Page 42 of 160 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Menoitios View Post
    I have my fingers crossed that he'll develop well. I remembered reading an article about him when we nabbed him. Scotty Sattler has big wraps. That's where I read that Melbourne wouldn't have minded keeping him....

Gold Coast, a club building an impressive squad for the future, have slipped under the guard of Melbourne and secured another teenager of raw talent to join the likes of AJ Brimson, Phillip Sami and Moeaki Fotuaika.

Kea Pere, an 18-year-old who can play in the centres or on the wing, impressed earlier this year with Easts Tigers in the Intrust Super Cup after playing for Queensland under 18s in 2017.

A former Ipswich State High student, he is in the Storm system after playing Holden Cup last year for them. However, the Titans have snared him from next season to join a backline that is developing good depth with Anthony Don, Dale Copley and Brenko Lee re-signing last month to add to 2018 newcomer Tyrone Peachey, plus Michael Gordon, Konrad Hurrell, Brimson, Sami and Ash Taylor.

Titans coach Garth Brennan received a tip on Pere and then received a glowing recommendation from the club's former football manager Scott Sattler, who is an ISC commentator for Channel 9.

"He's a very good player and they're getting him at the right age," Sattler said.

"He's a very dynamic centre. He has a lot of speed but also very good evasive skills but can also play a real power game. The way the modern centre is going to go, he fits that mould perfectly.

"I know Melbourne were very keen to keep him so to get a player from the Storm system is an art within itself. He's a tremendous prospect.

"I first saw him play last year and was impressed with his raw ability and aggression. Then I saw him playing for Easts Tigers in the Intrust Super Cup this year and, while he was a boy playing against men, he wasn't out of his depth at all.

"There's so much development in him, they're getting a blank canvas that is built on natural ability".

The Titans may be out of the running for the finals but they have had success in developing young talent in the past three seasons – most from the south-east Queensland region.

Brimson has been outstanding at age 19, Sami – who may be suited to centre as he develops – has held his own on the wing this season and 18-year-old Fotuaika, picked up from an open trial, has been a revelation up front.

Max King debuted last year at 19 in the middle and has developed into a must-pick forward for Brennan, as has 21-year-old Keegan Hipgrave, who has just re-signed, with former Broncos Jai Whitbread, 20, having debuted in round 18 while 20-year-old Kiah Cooper has impressed at wing/centre for Tweed Heads in the ISC.

Yet the Titans have lacked an attacking edge out wide, an explosive player who can regularly break the defensive line. While Peachey provides that capability, whichever position the NSW Origin rep plays in 2019, Pere could also develop into that missing link.

Don and Gordon are the only squad members over 30, with Ryan James only 27, his best years are still ahead, along with Maroons duo Jarrod Wallace (27) and Jai Arrow (23).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/03/...pect-kea-pere/
    Haha Sattler does us a few favours in the media it’s a good thing but I can tell you they didn’t re-offer him a contract

Quote Originally Posted by Hail Sezer View Post
    Haha Sattler does us a few favours in the media it’s a good thing but I can tell you they didn’t re-offer him a contract
    Fair enough, I'm happy to take your word for it.....but I like Sats's version better!! Haha!!

Last edited by Menoitios; 29-11-18 at 10:14 PM.

With Johnson going to the Sharks I reckon we should have a crack at Kyle Flanagan. He would have to be disappointed with the signing of Johnson because he is verging on playing first grade himself. He is a great organizational half back and I reckon we could throw Taylor to 6 which could give him room to play what’s in front of him instead of trying to run the team.

Inactive User

^^^^ they will be looking to offload someone that’s for sure.

Exactly, I don’t think Flanagan will play second fiddle to Johnson for too long either. From memory the Roosters tried to have a crack at Flanagan this year already and the Sharks only locked him down for a year to stop him from leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Exactly, I don’t think Flanagan will play second fiddle to Johnson for too long either. From memory the Roosters tried to have a crack at Flanagan this year already and the Sharks only locked him down for a year to stop him from leaving.
    I'm not disagreeing with you but with Kyle's old man coaching the team, don't you think his interests would be protected.

We could end up with Flanagan x 2 and a crap-fight over cap issues or we could just sit back and watch the Wobbies implode and them ending up in Perth. Do like the kid though.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I totally agree with you yet Flanagan’s path to first grade have been blocked with this latest recruitment choice and unless coach Flanagan is going to drop a premiership winner, an international player or an origin rep Kyle won’t be going anywhere near the nrl.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I totally agree with you yet Flanagan’s path to first grade have been blocked with this latest recruitment choice and unless coach Flanagan is going to drop a premiership winner, an international player or an origin rep Kyle won’t be going anywhere near the nrl.
    Wouldn't be that hard to drop Chad Townsend would it?

Holmes has no chance of making it in the NFL. We should put some cash aside for him next year.

Inactive User

With Bennett now sacked there may be a signing opportunity almost immediately. I’d say Jimmy The Ingrate might be keen for a return and a number of those big young forwards are there because of him.

We should aim for much better than Alex Glenn, he had his chance when in his prime.

Ye Ode Tossa Bennett and the Gen Y Tugga Seibold ... let’s watch that little pussy fight unravel.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    With Bennett now sacked there may be a signing opportunity almost immediately. I’d say Jimmy The Ingrate might be keen for a return and a number of those big young forwards are there because of him.

We should aim for much better than Alex Glenn, he had his chance when in his prime.
    I’m just not sure I could stomach Jimmy the Jerk returning...

Inactive User

^^^^ that’s fair enough and I reckon you would be in the majority BUT im confident he will be back in Titans Colours in 2020 but with Bennett sacked it might be sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by rj62 View Post
    I’m just not sure I could stomach Jimmy the Jerk returning...
    Me either. He is always just one minute away from an off field headline so do we want the risk. Seems like a pretty ordinary human to me so I'll pass.