Page 115 of 160 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2400

Gold Coast Titans don’t have salary cap space for Alex Glenn
    The problems facing incoming Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook are multiplying, with Mal Meninga revealing the struggling Titans don’t have the salary cap funds to sign Alex Glenn from Brisbane.

Peter Badel, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
    Subscriber only
    |
    an hour ago

Gold Coast have ruled out a poaching raid on Broncos veteran Alex Glenn due to a salary cap squeeze that has left the Titans with just $100,000 to rebuild the club as a premiership force.

Titans culture chief Mal Meninga told The Sunday Mail his hopes of snaring Glenn have been torpedoed by financial roadblocks that illustrate the enormous task ahead for incoming coach Justin Holbrook.

Despite languishing in last-place, headed for their second wooden-spoon in eight years, the cash-strapped Titans are almost at their salary cap limit.

Past administrators have farcically bungled the Gold Coast’s salary cap management, leaving Meninga and new recruitment chief Ezra Howe the complex task of reconstructing the Titans’ roster with limited funds.

Glenn remains off-contract at Brisbane and revealed during the week he is open to joining the Titans given his links to the region, with the 255-game Bronco having lived on the Gold Coast for the past 16 years.

Meninga said Glenn, one of the NRL’s most professional trainers, would be an ideal recruit to spearhead a new era under Holbrook, but concedes the Titans cannot table an attractive offer.

“To be honest we only have $100,000 to spend in the salary cap — that’s all we have got,” Meninga said.

“We are jammed for funds under the salary cap.

“I would love to sign Alex Glenn. He is a quality player and a great leader, he could definitely enhance the club, but financially I don’t think we can afford him.

“There’s definitely interest in Alex from our end, but it’s having the ability to pay what a player of his quality is worth.”

The Titans’ salary cap position means any roster overhaul will not happen any time soon, with new coach Holbrook tasked with delivering success in 2020 with essentially the same squad that imploded this season.

And the Titans will soon face fresh retention headaches. The club has 14 top-liners coming off-contract next year, headlined by Origin ironman Jai Arrow, boom rookie AJ Brimson and key forwards Ryan James, Nathan Peats and Kevin Proctor.

Leading playmaker Tyrone Roberts and winger Phillip Sami are others who will be playing for contracts, but it will give Holbrook and Meninga the opportunity to free up cap space by moving on those who aren’t performing.

“We have got to work through our contracted list at the moment,” Meninga said.

“That’s part of our dilemma — trying to improve the team if we possibly can with the players we’ve got under the salary cap.

“We believe we have enough depth in our ranks to make some progress, but we are always on the lookout for quality people.”

Broncos legend Darren Lockyer believes the Titans can make significant improvement under Holbrook next season.

“I think we will see the Titans start to regenerate their roster over the next two to three years,” he said. “If their salary cap is tight, the Gold Coast have to find a way to get the current group collectively lifting their games.”

Hang on, whose doing the hiring and firing these days? I would've thought in coming Holbrook would've had the main say.

Also, to stop the players from burning through coaches. Maybe a new clause should be written into players contracts (from now on), that states if a head coach gets moved on, all players contracts are open to be renegotiated at the clubs discretion (and in-coming HC). That way we don't set up situations like Holbrook is about to walk into where basically he's gotta cop this lot for another two years before he can put the broom though the joint. If players are demanding so much money these days, they got to be held accountable to some extent to the clubs well being (i.e. Keep the peace with Admin & HC).

This nonsense what we've had with Henry and Brennan should be the clubs decision only, not influenced by the players, like the rot we've had previously.
    Last edited by Toads; 10-08-19 at 07:09 PM.

lol wooden spooners with no cap space. What a complete and utter joke.

Good point Toads. Players have "get out" clauses so why can't clubs. Our coach leaves we can activate a clause to terminate your contract.

gotitans101_ we are basically the bulldogs from two years ago. Look where they are now.

Inactive User

Calamity Annesley and Garth well done

NRL
    Tyrone Peachey changes his mind on Titans future — again
    Tyrone Peachey’s career at the Gold Coast Titans has been so up and down it could be a Dreamworld rollercoaster. Now it seems he’s done it again.
    Phil Rothfield, sports editor-at-large, The Sunday Telegraph
    PEACH BACKFLIPS — AGAIN
    UTILITY star Tyrone Peachey has done another backflip … he now wants to stay at Gold Coast Titans under new coach Justin Holbrook next season.
    He had twice previously asked for a release to return home to Sydney. Peachey told Mal Meninga of his intentions to stay last week.
    His change of heart would suggest the issue on the Gold Coast was a poor relationship with former coach Garth Brennan. In fact, there was talk the pair were on non-speaking terms.

QLD Cup

We already knew the cap space was tight going into next year didn't we? Brennan came out with that at the start of the season saying that we are set for the next two years.

There are several things that the club can do to free up a small amount of cash though such as:

- Telling Rein that he is free to go to the super league next season. He has played some decent footy his year which could attract him some decent coin. I know most would rather get rid of Peats but Rein is here for two years and Peats only one.

- Pay half of Latu's freight for the super league. I'd imagine that this would require him being selected for the rest of the season though so potential suitors are given ample opportunity to see what he possesses.

- Lee, Stockwell, Gordon, Matthews and Arthars are all gone next season (or should be). They wont be leaving any money decent money behind but it is a good chance to sign some juniors and actually play them for once.

A lot would depend on the first two options but if they could make it happen then there should be enough money in the cap to sign a decent second rower.

I'm still sitting on the fence about Peachey. I know he has had a woeful season but if he wants to be here and prepared to get stuck in then I'd be prepared to give him a second chance next season. I look at our list and don't see anyone in it apart from AJ that that break a game apart. Peachey provides that and the one thing that we need to be doing to get crowds coming back is playing exciting footy. In saying that however, if there is anymore of his nonsense then he can trott off back to Sydney.

So reading between the lines, Panthers have pulled out of their contract talks with him. The news just keeps getting worse for this club and we haven't even heard what sponsors we'll be losing in the off season yet.

If I was the club I'd be hiring houseboats for mad monday and loading them with coke and cameras.

Any money we save will be eaten up in the inflated contracts we end up paying arrow and AJ to stay. They have to make a stand now. Market value with no more than 3 year contracts (prefer 2 + 1 CO).

Inactive User

Because we suck my love of watching the game has departed me but today I thought I’d watch the games because it was the top 4 teams.

What hit me was we are wayyyyyyyyy less fit than the top 4 teams. Their ability to go effort on effort is light years ahead

Holbrook needs to bring in an entirely new fitness/strength/conditioning team of his own and needs to be in boot camp mode with no footy’s being used for months.
    It actually gives me cause for optimism, our blokes could improve heaps if he punishes them like no other.

19,500 crowd at Gosford. Wait for the bear fans or Singleton to start their rants again.

Inactive User

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    19,500 crowd at Gosford. Wait for the bear fans or Singleton to start their rants again.
    We’d get more than 20k if we were top 4 playing another top 4 team this late in the season
    The Community would be amped

Super signing: Win for Meninga in battle to rescue Titans
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    18 minutes ago

Titans culture chief Mal Meninga has struck the first successful blow in his pledge to keep local products on the Gold Coast by staving off Sydney clubs to snare halfback young gun Toby Sexton.

Meninga said a fortnight ago that the days of other NRL clubs raiding the Gold Coast were over and he has secured Queensland under-18s playmaker Sexton to a three-year, $300,000 contract.

Sexton was off-contract with the Bulldogs and the Sharks were so keen on the Palm Beach Currumbin playmaker that Cronulla premiership halfback Chad Townsend spoke to him in a bid to lure the teenager to “the Shire”.

Sexton on Sunday pledged his future to the Titans after meeting with recruitment chief Ezra Howe and Meninga, who is determined to stem the talent drain that saw Broncos sensation Payne Haas quit the club four years ago.

The 18-year-old Australian Schoolboys star will join the Titans’ full-time NRL squad next season either as an understudy to Ash Taylor or possible scrumbase partner for Gold Coast’s $1 million halfback.

“It’s a real coup for the Titans,” said Sexton’s manager Tas Bartlett.

“Toby had some interest from Sydney and he seriously considered the Sharks, but after meeting with Mal and Ezra, he was really impressed with their vision for the Titans.

“He’s a Gold Coast kid so the opportunity to stay close to his family and play NRL for the Titans was too good to refuse.”

At PBC last year, Sexton rubbed shoulders with halfback sensation Tom Dearden, who made his NRL debut for the Broncos this year aged 18, and six weeks ago, Sexton was named in the Australian Schoolboys squad alongside boom Sydney Roosters recruit Sam Walker.

In May, Sexton was man of the match in Tweed Heads’ 48-14 thumping of Illawarra in the national under-18s final, scoring 20 points from a try and eight goals.

The Titans have previously lost the likes of Haas and Chooks premiership pivot Luke Keary, who was rejected by the Gold Coast under-20s.

“Before coming to the Titans, I could never understand why so many of the best young players that our region consistently produces ended up playing at other clubs,” Meninga said recently.

“The first thing we needed to do to make sure these talented kids were kept on the Gold Coast was to improve the quality of our recruitment team, and implement the programs and systems we needed to give these kids the pathway they craved to go all the way to the NRL.

“Previously, Gold Coast kids had to go to other clubs to get these pathways.

“But not anymore.

“The Titans will no longer miss out on the best kids being produced in the Gold Coast nursery.”

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by JunctionBlock View Post
    Super signing: Win for Meninga in battle to rescue Titans
    Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
    18 minutes ago

Titans culture chief Mal Meninga has struck the first successful blow in his pledge to keep local products on the Gold Coast by staving off Sydney clubs to snare halfback young gun Toby Sexton.

Meninga said a fortnight ago that the days of other NRL clubs raiding the Gold Coast were over and he has secured Queensland under-18s playmaker Sexton to a three-year, $300,000 contract.

Sexton was off-contract with the Bulldogs and the Sharks were so keen on the Palm Beach Currumbin playmaker that Cronulla premiership halfback Chad Townsend spoke to him in a bid to lure the teenager to “the Shire”.

Sexton on Sunday pledged his future to the Titans after meeting with recruitment chief Ezra Howe and Meninga, who is determined to stem the talent drain that saw Broncos sensation Payne Haas quit the club four years ago.

The 18-year-old Australian Schoolboys star will join the Titans’ full-time NRL squad next season either as an understudy to Ash Taylor or possible scrumbase partner for Gold Coast’s $1 million halfback.

“It’s a real coup for the Titans,” said Sexton’s manager Tas Bartlett.

“Toby had some interest from Sydney and he seriously considered the Sharks, but after meeting with Mal and Ezra, he was really impressed with their vision for the Titans.

“He’s a Gold Coast kid so the opportunity to stay close to his family and play NRL for the Titans was too good to refuse.”

At PBC last year, Sexton rubbed shoulders with halfback sensation Tom Dearden, who made his NRL debut for the Broncos this year aged 18, and six weeks ago, Sexton was named in the Australian Schoolboys squad alongside boom Sydney Roosters recruit Sam Walker.

In May, Sexton was man of the match in Tweed Heads’ 48-14 thumping of Illawarra in the national under-18s final, scoring 20 points from a try and eight goals.

The Titans have previously lost the likes of Haas and Chooks premiership pivot Luke Keary, who was rejected by the Gold Coast under-20s.

“Before coming to the Titans, I could never understand why so many of the best young players that our region consistently produces ended up playing at other clubs,” Meninga said recently.

“The first thing we needed to do to make sure these talented kids were kept on the Gold Coast was to improve the quality of our recruitment team, and implement the programs and systems we needed to give these kids the pathway they craved to go all the way to the NRL.

“Previously, Gold Coast kids had to go to other clubs to get these pathways.

“But not anymore.

“The Titans will no longer miss out on the best kids being produced in the Gold Coast nursery.”
    Good kid, great talent, and if the numbers are to be believed a much better buy than Sam Walker.

Immortal

Good signing Titans and it is another example of the Titans focussing on their junior development system.

The TEDS program is the corner stone of our future, well done to Jamie McCormack.

First Grader

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bods View Post
    Because we suck my love of watching the game has departed me but today I thought I’d watch the games because it was the top 4 teams.

What hit me was we are wayyyyyyyyy less fit than the top 4 teams. Their ability to go effort on effort is light years ahead

Holbrook needs to bring in an entirely new fitness/strength/conditioning team of his own and needs to be in boot camp mode with no footy’s being used for months.
    It actually gives me cause for optimism, our blokes could improve heaps if he punishes them like no other.
    I have been saying that for a while now.

Our players are both not fit enough to sustain high levels of effort for long periods of time nor are they strong enough as they are continually dominated in the play the ball area and are falling off tackles due to lack of strength.

Our strength and conditioning coach is light years behind the top teams and I would say most teams that unless this is fixed no coach will be able to improve our team
    Last edited by Whats Doing; 12-08-19 at 06:42 AM.