Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post

Cartwright did better than last year. He looks like he’s trying to gat some confidence back. If he does, great for us...
    I'm pleased you had that observation of Cartwright. I thought he showed some better signs as well but thought I was in the minority after some journo in the Sunday Mail ripped in to him about yesterday's effort. Then again these journos start off as office people then get given a sport to cover - some are barely out of nappies and as soon as they start writing about the NRL, that somehow gives them years of knowledge.

I managed to see half the game yesterday while on a bus thanks to the joys of streaming through the NRL app, which worked perfectly for me. I'm going to have to watch it properly now that I am at home.

The first player that appeared was a Cowboys player and because of our confusing dark blue home jersey I thought it was us for a second. But I was happy to see our side wearing a jersey truly representative of us. The heritage jersey looked great.

Impressive crowd of 10,680 and from reports the venue really struggled. But the demand for Rugby League is fantastic to see. They really made a statement with that crowd yesterday.

Disappointed to read the match report on Titans.com.au which is just lifted off NRL.com and is Cowboys focused. We can't have the same reports appearing on Cowboys.com.au and Titans.com.au. They are different audiences, following different teams. We want to know different information. I hope we won't be seeing much of that when the Premiership begins.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Enjoying watching the team play out-shined anything else but I was disappointed in Pythian too but he can certainly play better than that. Roberts was solid but other than MoFo the rest were just having a dig. Don got clear and showed nothing, he should be nervous. Kelly looked good I thought.

The Cows much vaunted pack were pretty ordinary too.
    Last edited by Titanic; 24-02-19 at 08:22 PM.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

A couple of people have now said that Roberts was solid. Unless he did something special with 20 to go I thought he was just Roberts. The wind didn’t help anyone’s kicking game but when you have a howler at your back I would have thought 1 or 2 attempts at a 40/20 (wind factor maybe 30/20) would have been on. In his defence he would not be familiar with the some of the newbies around him so I will not harp on him any longer. To me the game was boring. Probably sour grapes on my part as I paid for 3 nights accommodation, tickets for the game and 2 days pay before I found out is was a second tier squad playing.
    IMO they sold too many tickets to the game. The crowd may have looked good on the telly but to be there was quite uncomfortable.
    All in all a below average experience for me. Maybe I am still in grouch mode, so rant over and bring on the Broncos with our main squad.

Not sure if our main squad will play this week either TBH. Some are still in rehab. But looking forward to the game all the same.

Our outside backs were our A graders and I didn't think too much of any of them as far as game breakers. Lee has improved in defense. For me Kelly is a defensive liability. Don makes his usual slow mo breaks but can't make it the length (still love him though) and Sami was rather quiet.

Dylan won't see two minutes of first grade this year so I'm not too concerned with him not being an A grader however given his ability to cover numerous positions and is a low end contract I'm happy to have him in our ranks.

I think Brennan said it last year (in jest) he looks for his grandmas approval when watching the lower games to get a feel for how someone is playing. If they can't shine in a lower grade then they don't deserve the chance in the NRL. Cartwright 2.0, Latu and a few others hardly shined in an under strength second half cowboys squad. At one point I think I heard the commentators ask themselves if Cartwright was still out there.

Tyrone ROberts is doing what he needs to to make the squad and what that means for AJ (and the supersub article) has me wondering what is going to happen to Rein, who deserves a first grade spot IMO.

Looking forward to this Saturday, got TIx in the western stand so hopefully no where near those Broncos fans.

Inactive User

^^^ I agree about the Grandma thing, QCup is to my eye way lower than the old “Reserve Grade” so you must be totally dominating to the point of looking like a man playing against the boys to get the call up unless of course it’s forced by injury

[QUOTE=Mr Bods;389924
    QCup is to my eye way lower than the old “Reserve Grade”
    [/QUOTE]

Ah, good old Reserve Grade. The days when you could watch the game before the main game and see who was pushing for first grade, and actually spend a decent time at the ground. But we'll get served some junior games or even insult us with touch football.

Inactive User

^^^^ Amen Brother MT

If we re-introduce a reserve grade, bye bye to many Queensland Cup sides and NSW Cup sides.

But I'd prefer a QCup game as part of my ticket price. Touch footy is touch footy. I'm pleased to see it part of the Rugby League banner, but it isn't what I'm looking for on my day/night at the footy.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titans coach Garth Brennan still looking for more from defence, Jesse Arthars happy with trial
    Connor O’Brien, @obrien_GCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
    http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

GOLD Coast Titans players were outspoken last week about their mission to stiffen up their defence and the Cowboys trial at the weekend offered some promising signs for finals-ready fans.

The Titans took an understrength list into the clash at Sunshine Coast Stadium on Saturday, while the Cowboys rolled out big guns including Jason Taumalolo, Matt Scott and Jordan McLean.

Gold Coast’s middle three starting forwards of Moeaki Fotuaika, Max King and Jack Stockwell stepped up to the occasion nicely and the rest of the team followed suit with mostly good defensive reads.

North Queensland’s four tries originated from three one-on-one missed tackles – two by Dylan Phythian and one by Bryce Cartwright – and a kick but Titans coach Garth Brennan is still demanding better.

“We have got to be better with our one-on-one tackles. That’s what cost us last year,” he said.

Keebra Park product Jesse Arthars, who has returned to the Coast after stints in the Melbourne and South Sydney systems, was relatively pleased with what he saw from fullback.

“The goal from the coach was to work on the things that we had done all pre-season and make sure that we got those things down pat,” he said.

“Most of those things were revolved around defence so we thought that we did really good for our first hitout.”

Arthars, 20, played the full 80 minutes in the No.1 role and hopes he showed Brennan enough to be considered if an NRL backline vacancy appears this season.

“I was pretty happy to get a start with the boys and to be at the back was awesome as well,” said the Helensvale and Runaway Bay junior.

“It was a very good opportunity for myself … I thought I put my best foot forward.”

Arthars will start the season with Intrust Super Cup feeder club Burleigh, where he hopes to contend for the fullback responsibility.

The Titans will play a near full strength side in their second and final trial against Brisbane at Cbus Super Stadium this Saturday night, with only Ryan James and Keegan Hipgrave expected to be unavailable for the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    If we re-introduce a reserve grade, bye bye to many Queensland Cup sides and NSW Cup sides.
    I know we would take a number of QCup players if we had reserve grade but the players would benefit by playing in a much higher standard and in front of a crowd rather than the hundreds that watch now. QCUP would just become the third tier. As for NSW, that NSW Cup comp is a mess and very few people know who is affiliated with who. For example Manly are linked with Blacktown - I'm sure Manly supporters head out to Blacktown to watch.
    That game between the QCup winners and the NSW Cup winners they play on GF day, no one cares and I have been at every one of them.

Inactive User

As a child going to Endeavour Field and then later as a teenager/young adult Seagulls Stadium to watch all 3 Grades was unreal. I’d just love the people of today to experience the same tribalism and full days absorption of the great game.

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post

But I'd prefer a QCup game as part of my ticket price. Touch footy is touch footy. I'm pleased to see it part of the Rugby League banner, but it isn't what I'm looking for on my day/night at the footy.
    While I agree that it would be good to see the Burleigh or Tweed play as curtain raisers the issue is the financial impact it has on the Qcup teams.
    While they might only get 500-1000 people paying there $10 and buying $5 cans and $3 pies they make a lot of their money that way.
    If you take 2 games away for each team that’s a big hit to their budgets.
    Then you get the 1000 people that walk to the stadium or drive because they can park etc, that won’t go to see them at Robina because it’s $35, $8.60 for a beer, $6 for a pie etc etc and then the QCup teams lose support...
    I th8nk there should be a reserve grade but it should be a blend of what was Reserve grade and nyc.
    Extend the squads to 45 and then have a minimum number of u20s, maybe 10.
    Then you get a blend of new talent and depth players.
    That said it would dramatically increase the budgets of already struggling football departments.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    A couple of people have now said that Roberts was solid. Unless he did something special with 20 to go I thought he was just Roberts. The wind didn’t help anyone’s kicking game but when you have a howler at your back I would have thought 1 or 2 attempts at a 40/20 (wind factor maybe 30/20) would have been on. In his defence he would not be familiar with the some of the newbies around him so I will not harp on him any longer. To me the game was boring. Probably sour grapes on my part as I paid for 3 nights accommodation, tickets for the game and 2 days pay before I found out is was a second tier squad playing.
    IMO they sold too many tickets to the game. The crowd may have looked good on the telly but to be there was quite uncomfortable.
    All in all a below average experience for me. Maybe I am still in grouch mode, so rant over and bring on the Broncos with our main squad.
    Funny how the mind works. I did not enjoy my day at all so only looked (and found) negatives. I watched the replay last night and quite enjoyed it.

The squad is as follows:

1. Michael Gordon

2. Brenko Lee

3. Tyrone Peachey

4. Brian Kelly

5. Phillip Sami

6. Tyrone Roberts

7. Ash Taylor

8. Jarrod Wallace

9. Nathan Peats

10. Shannon Boyd

11. Kevin Proctor