pretty good this year with the buys he has got and at the end of the day it’s first in, first served,” said the 23-year-old.

“If you trial good, you’re going to start in Round 1 and if you trial bad, you’re going to have to work hard in reserve grade.”

The Titans held a presentation to NRL ‘School to Work’ students at Parkwood on Thursday morning, with four youths getting to attend the All Stars camp next week.

“I remember when I was in high school and some of the Broncos boys like Jharal Yow Yeh used to come. I got a thrill out of it and I hope they got a thrill out of it (here too),” Lee said.