Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Mat Petersen

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Source me one thread where Titans fans have made Peterson out to be .

A solid grade winger yep - world class, nope - but then we cant afford to sign world class in every position and out of all of them winger is one where you can sign a good solid grade player.
    Exactly Dakink, we cant buy Rep players 1-17, no team can... For the money Peto is probably earning I beleive he is a value buy... I think shaven is the one that needs to keep it real here!

As for the fact Fox not showing reggies, Peto has played a lot of first grade footy in his time! For some one who has watched him play a lot of football, I can say I am glad he is coming to the Titans. As an Eels fan, I wish he was in my squad every week over Luke Burt! He will never be a rep player, but he is a player I have confidence in.

Same goes for Chalky, he may be playing a lot of reggies at the Eels, but he deserves his spot in their FG team over Daniel Wagon right now. He's bulked up and is playing some quality footy. Lets hope he gets a chance!

If you sprinkle quality and capable First Graders around your stars you are going to have a pretty good team IMO.

Default peterson

Quote Originally Posted by TITANS007
    I'm not a big fan of "Side show Bob", but if he's been stuck playing premier league due to more talented players in front of him, it might give him the hunger he needs to work harder and prove himself as a regular first grader. We can hope at least. Lets hope he can stand up and play well for the Titans. I'm willing to give him a go, the same as any signing we have (First grader or not).
    I am also willing to give any young player a go to make a name for them self, but this guy has been given a chance in first grade for parramatta and could not cut it!!!!! so why buy a player who can't hold his first grade spot at another club.

Quote Originally Posted by shavenjas
    I am also willing to give any young player a go to make a name for them self, but this guy has been given a chance in first grade for parramatta and could not cut it!!!!! so why buy a player who can't hold his first grade spot at another club.
    You are quite content to quote TITANS007 but are steering clear from Dakink's post? Why?

Are you prepared to post that Cartwright, Sattler and co. got it wrong?

Default peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Source me one thread where Titans fans have made Peterson out to be .

A solid grade winger yep - world class, nope - but then we cant afford to sign world class in every position and out of all of them winger is one where you can sign a good solid grade player.
    Ok my response i hope the staff are not just looking for solid players that is just crazy they should be looking at players and saying this guy is going to be a great winger or player not (or he is solid) a team wih great players will win more games than a team wih (SOLID PLAYERS)

Titan CEO

A team that works together as a team will win games.

A team of guys who all think they are the best in the world will not win games.

Whats wrong with a solid player? "solid" or average players can turn into great players....they can also fall by the way side. Give him a go...hope that he does a good job for titans and that he improves.

What better motivation is there to play your ass off so you dont have to go back down to lower grades.

Ok my response i hope the staff are not just looking for solid players that is just crazy they should be looking at players and saying this guy is going to be a great winger or player not (or he is solid) a team wih great players will win more games than a team wih (SOLID PLAYERS)
    Your missing the point as some have pointed out - we as a new franchise are not in the position to go out and put together a 17 man squad (or 13 for that matter) loaded with "great" players like a Brisbane or St George-Illwarra. The salary cap does not allow for that and Michael himself has declared we are looking more at depth and will not be throwing "overs" to players to get them to sign on the dotted line. Scott Prince is a great example. He could of got some $100K more with the Tigers though we were not going to exceed $350K per year and become involved in an all-out bidding war. If we did this, as Michael again has said, it would be franchise suicide for a new club with 8 players on the roster.

With the three world class players on the roster (four if you include Preston Campbell), we will be filling positions with "solid" first grade players as well as with players with potential to be better players with the right coaching. This is the correct way to backfill for a new club.

I see some more "name" players putting pen to paper in the not too distant future but after that we will be looking at those Matt Petersen type players who have the ability to be regular first graders in the NRL. We will also be looking to our feeder clubs as well.

Unfortunately we are not going to fulfill your wish of looking soley at "great" players - sure we have some on the books thus far, though again, cap wise we are not able to look at the the elite players only. This is not all too hard to comprehend when looking at the today's climate in the NRL.

Default peterson

I am not talking about current great players that cost a fortune i am talking about young players that have great potential that wont cost much at all.
    so my hole point is peterson is mid 20's has done nothing so why not give a young guy a go, who could become a champion.

I am not talking about current great players that cost a fortune i am talking about young players that have great potential that wont cost much at all.
    so my hole point is peterson is mid 20's has done nothing so why not give a young guy a go, who could become a champion.
    We are and will be - look no further than the Elite Academy squad e.g. Chris Sandow, Shannon Walker etc. They will get opportunities with the club in 2007.

Default peterson

I think Peterson is wasting our salary cap we could buy 4 young players out of high school for the price of one Peterson and we could see a champion player come from that.

Default peterson

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    You are quite content to quote TITANS007 but are steering clear from Dakink's post? Why?

Are you prepared to post that Cartwright, Sattler and co. got it wrong?
    As a Gold Coaster i would be prepared, as we all remember how well the Charges went. mistakes have been made before and i don't want to see it happen again.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Will you shut up about reserve grade shavenjas? You make the Queensland cup sound like a juniors comp. There are plenty of fantastic players in reserve grade. Brisbane signed Shane Perry- a 30yr old who played Queensland cup all his career.

I've seen Peterson play and he is fairly good, he is not massively hyped like you say. I've probably heard him being talked about the least of all our signings at this forum. He has a good scoring rate as previously mentioned. And he came from WA. Lay off the guy, OK?

Oh, and you take a stab at people who agree with you.
    Sig deleted. Please refer to the member guidelines for allowable sig sizes.

I think Peterson is wasting our salary cap we could buy 4 young players out of high school for the price of one Peterson and we could see a champion player come from that.
    You logic makes no sense at all.

You would prefer a newly established club take the punt on 4 unproven commodities instead of signing a player more than capable of playing at NRL level? Thankfully, your not running our club.

The grass roots are important though so are the NRL veterans we are signing for the Titans. A player like Petersen is not taking up that much cap room at all it must be said and he is a player that could blossom in this time much the same as Matt Geyer did when joining the Storm.

We will agree to disagree - I am confident you are one of a minority thankfully. Your also telling us in another thread Lance Thompson has never really looked like a first grade footballer... :chef: ...

Enjoy the forums!

Default peterson

Bengi Marshall came straight out of highschool and is one of the best players in the game i would love to have 4 of him.
    cartwright has got this one wrong, as he also has never coached first grade either. so the club has realy taken a punt on him.

Bengi Marshall came straight out of highschool and is one of the best players in the game i would love to have 4 of him.
    cartwright has got this one wrong, as he also has never coached first grade either. so the club has realy taken a punt on him.
    Of course, forgive me, there are sooooo many Benji Marshalls coming out of High School for us to look at - give me a break. Poor post and poor example used. Marshall is one of those rare talents we are blessed to have the opportunity to watch at such a young age. Hell, Brad Fittler came out of High School and I am sure we would love four of him too - chuck in Tim Brasher as well. These rare talents AGAIN are not that easily found unfortunately.

A decision to make here...

Go with John Cartwright, Sattler and co. on this one or the guy who thinks Lance Thompson has never looked like much of a first grader? Hmmm..

I will state what I said before but with one added thing... I said before that the salary cap is going to stop the Titans from getting lots and lots of good players... but I will also say this...

You say there is so much young talent around Shavenjas... but what happens when this young talent gets into the game... it gets in early and has a great first season.. and then goes off the second and the player either struggles to return to that sparkling form or disappears into the netherworld of RL... and that is not good.

I reckon instead give them time to develop and then bring them in.. you bring young players in before they are ready and you will have issues later on... and that has been confirmed way too many times for you to argue against it...

I would know... My Club.. The Bulldogs have had many great talents.. some who have made names for themselves like SBW and others like Marty Mitchell who was a talent, got an early start, played well then got injured and has struggled to return since.

I will leave it there.. but I would agree with Cartwright and the Titans crew anyday, they haven't done too much wrong so far... so they have my vote.
    Last edited by DeeGan; 16-03-06 at 07:13 PM.