Page 49 of 160 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 99 149 ... LastLast
    QLD Cup

Quote Originally Posted by indoallstars View Post
    He should take Samis spot, I like the idea of having to consistent and experienced wingers. Now that we Tyrone Roberts, Tyrone Peachey, Brian Kelly and AJ we got x factor...I think some stability would be good in the back line and of course having a goal kicker
    Ash was kicking at over 80% for a long period of time when he first started playing for us. I think having Gordon in the starting line up for that reason alone shouldn't justify his spot especially when we pay Ash so much a season. He needs to step up and take control of the team as well as the goal kicking imo.

I also often tend to think that as a club we settle for mediocrity in our wingers. I've never really bought into the whole Don fascination - yes he has been a great club man and one of our more consistent performers in an average team, but he's never set the whole alight. Winning games and excitement is what puts peoples bums on seats and having two ageing wingers doesn't achieve either of those things for me. Sami is a great up and coming talent which I feel has earned the chance at another starting crack this year. His pathway into the centres is blocked by probably the best centre pairing we have ever had (Peachey and Kelly - certainly not Copley), so why not encourage him to keep developing into a class winger. I'm not really sure what to do with the other spot so Don probably gets it by default but I wouldn't mind seeing Brenko having a run or two there.

Also T Roberts as x-factor? After what I saw in the super league last year I'd have Jacks over him by a long shot

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Props: James, Wallace, Boyd, MoFo, Stockwell, Boyle, Latu and Whitbread.
    Edges: King, Arrow, Cartwright, Proctor and Hipgrave.
    Middle: Pick from above.

I haven’t included Matthews for obvious reasons nor Peachey who’s a back.
    We're going to have some interesting trials this year aren't we?? It'll be good to see who gets selected for round 1.

For me, assuming all are fit and firing...I'd go with...

Props ; Wallace and James.

Edges ; Proctor and King.

Lock ; Arrow.

Bench ; Boyd, Mo Fo, Boyle and Rein

I'd love to see Cartwright and Latu rediscover their form. Latu can be a damaging player and Cartwright...well, we all know what he is capable of. Still, those two are "fingers crossed" at the moment.

I really hope that both Boyle and King are at 100% with their fitness and are ready to rip in!

Another puzzle for GB. The 1, 6, 7, 9 and one on the bench. Which spine combination to go with???

The candidates ; Gordon, Brimson, Rein, Peats, Jacks, Taylor, Peachey, Roberts and Arthars (If he gets a shot, who knows??)

Fire away....

I think Ryley Jacks may surprise, I think he will compliment Ash with his style of play. The big question is where does Peachey play this will have an effect on who plays where and the dynamics of the team. Agree with Menoitois, the trials this year will play a big part moving forward in the structure with what Brennan wants to install, isn't it great to finally have some depth and the headaches that this will cause is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    I think Ryley Jacks may surprise, I think he will compliment Ash with his style of play. The big question is where does Peachey play this will have an effect on who plays where and the dynamics of the team. Agree with Menoitois, the trials this year will play a big part moving forward in the structure with what Brennan wants to install, isn't it great to finally have some depth and the headaches that this will cause is a good thing
    Is true, not much has been said of Jacks and I’ve always thought him to be of good value. I’m still not sold on Peachey at 5/8 yet (does he have a kicking game?) - but I want him there as a Centre for the first 6 months at least. To me he is an absolute game changer and can do anything on the day.

I want Gordon on a wing as he can score tries , and is our No 1 goalkicker. I can’t see pushing that to Ash as a good option until he regains some on field form and game management.

The headaches re depth are so welcome - Kudos to Garth and all involved in recruiting.

Just imagine if Cartwright finds form.....

Roll on Season start...

I like Jacks too and I think we are underplaying the value of an experienced defensive leader at fullback. Gordon is more than a goal kicker but then again we defended like crap last year. Bring back Wilbur? ... just saying. Peachey’s only fairdinkum starting position is left centre so where do Kelly and Copley fit? Proctor will need to pick up his game to make this team ... the running off Taylor play every ruck has to go.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior

I am firmly in the Ryley Jacks camp as well. A calm head, solid long kicking game, good organisational skills. Runs plays well and defends well (from memory).
    Let Peachey play centre and drift a little.
    The key for me is going to be how the halves, whoever they may be, react. Ash, for mine hasn’t shown a lot as far as reacting to what’s in front of him or reacting to calls from other players. I think we can agree he goes through the motions a bit at times.
    So if Peach, or AJ or Sami sees something and is screaming for the ball are we just going to see a repeat of the hit the next forward or are we going to get a bit of eyes up footy.
    P

I'd have Gordon & Don on the wings. Their spot to lose. AJ at fullback. Cops and Peach as our centres. Jacks and ATay as our halves. Props & 2RF can sort themselves out but obviously no friggin Matthews and no Hipgrave unless we see improvement in him.

Gordon HAS to be in the team. If young AJ goes down then Gordon can be a handy experienced backup.

I’m leaning towards Peachey and Kelly in the centres. Both can score tries.

The more I look the more I think the team would fit together better if Taylor wasn't around. Too many half options, too many fullback options.

Peachey should start in the centres, I pity the winger outside him, but after seeing him play FB for the Pennies last year he'd be great there too. Copley will probably get the other centre spot till the inevitable injury and get replaced every other week with a stop gap that we all complain about is terrible in defense. AJ will probably start in the halfs again but by seasons end will be fullback. Sami stays, Don probably stays, that edge will still be a defensive liability unless James plays both sides of the field because he has mastered the art of teleportation in the offseason or Arrow becomes a Hindmarsh and averages 65 tackles a game because sideshow bob can't get up fast enough after a tackle and get into position.

I'm happy with our acquisitions this year however it's our existing players that worry me. Without improvement from the likes of Taylor, Proctor, Cartwright (which I rate at a 1% chance of improvement) and a stable outside back line I think we are in for another heart attack year of 'score more points than they put on us'.

QLD Cup

With so many options to choose from I wouldnt be surprised to see Kelly on a wing.

First Grader

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    I’m leaning towards Peachey and Kelly in the centres. Both can score tries.
    The wingers will be lucky to touch the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Upthetits View Post
    The wingers will be lucky to touch the ball
    I don’t care who scores them !

I saw a pic on FB today of our rotund No. 7 at training. He’s dropped his baby fat and is looking good. Hopefully it converts to performance on field.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    I saw a pic on FB today of our rotund No. 7 at training. He’s dropped his baby fat and is looking good. Hopefully it converts to performance on field.
    Well, if he's dropped his "baby fat".......why call him rotund??

Ash will have a corker this year!!