Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2019 NRL Draw

NRL 2019 NRL Draw

THE 2019 NRL season draw is just days from being finalised — minus a historic US kick-off.

Todd Greenberg’s dream to launch the season in America has been put on hold as it proved too great a financial risk.

The NRL will continue to investigate ways to cover the costs of staging the season kick-off in the US for the start of 2020.

One much-anticipated match set for allocation is for the grand opening of the new Western Sydney Stadium, where Parramatta will call home.

The Eels have been told to prepare to host their first home game against Wests Tigers on Easter Monday in round six.

For now, you won’t catch either club or NRL officials confirming the date as the NSW government wants to grandstand the announcement.

The NRL has completed the 2019 season draw in near record time and, in a bid to beat the AFL to its draw release, Greenberg had contemplated making it public on Thursday.

However, it’s more likely the draw release will be postponed by a further week to avoid taking the spotlight and attention away from Australia’s eagerly awaited Test match with Tonga in New Zealand on Saturday.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I have included Titans games in itineraries for groups of Chinese tourists so I really want an early draw.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

Gold Coast Titans to kick off NRL Magic Round 2019, with eight games in four days at Suncorp Stadium
    OCTOBER 23, 2018
    THE NRL has backed the Titans to rebound from the start of next season by handing them the sole stand-alone match in its first Magic Round at Suncorp Stadium in May.

The Titans and Sharks will meet on a Thursday night to launch the round in which all 16 clubs will play at Suncorp Stadium, with the NRL extending the concept from three days to four.

The Broncos will play Manly in the late match of a Friday double-header and the Cowboys take on South Sydney in the eighth and last match of the round to close a Sunday double-header.

Gold Coast finished 14th in 2018 and will have played eight matches before the Round 9 extravaganza in Brisbane, which will be the first edition of a multi-year contract between the NRL and State Government.

When the Magic Round was confirmed in June, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said there would be matches played from Friday to Sunday, with Thursday night not mentioned.

Greenberg set an aim for three sellouts of the 52,500-seat Suncorp Stadium.

But the prospect now is of a smaller attendance on the Thursday night, a school and work night, when the Titans will play one of the less supported Sydney clubs.

The addition of the Thursday night match is a commercial matter related to broadcasting.

“The Magic Round is a great concept, especially playing at the best rugby league stadium in the world — I’m sure the fans will love it,’’ said Titans and Queensland forward Jai Arrow said.

“Hopefully we are doing well by then and get the Titans fans there. All fans from different teams will be there.

“I think it will stick and be around for a long time. We want to do this for the fans and to have all 16 teams play at Suncorp. It’s a great chance to put smiles on kids’ faces.’’

The full NRL season draw will be released this morning.

The only match between two 2018 finals teams in the Magic Round is the Warriors and Dragons clash, the second of an enticing Saturday triple-header.

Both clubs have sizeable supporter bases in Queensland, as do Melbourne and Parramatta, who play the following game to end the triple-header.

Broncos forward Matt Gillett said southeast Queensland league fans would be more likely than those in Sydney to pay to watch matches not involving their club.

“It’s an opportunity to them to watch different teams, not just the home team,’’ Gillett said.

“A lot of teams in Brisbane have good support, such as the Storm and the Dragons.

“I think it’s going to be awesome and I’d be pretty keen to get to the games when we’re not playing.’’

The NRL will capitalise on the presence of all clubs by scheduling a series of public promotions and clinics leading up to and during the four-day festival of matches.

“It will be really good that we’d be asked to come to Brisbane a bit earlier,’’ Queensland forward Coen Hess said.

When the Cowboys play Souths, Hess might have played in front of bigger crowds only in his Origin career, the 2017 grand final and the 2016 double-header which was the precursor to the Magic Round initiative.

A crowd of 52,346 flocked to Suncorp for the 2016 double-header involving the Cowboys, Storm, Broncos and Sea Eagles.

“The Magic Round will be a pretty different atmosphere, with supporters there from every team,’’ Hess said.

It’s cricket like never before. Every Australia home Test, ODI, T20I Match LIVE and ad-break free. SIGN UP TODAY!

http://outline.com/jjKkfN COPY

https://www.nrl.com/draw/?utm_source...19&team=500004

Going to be some tough games to fill the stadium the first few home games.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/rugb...zlpbb8p9qvq/16

An article on the "winners and losers" after the draw announcement. You'll have to scroll to the very bottom to find us.

We also have the equal least free to air games.

Correction, the Warriors have the least
    Last edited by JunctionBlock; 25-10-18 at 04:33 PM.

Inactive User

Cannot tell you how angry I am that our Home Game against Cronulla is at Lang Park on a Thursday night. Thanks Annesley, thanks NRL, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Cannot tell you how angry I am that our Home Game against Cronulla is at Lang Park on a Thursday night. Thanks Annesley, thanks NRL, good job.
    Agree totally. This was supposed to be a three day event but obviously the NRL went off half baked and announced the three days before talking to Fox/Nine. So they had the scrape a game out to play on Thursday night. So for an event that was meant to capture attention, it will now open to an empty stadium, great marketing. Not only will no one be there, it appears Titans membership costs have not been adjusted to take in to account that this is a home game that few members will attend.

Inactive User

^^^^ great to hear from you MT. I was worried something had happened to you.
    You bring up a great point re The Membership Prices too. If the Club are expecting us to go then they are kidding themselves. On a Thursday to Dodge City and back and then work/school on Friday.
    Forget It.

^^^^ great to hear from you MT. I was worried something had happened to you.
    You bring up a great point re The Membership Prices too. If the Club are expecting us to go then they are kidding themselves. On a Thursday to Dodge City and back and then work/school on Friday.
    Forget It.
    No all is good Bods.
    The membership issue will not really bother me as I am scaling right back this year from 4 Titanium West memberships to most likely a 4 game pass. I just couldn't justify handing over $1100 each year to watch rubbish and little seems to change year on year. If they turn in to something serious I'll be fully back. This is a thread about the draw and I don't want to derail it.
    Another clanger is our Warriors game - one of the best drawers at 6pm Friday. Crazy.

Geezus, that is a shockin' draw for us at home. Nothing interesting until Round 10 when we host the Doggies, and doesn't really fire up until we host the Cowboys in Round 12 (2nd of June).

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    Geezus, that is a shockin' draw for us at home. Nothing interesting until Round 10 when we host the Doggies, and doesn't really fire up until we host the Cowboys in Round 12 (2nd of June).
    And that's the bye round so all the rep players will be out I'm guessing.

Junior

So for the game against the Sharks at Suncorp do we still pay if we are full season members?

Inactive User

Well this is a situation where I’d be wanting the Members Alliance to step up on our behalf because this Thursday Cronulla Suncorp situation is totally unacceptable.
    It must be moved back to ROBINA.

Well this is a situation where I’d be wanting the Members Alliance to step up on our behalf because this Thursday Cronulla Suncorp situation is totally unacceptable.
    It must be moved back to ROBINA.
    I agree. Surely one game like this taken away from the "Magic Round" doesn't matter. There will be this massive build up to the Magic Round and it will start with a whimper of probably less than 10k.
    I had a better look at our draw earlier and we have THREE home games at 6pm on Fridays (7 overall). That is a stitch up. Get the CEO on to it - oh do we have one.