PEACHEY PERFECT - Titans recruit: ‘I never said I didn’t want to join Gold Coast’
http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

TYRONE Peachey needed convincing he was selected in the Australian squad. But he is adamant he does not need the same amount of persuasion to join the Titans next year.

Peachey has broken his silence, saying he is “100 per cent” committed to honouring his three-year Gold Coast deal. Suggestions of a backflip were inflamed when Peachey said last month that he “didn’t want to make any decision until the year was finished”.

Peachey said: “I never came out once and said that I didn’t want to go to Gold Coast.

“It just got blown up.

‘‘I sat back and said nothing.

“Whenever people asked me questions they were twisting it. Then the Gold Coast got upset with me. I didn’t want to upset anyone or say anything wrong about anyone because I know they are the ones paying the bills.

“I said it was tough to leave Penrith because it means so much to me. It just got blown up and it went a bit crazy. I didn’t get a call off anyone (at the Gold Coast). I didn’t think I needed to call anyone.

‘‘I had the finals to worry about and Penrith.

‘‘I didn’t want to let Penrith down. We were going into a big game against the Warriors. People took it the wrong way.”

The Titans have promised to play hardball to ensure the 27-year-old fulfils his commitment to the club.

Regardless, Peachey won’t be at the Panthers next season.

While Peachey has been overlooked for Saturday’s match against the Kiwis, playing Test rugby league was not on his radar at the start of 2018.

He said his goals for this year were playing State of Origin and finals footy.

He ticked those boxes but did not think playing for the Kangaroos would happen this year.

“When I got told last week I didn’t believe it,” Peachey said.

“I had to call back to make sure I was picked.”