Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Dan Ferris is hardly new. He was with us through most of the Carty / Henry era before ending up at Manly.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Dan Ferris is hardly new. He was with us through most of the Carty / Henry era before ending up at Manly.
    Yeah I know that but there has been a lot of new members and fans come on board since then, my point being that the club should be able to provide information on the new staff that have come on board a the start of each season just to keep everyone up to date and to introduce/reintroduce and them and let them tell the fans on what they bring to the club and the visions they have

Agree with 'Gull ... there should be a place on the website that introduces the back office team as well ... I'm sure Chris and his mob would love another level of notoriety ... the Board, the management, the operational staff, the coach and the S&C guys all should be listed with a small description of their roles, background and email contacts (even if they are generic).
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Settled Titans primed to win
    www.gcbulletin.com.au

A STABLE front office has finally cracked open the Gold Coast Titans’ premiership window, according to veteran winger Anthony Don.

After years of off-field drama and poor on-field results, the NRL battlers believe they have banished their lingering demons.

With a settled home at Parkwood, Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle assuming ownership of the NRL licence and respected administrator Dennis Watt continuing as chairman, coach Garth Brennan will enter his second season with optimism.

His cause will be aided by the appointments of Steve Mitchell and Mal Meninga late last year as chief executive and head of performance and culture, respectively.

Don, who has finished ninth, 14th, 14th, 8th, 15th and 14th in his six seasons at the club, said the team now had a golden opportunity to add on-field success to the mix.

“I’ve been here for a while now so I’ve seen the club at one of its lowest points. It feels really good at the moment, really positive with the new owners and new additions to the club with Mal Meninga and the new CEO,” the 31-year-old said.

“It’s probably the first time the club has felt really settled in the front office in my career so I’m looking forward to seeing that flow through to the footy side of things. If we do have success, which I’m sure we will, it’s going to be great to get the whole Gold Coast behind us because I think in my time we haven’t had much (success).

“It’s a really high priority to win some games, play finals and go deep into the finals.”

Pursued by two Sydney clubs last season, Northern Rivers product Don seriously considered walking away from the Titans before inking a two-year deal.

While he faces a battle to keep his place on the flank for Round 1 against Canberra on March 17, he has no regrets about his decision to remain on the Glitter Strip.

“I’m really happy that I chose to stay, every day I wake up and think how grateful I am that I made the right decision,” he said.

“I love being a Titan and love living on the Gold Coast, and my wife loves it here too, so we’re really stoked we stayed, especially with all the coaching changes that happened in Sydney with one of the clubs that I was going to go to.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans
    Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan locks in spot for talented utility AJ Brimson
    Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
    41 minutes ago

Gold Coast coach Garth Brennan has revealed boom youngster AJ Brimson will play five-eighth and not fullback this year, and could even start the season in a super sub role off the bench.
    Still recovering from a post-season shoulder reconstruction, the dynamic 20-year-old won’t commence contact training for several more weeks and Brennan said his return would not be rushed.
    Brennan conceded veteran Michael Gordon would start in the custodian role, with Brimson up against Tyrone Roberts and Ryley Jacks to partner Ash Taylor in the starting halves.
    “A lot will depend on how AJ is tracking with his shoulder,” Brennan explained.
    “I am not going to rush him.

“I think long-term fullback is going to be his spot because he is such a dynamic runner.
    “And I think that is where he feels most comfortable, as a one.
    “The good thing for me is that I have Michael Gordon there who is a real pro and with
    a lot of experience.
    “If Flash is fit and healthy Flash will be fullback.
    “Fit and healthy, AJ Brimson will be in my 13 somewhere.”
    The Titans are scheduled to play Brisbane in a trial on March 2 and depending on if and how Brimson performs will determine where he starts the season.
    “The other option for me is to ease him off the bench round one,” Brennan said.

“Because that is my number one concern, making sure the kid gets looked after.
    “It is such a long year and he is such a super kid.
    “The last thing I want is for him to go out too early and damage (the shoulder) or lose
    confidence.
    “I have to protect him. It is hard not to get excited about him. I think there is representative football in him. He is just such a competitor.
    “When he came back after Christmas and he came straight into our ball sessions at
    six, the teamwork just changed.

“The speed of everything he does is fast. The tempo of everything we did went through the roof.
    “He was playing alongside (Tyrone Peachey) on the left side and Peach has just gone,
    ‘wow, what about this kid’.
    “He will be into a bit of light contact in the next few weeks and he will hopefully be ready to go in that Broncos trial.
    “But look, whether he is fit and ready to go will determine the make-up of that spine.”

I'm happy with this big time. Now we just need to find a suitable partner for AJ in the halfs. hahaha

Returning Titans forward Max King studying new teammate and former Test prop Shannon Boyd
    https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

HE has been studying the every move of new teammate Shannon Boyd but returning Titan Max King says his biggest lesson is still to come.

On the comeback from a shoulder reconstruction that restricted his 2018 campaign to 12 games, rising middle forward King has spent much of pre-season soaking up the experience of Canberra recruit and former Test prop Boyd.

The pair are among a logjam of forwards fighting for spots in the Gold Coast pack for Round 1 against the Raiders on March 17, with trial games against North Queensland (February 23) and Brisbane (March 2) likely to be a selection factor.

Eager to continue his own development, King, 21, said those looming pre-season outings would give him another first-hand look at the qualities that carried Boyd to four Kangaroos appearances in 2016.

Rising Titans forward Max King (right) in action against the Broncos last year. Picture: AAP Image/Darren England
    “Shannon’s been great,” King said of the 26-year-old.

“Having him around training, he’s something else. In the gym and with physicality, he’s something else so it has been great training against him and developing as a player.

“I do get tips off people like him and Dark (captain Ryan James) who have been around for a while, but I think the best thing is just playing with them and against them and comparing what makes them so much better.

“Obviously with Boydy, there is an intent there (at training) as well with how he goes into tackles but I think you probably learn the most when you’re in the deep end playing with and against them rather than just having a conversation about it.”

A graduate of the Titans’ under-20s team, King has played 29 games at the top level after making his debut in the third round of 2017.

Gold Coast recruit and former Test prop Shannon Boyd. Picture: Jerad Williams
    But with a pack boasting representative forwards Boyd, Kevin Proctor, Jarrod Wallace and Jai Arrow, the Hunter Valley product knows he has a fight on his hands to make coach Garth Brennan’s side for the season opener.

“Obviously the first (goal) is being in that 17. Competition (for spots) is the strongest in the three years I’ve been here so it makes for a strong 2019 campaign,” King said.

“I think we will surprise a lot of people this year. I want to be in that 17 and really contributing to the team, not just another number, and being part of a great team year.

“Everything is going really well, (the injury) gave me the opportunity to gain a couple of kilos and come back strong into pre-season. I’m back doing full contact now and I’m really looking for a good year.”
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

With all the talk around the 1, 3, 4 and 6.....you tend to not think about the battle for forward spots. I really hope we can keep Kingy here. I don't want him squeezed out of the club at the end of the year. With King, Lee, Arthars, Jacks, Rein, Stockwell, Whitbread all off contract this year, and with us looking strong this year.....I'd hate to see Max leave to look for more game time at another club.

What will be will be though I suppose. The success of the club is the main thing!

Inactive User

A lot of people spruiking that this is going to be a good year.
    Define what’s a “good year” if you are one of those please.

What’s a pass mark for Brennan.

I think a top 8 spot would be a pass mark.

Of course....there will always be the eternal pessimists that see doom and gloom at every turn. The old, "I told you so" crowd. It's as if they are almost wanting failure to keep them happy and to somehow prove their dismal outlook is correct. I'm sure they'll be fully onboard by round 10.

In all honesty....how could you not be more excited about this year than years past?? Unless of course....The Titans are your "second team". LOL!!

Pass mark is a season challenging to make the eight and finally scraping in. I think we are a 7 at best and 10 at worst team. As they say “anything can happen in the Finals”.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    I think a top 8 spot would be a pass mark.

Of course....there will always be the eternal pessimists that see doom and gloom at every turn. The old, "I told you so" crowd. It's as if they are almost wanting failure to keep them happy and to somehow prove their dismal outlook is correct. I'm sure they'll be fully onboard by round 10.

In all honesty....how could you not be more excited about this year than years past?? Unless of course....The Titans are your "second team". LOL!!

It’s a forum-people can be doom and gloom if they want. If you are correct and we go gangbusters then you can give it them for you being correct. Take note of which posters they are now and go for it.
    I have 4 major issues that hold me back from getting high hopes which I’ll outline for the umpteenth time:
    1-the million dollar halfback that disappears when we need him most
    2-we have the worst onfield leadership in the game.
    3-the 3 to 4 times a year where our blokes will turn it up and get massacred
    4-the constant cheating by biased referees especially the Sutton’s, Badger, Atkins and Perenara.

If those things aren’t addressed then good depth, good recruitment, off field stability Yada Yada Yada is irrelevant.
    Maybe those things have, maybe not.
    We will need to win a minimum of 2 of our first 4 matches for me to think we will be a top 8 contender.
    Hoping is useless, either they have or haven’t and I won’t be able to judge till then.

Plenty of things to like. I think we will finish around 10-12th. Plenty of years I have thought this is the year but for some reason they always seem perform well below par. Hopefully Mal can set a winning culture.
    Psmitty

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    It’s a forum-people can be doom and gloom if they want. If you are correct and we go gangbusters then you can give it them for you being correct. Take note of which posters they are now and go for it.
    I have 4 major issues that hold me back from getting high hopes which I’ll outline for the umpteenth time:
    1-the million dollar halfback that disappears when we need him most
    2-we have the worst onfield leadership in the game.
    3-the 3 to 4 times a year where our blokes will turn it up and get massacred
    4-the constant cheating by biased referees especially the Sutton’s, Badger, Atkins and Perenara.

If those things aren’t addressed then good depth, good recruitment, off field stability Yada Yada Yada is irrelevant.
    Maybe those things have, maybe not.
    We will need to win a minimum of 2 of our first 4 matches for me to think we will be a top 8 contender.
    Hoping is useless, either they have or haven’t and I won’t be able to judge till then.
    Nah....I won't be on here bragging or bagging anyone. That would just make me one of the "I told you so" brigade. Man that would be depressing. That type of behaviour doesn't interest me at all.

So, in a nutshell......you have listed 4 reasons for the umpteenth time, based on history. You think good recruitment, depth, off field stability, refs history and so forth offers no reason for hope or expectation.

As you say, we don't know what's been addressed for this year.....and although you say you won't be able to judge the side until after round 4...it seems pretty obvious that you've delivered a pretty harsh judgement already. lol

I really enjoy everyones input on this site (including yours, mate) and of course people are free to think and feel as they wish. Even the doom and gloomers are spot on from time to time....and I'm wrong a fair bit of the time

All I can say is, for me.....optimism trumps pessimism every single time in every aspect of life! People are free to feel defeated before the fight if they wish, that's cool. I just don't understand it.

I think we will push into the top 4 with the highest average home crowds we have ever had.