Garth Brennan committed to reigniting Bryce Cartwright’s career
TRAVIS MEYN, The Courier-Mail
November 2, 2018 5:28pm
Subscriber only

TITANS coach Garth Brennan has committed to turning around Bryce Cartwright as the fallen star attempts to reignite his career on the Gold Coast.

Cartwright will report for pre-season training on Monday in the first step towards getting his career back on track following a disastrous 2018.

The former Penrith Panthers star’s $2 million move to the Gold Coast earlier this year ended in Cartwright being dumped to reserve grade following a string of weak performances.

Cartwright’s limp defensive efforts were heavily criticised and Brennan had no option but to relegate his blue-chip signing to the Intrust Super Cup for the second half of the season.

Bryce Cartwright had a tough first season on the Gold Coast. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
Cartwright was linked with a Gold Coast exit, but few clubs were willing to take a punt on the 23-year-old after his efforts in 2018.

Instead, Cartwright has been part of a group of Titans players training together during the off-season and finished second in a 2km time trial this week.

Brennan will assemble his squad on Monday to begin their 2019 preparations and the second-year coach said he was committed to helping Cartwright get back to his best.

“I am (committed to him) but that’s for every player in our club,” Brennan said.

“My job is to make them the best player they possibly can.

“I want them to be here and perform for the club. That hasn’t changed.

Garth Brennan is committed to helping Cartwright rediscover his best form. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
“I’ve heard he is in really good shape and has trained really hard.

“I haven’t spoken to Bryce. I leave my players alone during the break, I don’t want to pester them.

“From all reports he’s in really good shape and has done a few training sessions with one of our strength and conditioners and they said he was flying and more than meeting the targets they’d set for the players.

“That’s pleasing to hear he’s focused and ready to rip in.”

The Titans on Friday announced betting agency Neds would become their major sponsor for the next three years in what is a major financial boost for the club.

Cartwright is contracted to the Titans until 2021 and captain Ryan James said the NSW Origin hopeful would benefit from having an entire pre-season with his teammates.

“He came to us with one or two weeks before the trials this year and people expected him to fit straight in,” James said.

“It takes a whole pre-season to fit into someone’s structures. It takes time for players to gel and click.

“He was throwing flick balls and no-one had trained with him.

“People were expecting him to do those miraculous things but we need to get a full pre-season in and play a lot of trials together.”

Canberra recruit Shannon Boyd will meet his new Titans teammates for the first time on Monday.