Page 78 of 160 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2400
    Immortal

Not dissimilar mate but the most impressive thing for me is how close he plays to the defensive line, really takes every inch before ball playing, kicking or running.

He is an exceptional kicker both tactical and goal kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Whats Doing View Post
    How does he compare to Dearden?

Happy with this. Another Keebra Park product. Time to just start reuniting these guys.

AJ Brimson Gold Coast Titans
    Jesse Arthars Gold Coast Titans

Payne Haas Brisbane Broncos
    Moeaki Fotuaika Gold Coast Titans
    Tom Mikaele Wests Tigers
    Jaxson Paulo Gold Coast Titans (NRL development contract) *Not anymore

David Fifita Brisbane Broncos
    Tanah Boyd Gold Coast Titans

Just to show who's played with who. Tbh we've been able to bring home/keep a fair amount of talent. Think Fifita's off contract at the end of next year. Him and Boyd had a pretty decent combo.

First Grader

On a side note i saw treymain spry is playing 5'8th for seagulls...i thought he was a centre?

Immortal

Normally is mate, I will be very interested to see how he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    On a side note i saw treymain spry is playing 5'8th for seagulls...i thought he was a centre?

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by toddythetitan View Post
    Hey mate is has been sent to tweed
    Thanks very much Toddy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    With Boyd sent to Tweed, maybe he will now play in the halves this weekend for Seagulls allowing Spry to revert back into the Centres

Great to see we sign a junior half back to the club. IMO I think that his signing is great and protects us should Peachy go ( as Peach can play halves. ). Also security should Ash take long term leave ( I hope not long term but I hope that he one day soon is happy and well enough to comeback to footy. However footy is not the be all and end all ).
    #TitansThruNThru #WeAreReady

Anyone able to post the link to Paul Kents article in the Tele yesterday about modern players and their ability to handle adversity. Taylor and Peachey got a big mention and the article was so so true.

Coddled NRL players unable to cope with pressure outside footy bubble
    Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
    June 10, 2019 7:24pm
    Subscriber only

“We’ve got to be full-time footballers every week, not part-time,” Arthur said of his Parramatta Eels.

He was talking about a team of hardened professionals who, already trailing 14-6, clocked off and let in 24 points over 22 minutes to murder any chance they had to win.

Arthur was having none of the excuse offered afterwards, that the loss of captain Clint Gutherson knocked the Eels from their game plan.

Gutherson was gone half an hour earlier.

What was missing was effort. The kind of effort professionals are employed to do.

Professional footballer is a misunderstood term in the modern game.

Nowadays, it seems to mean a week at home kicking back on Fortnite and planning Saturday night with the boys because it’s an away game, with a little footy thrown in to pay the bills.

And if things don’t go right in the only way that matters for the fans, that they actually lose the game, well, you just don’t understand the pressure of being an NRL player.

In the same week that Parramatta texted through their effort against Cronulla Ash Taylor walked into Gold Coast headquarters and asked for extended leave.

Taylor is 24 and earning $1 million a season to play for the Gold Coast. He made no offer to his employer to deduct his pay for work not done, which is common in the real world when an employee asks for indefinite leave.

Taylor’s bad habits have been part of the NRL dialogue since certainly the off-season.

Most are self-inflicted while others are the kinds of problems we all encounter in life and yet still have to get out of bed each day and get on with an honest day’s work. We might not be at our best but we give our best.

In the same week Taylor sought leave Titans head of performance and culture Mal Meninga also revealed that Tyrone Peachey is suffering home sickness and they have had a conversation about him returning to Penrith, just half a season into his three-year contract.

“Family comes first,” Meninga said, leaving it open for a deal.

Men will move across the country to take a job in the mines for a pay rise. There were times when family would sacrifice, together, for a better future.

Nowadays, everybody wants comfortable suffering. Adversity must be acceptable.

Many of Taylor’s problems could have been headed off if someone was willing to have the tough conversation with him earlier.

Instead, a culture of apology drives the NRL.

When Taylor waddled through last season overweight and out of form many rightfully questioned the weight he was carrying and its effect on his form.

His club was quick to defend him, claiming weight was not a problem.

Only when Taylor began this season having finally lost the weight was it finally OK to address the elephant at the buffet.

“The biggest thing is to make sure I am fit and healthy enough to ensure I am playing for that full 80 minutes and not fading out of games,” Taylor told NRL.com before the season, revealing he had stripped six kilograms over the summer.

Apparently it was acceptable to speak of his weight only once it was on favourable terms.

Buoyed by the praise, Taylor spoke of his new-found application at the Titans.

“You get injuries and you think ‘it will be all right’ but this year I am looking after all my bumps and bruises and preparing like I am getting ready for a game each time I go to training,” he said.

Would we be so forgiving if someone else in a high pressure job, a surgeon about to operate on your heart, had such a laid-back approach to their job?

This, from a young man being paid $1 million a year.

There is not a job in the country where somebody is paid $1 million a year and it does not involve pressure.

Yet in the NRL every indulgence is made to remove the impediments to performance, without the realisation it softens the underbelly.

Instead of being protected from adversity and ill-prepared to handle setbacks when they arrive the young men in the NRL should be educated, exposed to the broader realities of life and accountability, like athletes around the world.

Professionalism is not a sometime thing.

Heart surgeons don’t get to say they “just didn’t turn up”.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Anyone able to post the link to Paul Kents article in the Tele yesterday about modern players and their ability to handle adversity. Taylor and Peachey got a big mention and the article was so so true.
    I’d love to see it too.
    Some debutant poster had a crack at me last week for daring to wonder how normal
    People with normal wages like most of us somehow cope with financial pressure, sick parents, death of loved ones, sick kids, bullied kids, disabled kids, health problems, plus the myriad of life pressures and yet can rock up to Work day in day out battling away.
    They are the ones I give a shout out to. The battlers of our community that just keep on going.

I want Taylor quickly up and about too and do support him getting well 110% because you always want people to be doing well plus if he’s doing well then our team is doing well and we’ve invested heavily in him. So get well ATay!!

But yeah we are/were coming 15th, his Coach is under immense pressure and he’s high tailed it out of there on $20k a week salary and Part of me struggles a bit with that.

EDIT-I see JB posted it while I was typing away.Thanks JB

Not sure about the hype for Tanah Boyd. Obviously Brisbane see both Dearden and O'Sullivan ahead of him so what's the catch here?

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Coddled NRL players unable to cope with pressure outside footy bubble
    Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
    June 10, 2019 7:24pm
    Subscriber only

“We’ve got to be full-time footballers every week, not part-time,” Arthur said of his Parramatta Eels.

He was talking about a team of hardened professionals who, already trailing 14-6, clocked off and let in 24 points over 22 minutes to murder any chance they had to win.

Arthur was having none of the excuse offered afterwards, that the loss of captain Clint Gutherson knocked the Eels from their game plan.

Gutherson was gone half an hour earlier.

What was missing was effort. The kind of effort professionals are employed to do.

Professional footballer is a misunderstood term in the modern game.

Nowadays, it seems to mean a week at home kicking back on Fortnite and planning Saturday night with the boys because it’s an away game, with a little footy thrown in to pay the bills.

And if things don’t go right in the only way that matters for the fans, that they actually lose the game, well, you just don’t understand the pressure of being an NRL player.

In the same week that Parramatta texted through their effort against Cronulla Ash Taylor walked into Gold Coast headquarters and asked for extended leave.

Taylor is 24 and earning $1 million a season to play for the Gold Coast. He made no offer to his employer to deduct his pay for work not done, which is common in the real world when an employee asks for indefinite leave.

Taylor’s bad habits have been part of the NRL dialogue since certainly the off-season.

Most are self-inflicted while others are the kinds of problems we all encounter in life and yet still have to get out of bed each day and get on with an honest day’s work. We might not be at our best but we give our best.

In the same week Taylor sought leave Titans head of performance and culture Mal Meninga also revealed that Tyrone Peachey is suffering home sickness and they have had a conversation about him returning to Penrith, just half a season into his three-year contract.

“Family comes first,” Meninga said, leaving it open for a deal.

Men will move across the country to take a job in the mines for a pay rise. There were times when family would sacrifice, together, for a better future.

Nowadays, everybody wants comfortable suffering. Adversity must be acceptable.

Many of Taylor’s problems could have been headed off if someone was willing to have the tough conversation with him earlier.

Instead, a culture of apology drives the NRL.

When Taylor waddled through last season overweight and out of form many rightfully questioned the weight he was carrying and its effect on his form.

His club was quick to defend him, claiming weight was not a problem.

Only when Taylor began this season having finally lost the weight was it finally OK to address the elephant at the buffet.

“The biggest thing is to make sure I am fit and healthy enough to ensure I am playing for that full 80 minutes and not fading out of games,” Taylor told NRL.com before the season, revealing he had stripped six kilograms over the summer.

Apparently it was acceptable to speak of his weight only once it was on favourable terms.

Buoyed by the praise, Taylor spoke of his new-found application at the Titans.

“You get injuries and you think ‘it will be all right’ but this year I am looking after all my bumps and bruises and preparing like I am getting ready for a game each time I go to training,” he said.

Would we be so forgiving if someone else in a high pressure job, a surgeon about to operate on your heart, had such a laid-back approach to their job?

This, from a young man being paid $1 million a year.

There is not a job in the country where somebody is paid $1 million a year and it does not involve pressure.

Yet in the NRL every indulgence is made to remove the impediments to performance, without the realisation it softens the underbelly.

Instead of being protected from adversity and ill-prepared to handle setbacks when they arrive the young men in the NRL should be educated, exposed to the broader realities of life and accountability, like athletes around the world.

Professionalism is not a sometime thing.

Heart surgeons don’t get to say they “just didn’t turn up”.
    Oh yeah Paul Kent! That’s exactly what I was getting at last week in the immediate aftermath of the announcement about Taylor that got a few upset. So be as personal as you like in the attacks on me but I just will point out that I most definitely am not Robinson Crusoe.
    Gordon Tallis was pretty unimpressed too.

Immortal

It would be incorrect to say that the Bronco's did not want to keep Tannah and preferred others instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    Not sure about the hype for Tanah Boyd. Obviously Brisbane see both Dearden and O'Sullivan ahead of him so what's the catch here?

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    It would be incorrect to say that the Bronco's did not want to keep Tannah and preferred others instead.
    That’s what we want to hear.
    Thank you Sir MDrew

Quote Originally Posted by mdrew View Post
    But they gave Dearden and O'Sullivan a crack at first grade before Boyd. Just saying.

I don't think we have anything to lose with the signing though.
    Last edited by gotitans101_; 12-06-19 at 05:46 PM.

Immortal

Yes they both got a shot but I stand by my comment that the Broncos absolutely did not want to lose Tannah, absolutely not

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101_ View Post
    But they gave Dearden and O'Sullivan a crack at first grade before Boyd. Just saying.